Opposition is revealed! Now I haz questions

IMO, having some oppositions that match the playable races is cool. It gives more depth to the races and conceptual parity like that is elegant. I doubt they would restrict themselves to ONLY that though. That would be boring.

Well, I was proven wrong pretty quickly there.

I'm dying to see what the Cryoshade's mechanics looks like.

The cryoshade update was MUCH better for me.

I actually know WHY I want to fight this thing. That alone makes it a head and shoulder above the last update. Really, that one still leaves me scratching my head.

Agreed. Nobody tries to muscle in on my criminal action like that. When I get my hands on them, they'll be sleeping with the cyber-quasi metallic fishes. 

You are too kind Spiff, I usually forget to leave enough pieces for the fish :wink:

Interplanetary baking competition? 

Oh boy. Can't wait for Spiffs reaction to that one if he thought Dwarfs were strange...

It's basically Omitron with a cupcake for a sibling

Spiff has been beaten down enough that he isn't going to raise a stink about interstellar recipe robots.  I give up, already.

I am a little confused by the Kickstarter update though.  There were two probes, one turned into the Omega Singularity, but I'm not clear on what happened to the other one.  The update says it was "memorialized in a shrine to peace", which should mean that a shrine to peace was built to memorialize it, and therefore it's still buzzing around someplace.  However, maybe they meant to say "enshrined in a shrine to peace", which would indicate that it was physically installed in the shrine and therefore it's not still buzzing around somewhere.  So, is the Omega Singularity the only boss recipe (sigh) robot out there, or is there another?

Good point! It is enshrined in a shrine to peace, so we'll clarify that in the future. Also, fwiw, the Omega Singularity is not a recipe probe - all of the culinary knowledge remained with the other space probe, and is entirely absent in the civilization-destroying Omega Singularity.

I suppose there's no point in asking why, if the Boss ship is just about destruction (not baking), the other probe with the baking was even included in the background?  Sounds like we'll never encounter it, so its only effect is to confuse things and make the ferocious one we will encounter seem more ridiculous.  Maybe a little editing could tighten up that story a bit.

What is the point of even mentioning the first probe and the galactic bake off? Seems to me the 2nd probe could have gone rouge in the narrative without going into that other stuff. 

So, it's either that this game will be a little "zanny" thematically (not opposed to that nessesarily) or the 1st probe will be important to the narrative later on. Maybe a gnomish pastry chef will be our first expansion pilot. 

Im laughing pretty hard right now. It's a mix of confusion and my continuing anticipation to play this thing. 

The first picture in that update looked a bit like a cross between an Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device (aka portal gun) and a turret (from the same game) :D.

From what I gather the other probe was there to provide the confusion in the probes so that the Singularity ended up with the seek out and find other planets (from the baking probe), learn their war technology (a corrupted version of the baking probe using bits from the minesweeper probe), and destroy the planets (a corrupted version of the minesweeper probe with bits of the baking probe). 

I think it all came out very confused... not just the delivery of the backstory, but the mood of the game... once again, I get the feeling it doesn't know what it wants to be. At least that's the feeling I get. 

There's nothing wrong with breaking genres and combining moods (I love me a good action comedy or dark satire) but I think the issue I have is lack of cohesion in the feeling of the universe this game is set in. The Opposition forces all seem a bit on the more comical side (giant laser dragon roaming the spacescape, huge umbrella blocking stars, and now a confused sentient probe) which I feel don't quite add up to the terrible intergalactic threat that would unite this motley crew of ne'er-do-wells and people-of-questionable-reputation into a Galactic Strike Force that would represent the universe's last chance against destruction. 

I'm still committed to the game and still think it will be a fun experience, but I definitely think it will require some imaginative revisioning of the story by the player to make it really work thematically. 

Well they certainly are not threats that a "normal" huge force of good guys would want or need to take down quite yet I totally agree with you. But maybe thats the point? A band of a few rouge pilots are seeing things emerging that could eventually be really bad for buiness. At this point none of the opposition forces are strong enough to generate a massive galactic threat, so it makes sense that these ruffians would move in well before its too late. Idk, just my current thought on the matter.

I can certainly see why the Strike Force are stepping in; the threats are not yet on a galactic scale, but are big enough that their home sector and the ones around it - the ones where they earn their livelihoods - are in danger of being destroyed.

I don't think I've seen anyone wearing rouge in any of the previewed pictures.

Just wait for it. It'll happen.

So-- who piloted the Exogorth and the Sarlacc in Star Wars?  Anybody?

Oh, yeah.  I guess they were just really, really dangerous space creatures, and not ships.  Mynocks still baffle me, but they were a cool, unexpected threat.

Not every creature has a pilot, and not all creatures are 'ships' in the classical sense, though it's more elegant to collectively refer to all threats in space as a 'ship' rather than "Opposition Opponent Beast/Construct Thingy."