Opposition Missions

As excited as I am for Vengeance to come out, I may actually be more excited about GSF and I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been more discussion about it. With the new update and the reveal of Opposition Missions, I was thinking we could start talking a little more.

I know you playtesters are limited in what you are able to tell us, but I was hoping someone (whether it be playtesters or creators) could give us a better idea of just how these new missions work. I'm speaking from a mechanical standpoint. What do they actually do? How do they change gameplay?

From a thematic/storytelling standpoint they sound really cool, I'm just ravenously curious as to how it (mechanically) plays out.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I almost made a post wanting to talk about the missions too, but I ended up not bothering because the only people who could say something informed about them (the play testers) can't say anything informed about them because they're play testers. I'd love more info about the game in general, too.

Yeah. Sorry, without the go-ahead from higher up, we can't tell you anything you don't already know. Mechanics or flavour alike.

I am ok with people discussing the flavor of the missions (and anything else GSF), as well as mechanical generalities. The main thing to avoid are specific mechanics.

Well, they all have the same basic concept.

SYNOPSIS

X is happening. Can something be done about it? Things like "The Bareg Threllian Syndicate has hired a notorious bounty hunter to kill you, by putting a massive bounty on your head. Now he will inevitably come and take you out... unless you fake your own death and collect first!" or "In an effort to stop the Technovore invasions, the inhabitants of this planet have set up a MASSIVE energy web around the planet. Will it succeed in repelling the attacks, or will it fail miserably?"

OBJECTIVE:

What you are trying to accomplish, or other misc. criteria.

RESULT:

What happens when the objective is fulfilled. Like most cards in the game, they are double-sided, so the objectives usually fall into one of 2 categories.

Try to do this (good) thing; if you do, the card flips, and something good happens. If you fail, this card is scrapped.

or

Make sure this (bad) thing doesn't happen. If it does, flip the card, and bad things happen. If you succeed, scrap the card, and at least the bad things go away.

There's a lot of variety as to what the actual triggers are and how they effect the game, but they are fairly consistently like that, for the most part.

Was that good? Mechanical generalities, general flavor, no gameplay specifics.

My assumption is that these were added because the game as described in the Kickstarter ended up being too repetitive, or maybe didn't feel story-driven enough?

I think they sound like a great addition to the game - a deck full of alt cards for your villains to make it feel different each time you play them.

I'm also really excited, but I think Spiff is right. We aren't going to see this side of the forum light up until after GSF and perhaps it's next expansion come out. No one knows anything yet. Though I must say, the idea that we can be doing a primary mission and side quests on top of the "purchase" cards thing… it can be a lot of crazy fun if it doesn't become too "busy"…

Unrelated, what's that term people have been using to describe (negatively) Sentinels propensity to have too much different stuff happening at the same time. I want to say finicky but that isn't right and it is bugging me

Fiddly is generally the word that I've seen used (not that I agree, just saying that's the word I've seen used).

Actually, he added the mission cards because they came to him in a fever dream, and he thought it was a good idea.

I like it; it makes the factions unique, and now it's a LOT more story-driven and varied from game to game and faction to faction.

So how many Mission decks are there per faction in the base game?

Actually, he added the mission cards because they came to him in a fever dream, and he thought it was a good idea.

This is 100% truth. I was way sick and came out of it with a pile of new GSF stuff. I will say, some of it was likely inspired by some of the great things being discussed by our most stalwart playtesters. They're great folks.

So how many Mission decks are there per faction in the base game?

Each Opposition force has its own unique Mission Deck, and (in the playtests we've done here at the GTG Headquarters) we've never made it even most of the way through one in the course of a single game.

If there was any question as to how immersive the narrative was before, the mission deck was the answer.

The mission deck will throw out small objectives into the different sectors that tie in very well with the theme and flavor of each Opp. 

Ah, I misread the post announcing the expansion as saying that it contained a new Mission Deck for each faction, not a new Mission.

Hmm…so, if a Mission requires you to go to a specific Sector, is that determined positionally, or can players decide what Sector a Mission goes into?

They all work slightly differently. You will know where to put it. 

So, what's your favourite Mission?

The one where I have to blow up some stuff to get other stuff!
Seriously, thats a tough question to answer and not have Christopher shoot me dirty looks from miles away (they are pointy and it hurts)

Well, the question was mostly aimed at Christopher and Paul.