Pax Unpluged

So who is going to PAX unpluged Nov 17 -19.

I was on the fence but Foote as the last straw and now I am deffently going (Not to mention GTG said they are going to have a huge presences.)

I want to go for the 3 days but Need to find a place to stay or drive 1.5 each way to get there. The people around me are only going for 1 day.

I beilve GTG is going to have a great precess there. Also do you guys need volunteers? I would totaly Love to help. 

If it were totally up to me, I'd offer to let you stay at my place. But I'd have to ask my girlfriend, and I'll be honest, it'll likely be a hard sell given that we don't know eachother personally.

I can also ask a few ppl in the area if anyone has an extra room or couch space for a few days. I don't know how successfull I'll be, but I sure can ask for you.

Driving into center city philly every day to get to the convention center will be a real problem for you, I wont lie. Lived there all my life. Street parking is very rare around that area. And if you do get lucky with a space, the parking authority in the city is a racketeering business that will nail you every chance it can with most streets having low park times even on the weekends (and certainly will limit them further with a large convention). Finding the good side streets with free parking within few blocks walking distance can be very tedious, and parrellel parking on super narrow streets is hard if you are not used to it. There are parking garages around for sure, but expect NYC type rates (we are talking 30-45 bucks a day)

Luckily though, the main subway/train station runs right through the convention center. Some good advice would be to stay somewhere just outside of the city and use the SEPTA lines to get to and from the convention center. You have lower hotel costs outside of the city, and 5 bucks to ride the train to the convention center isn't terrible (better than the cab or uber fair you'd pay). I just moved right outside of the city last year, and I certainly will be taking the train in.

If anyone has questions about the area or the public trans options, feel free to ask them here or PM me. 

Thanks for the offer at any rate Foote. Will take anything at the moment.

I used to live in Center City a lifetime ago. And visit there once in a while. Also, the Turnpike rate shoot up recently, and I am not looking forward driving down I-76 after King of Prussia.

Last time I got a ticket 1 minute after time expired and 1 minute before I got there. Totaly agree. Parallel parking is not a problem, I live in a city. Parking across the Vine st ExStessway can get interesting. I feel like I might find my car on blocks (I am used to living in the bad part of town but Philly. . .)

Currently weighing my option looking for opportunity.

I am also going to Unplugged and am looking for a place to rest my head. Im looking at AirBnB's in the area and would be willing to split something with someone if thats something anyone is interested in. Biggest problem I see currently is that anything close to the convention center looks like it will be a bit expensive or doesn't have parking. At least as far as I can tell.

That's pretty much correct. Parking near the convention center will be difficult. Not impossible, but it will take more time and effort than you might feel worth it.

Look into places to stay close to the 2 subway lines in my opinion. I feel that will be an easy and cheaper option and cheaper than ubering to and from each day.

Philadelphia has a subway?!

You have the Broad Street line wich runs North/South down the middle of the city (broad street).

You also have the Market-Frankfort line which runs West/East(ish).

They intersect at City Hall in the center of the city.

Broad Street Line is a true subway. Market-Frankfort does run above ground though when traveling on the eastern part of the route.

There is also the PATCO line which runs into a few stops in Center City from New Jersy.

I am trying to work out coming, would need to get in on somewhere to sleep as well.

Well, do we want to get a small group together and discuss options, perhaps on a more quick and direct line of communication like Skype or Discord? Foote can give us some advise on city locations as we look at options, if they are willing to. Hopefully we can get something nice and not wallet busting.

Hey, y'all. I've just found out I can go to PAX Unplugged! I'll be staying with my brother.

Soooooo jealous… Just can’t afford it this year.   :cry:  

FWIW, it's mostly good timing/location that allows me to go. I was able to reroute the return flight of a work trip such that I not only needed just one additional leg of flying, but the overall cost of adding that leg was $53. And I'll only need to use one vacation day. And my brother lives walking distance away.

Ironically I can technically afford go to these things, it's more that:

1. I don't have a driver's license at all, and cons often are held in places where it's not feasible to get to and fro a hotel without a car in a place you're unfamiliar with.

2. I would feel extremely weird and awkward walking around a con all by myself.

So we can keep using the forums or talk about this on discord.

I have set up a channel for us to use. I would love to share a place, but my brother lives there is everything doesn't pan out. 

https://discord.gg/8bvZxpB

Rabit don't you have teleporting powers, One would think travel would be easy.

I'll speak for two cities I've been to professional conferences, and that are locations for major cons:

1. My general understanding is that many Indianapolis hotels have shuttles that can run to and from the convention center. When my son and I were at Gen Con 2016 for that Saturday, we saw several as we were walking from where we parked (it was a day trip).

2. Philadelphia had a decent series of airport shuttle services that would take one from the airport to one's residence. The last time I was there, I stayed at the youth hostel, and just walked to the convention center from there.

3. Chicago and Washington DC both have pretty tourist-friendly public transit systems that can get you from your airport of choice to whereever you're staying, and thence to the con location.

As for walking around alone - let's make a deal: Assuming I don't end up between jobs again next summer, we both volunter for GtG for Gen Con or Origins next year (contingent on the schedule for some PD workshops I want to attend over the summer)? That'll put us both in town basically solo, but still knowing people - and therefore having folks to walk around with on downtime.

If you volunteer for GtG and show up for the meet up dinner you will know people pretty quick.

But I totally get the walking around solo sucks part.

It's a Catch-22; volunteering to help would solve the social problem but then not leave a chance to look at the actual convention. X3 It's still a thought, though, since it would at least be a reason to go by my lonesome, and I sort of half-remember my days in retail. :P

Not trying to convince you, just to make sure you know: When you work the con for GtG, it's only for half the con – you get the remainder of the time to do with as you wish. If there are specific events you want to participate in, they'll try to work with you to make that happen, and/or you can trade shifts with other folks. 

And! "Half of the con" is often only for "half of the time the con floor is open" which is often closer to 1/3 of the time that other things are going on(at least this has been my experience).

+1 for >G working with volunteers to get to things we need/want to do. I volunteered at two Gen cons, and two PAX Easts, and I have always asked for a special consideration(for various reasons), and they've always found a way to meet their needs and mine.

I don't get to play very many board games that aren't the Uno or Parcheesi category of games where I live, so my motive for going to any tabletop con would amount to "get to actually play board games with people".

What types of tasks does volunteering involve?