Pilots and piloting

Hello, approaching my first session and I have some doubts.

First: it seems to me comic characters spend a lot of times piloting aircrafts. Avengers fly on their Quinjet, the GotG fly (and destroy) a wide range of spaceships, etc.
I am unable to find a suitable quality for challenges that involve piloting, but before going and making a new one I wanted to check if someone has solved the problem in another way. Maybe using a mix of Alertness and Technology?

Same with the “hotshot pilot” background. I have tried adventurer and military but they don’t seem to fit. I am thinking Hal Jordan here, and military seems more Steve Trevor, while adventurer is more suited to an Indiana Jones type.
Maybe a mix of the two?

Any idea from more experienced players?

I guess it depends. Flavor wise the ones the only one you haven’t mentioned that could work is Deep Space Knowledge (for those flying spaceships), Creativity (daredevil type pilots) , and Self-Discipline (remaining cool under pressure of a dogfight)

As for a background for pilot, I don’t think you can wrong with any number of them. In addition to the two ou mention I could see reasons for a pilot to have a background of Upper Class (you were born in a family that had money to let you do this for fun), Struggling (Maybe you were a pilot before things got really bad), tragic (This can be made to fit anything before tragedy struck) , Performer (you’re a stunt pilot) , Retired (this was a skill you had before retiring), criminal and former villain (Being bad doesn’t exclude you from flying a plane), Exile ( This could’ve been your thing before being forced out), Interstellar(you’re an alien flying spaceships), dynasty (flying planes was a thing your family did), Otherwordly (your more human side knows how to fly a plane), and Created (you were made to be chauffeur and flying a plane was part of that)

1 Like

In addition to all the Backgrounds @Powerhound_2000 suggested, don’t discount Unremarkable. It’s really up to you to decide what counts as “remarkable” or not. Maybe flying a plane just wasn’t such a big deal.

Thanks @Powerhound_2000 and @fjur, lots of good ideas.
Going back to my Hal Jordan idea, I think dinasty is the one that works best, with his father being his role model etc.
Still I wonder why we have military, medical and performer (professional backgrounds) and not pilot/driver, which is a trope in comics. Not complaining, mind you, we can simply add it, just wondering if I am missing something.