Prime War

I posted on our main page, but wanted to link it here so that you have a place to comment and ask questions:

https://greaterthangames.com/content/prime-war

Since the old store is gone can I still validate what I had preordered before?  How do I update the address associated with that preorder?

You should be able to go to My Account at the top of this page, and then click on Orders. For me it shows what I have ordered since December 2013, and includes my Broken City/For Profit/minis order.

I don't think it's relevant to me, but I foresee a question: is it possible to upgrade a no-minis preorder to a with-minis preorder?

Is there a cut-off date for customers to make a decision about refund requests?

Edit: never mind, I see answer in announcment "You can request a refund any time between now and then."

@Powerhound_2000

You can email contact@greaterthangames.com if you need to verify anything. We'll make another post once the game is in production in which we'll let you know it is time to update your address if necessary!

@dpt

Yes, it definitely will be before it ships!

Per the announcment “If, on the other hand, you want to “upgrade” your preorder (for example, from a “without miniatures” order to a “with miniatures” order), you can totally do that, but don’t give us more money just yet! Once Prime War is actually in production with a firm release date, we’ll post another update with information about preorders and a notice to update your address if you are still in.”

Glad to finally see this out to the public =)

The paragraph about how Prime War fits into the Sentinels story seems unnecessarily convoluted to me.  It says the Prime Aspects can draw champions from multiple realities, but there are only two realities left, Sentinels and Mist Storm.  Are we saying there are more realities than those now?  If there are more now, why bother to say that they're going to draw from Mist Storm first?  If they can pull from multiple realities, then it's a straighter line to just say they pulled the characters from multiple realities.  If you have to explain the failed Mist Storm universe to someone when trying to explain the Prime Wars universe, you're just complicating things for no good reason.  This story needs a little more editorial trimming, IMO.

All these questions have no particular order but just the order that it popped in my head.

1) my understanding from this is the sentinel tactics line is dead? Correct?

2) moving forward, the prime war line will have miniatures included instead of separate? The main goal of doing this during the sentinel tactics line was cost and keeping them down. Is that no longer a goal with Prime War? Personally I was fine with it being separate so I could still play the game but not break the wallet.

3) taking into account that miniatures look like they are now required in the game, how are the Prime war figures going to compare to the sentinel tactics figures for consentency basis? 

4) since I do not have the sentinel tactics minis, are there plans to make it easy to get this?

5) as powerhound said, the store has been changed. What is the plan to update this on the new store. Especially concerned due to the address thing.

6) if I open my sentinel tactics boxes, what exactly will be useable from it? Can we get a rough idea? Would love to still be able to use the map tiles and other things in the box without throwing it all out?

7) can you have maggie live stream a game from gen con? Or is that no longer her position?

8) since I did not get the minis for broken city/ for profit, my concern as stated above is I am now being forced to upgrade to the with minis set for Prime war, if I plan to continue playing the Prime War line after this release for consistency. Do you have a target price point that you are hoping this upgrade will be? 

9) since you are talking upgrades from no minis to minis, would you consider a bundle upgrade of some sort for the flame of freedom/uprising sets that will help it not break the bank for these figures?

10) is the story line in sentinel tactics still canon? If so, how does the stories in sentinel tactics lead into Prime war?

11) once upon a time you guys did a stream of a tactics version of akash’bhuta. Will we be seeing any of that in tactics?

12) since this has been worked on for a while, can Adam tease any art?

13) you talked about actions in secret, but how does movement work?

1) That is correct.

2) Since Tactics was released, the board game market has changed significantly. Going forward, Prime War products will include the miniatures in the box.

3) They are going to be somewhat different. Most notably, they will have a different sort of base and the sculpts will be better, more in line with the kind of miniatures we released with Fate of the Elder Gods.

4) I assume you mean easy to get the Sentinel Tactics miniatures? If so, yes! They are available for 50% off MSRP on our web store right now.

5) Before Prime War ships, we'll make an announcement that address changes are needed, and have you email us your new address.

6) The map tiles for sure, as well as the hex tokens for the characters (if you don't have the Flame of Freedom/Uprising miniatures).

7) We definitely hope to! We'll see how the connection is in the expo center; that's always the trouble with Gen Con streaming. The Letters Page and the like are all in attached hotels, so it is easier.

8) If you pre-ordered Broken City (without miniatures) and want to upgrade to a with-miniatures version, it will be the same price as if you had ordered miniatures with your Broken City preorder in the first place.

9) Possibly. As I mentioned earlier, the Tactics miniatures are already 50% off on our web store, and we intend to keep them there at that heavy discount.

10) Yes, but the details are a Christopher / Letters Page question.

11) Possibly at some point.

12) The gameplay is far ahead of the art, but he'll tease some once he has some to tease.

13) We'll go into more gameplay details at Gen Con and during our livestreams this fall.

FYI Lore Forge Games had a development update April 15, 2018 on their news page with some details.
https://loreforgegames.wordpress.com/2018/04/15/system-streamlining/ 

The notes seem to be similar to what Paul has so far described as the rules system with some other concepts as well, such as movement. I expect this should also very much be taken only as an early glimpse of the development process, and not necessarily an actual preview of what would be seen at GenCon.

Multiple Realities didn’t go away they just can’t be traversed any of at all by the heroes/villains post OblivAeon

on 3) any plans to update flame of freedom and uprising minis as well to be in with the new sculpts? This is not a bad idea so they look the same.

on 6) please keep the train. That was a fun extra for any map.

on 8) can you remind me what the price of the minis from the preorder was. Currently thinking how I want to argue this to my wife to upgrade.

new questions:

A) will you be updating the scenarios in freedom and uprising to play with new format or creating new scenarios to use those map tiles. I love the scenarios over the skirmishes from tactics and want more.

Yes, there are and have always been more than those two.  Those are the two in which Sentinel Comics took place (not counting Disparation), but very few alternate realities were completely destroyed.

I assume they're pulling from Mist Storm because 1) the core products' characters will come from there, 2) the Mist Storm universe is what used to be the Tactics universe, and they want to create continuity, and 3) the Mist Storm universe is fully fleshed out, so it's positioned well to be the "default".  They probably added in Disparation because it polled well and because Haka made no sense otherwise.

My biggest question is how long the game takes to set up.  That's the main reason my group barely touched Tactics.

Going to be interesting to see how this plays. Gameplay was what kept me away from Tactics, mostly.

I am glad to see that the current plan is to include a co-operative mode. IMO this aspect was a hallmark of Sentinels of the Multiverse and I was disappointed it hadn't carried over to Sentinel Tactics. More recently I have enjoyed playing co-op mini games such as Star Wars Imperial Assault, Mansions of Madness, and Shadows of Brimstone, so I look forward to hearing more about this aspect.

Some questions...

#1 - The original Kickstarter for Sentinel Tactics had the map pack add-ons which were to include scenarios. I understand the scenarios are currently being reworked for the new Prime War, but what compensation will be offered to customers who are not getting Prime War and have not had their original Kickstarter 100% fulfilled due to the missing scenarios?

#2 - Previously the status of Battle for Broken City and For Profit, and then Sentinel Tactics Wave 2 Prime War and Rise of the Ennead have been marked by a lack of transparency in the development process and delays, especially when compared to your other campaigns and products. What kind of transparency can we expect in the development of the current Prime War line, specifically in gameplay, and updates and delays to the projected delivery date?

#3 - Are there any plans to incorporate app interfaces for tablets and computer, like Star Wars Imperial Assault and Mansions of Madness do?

Thank you.

Will echo fenianb question on transparency on this project. We have waited a long time for info on this and regular updates would be nice.

sadly fenianb I have a feeling there won’t be any compensation for no scenarios since they can argue they are doing scenarios still with the new format. Also Kickstarter always leaves room to fanatical things if something doesn’t work

Got it.  However, I'm going to continue my opinion-giving by saying that I've always thought the Mist Storm universe was an awkward bolt-on that ran counter to the clean narrative of the end of the Multiverse.

"… and then the heroes defeated OblivAeon and in doing so, the pathways to the other universes were shut forever" is a clean ending to a clean narrative.  But GtG needed reasons for heroes and villains to fight each other in a tactical game that wasn't compatible with the world they envisioned for their RPG so they didn't stop with the clean ending.  Instead they said:

"… BUT!  There's this one other universe that's gritty and dark where everyone fights everyone else.  So there isn't just one accessible universe, there are two for… reasons."

My point here is that Tactics failed and the universe created to support it isn't necessary.  I think it should just be retconned away to keep the narrative clean.  If the narrative were:

"… but those other universes are still out there and when the Prime Aspects needed champions for their war, they drew them from the myriad of realities they alone could access", that's reasonably clean.  No Mist Storm needed.  Don't make anyone have to explain the Mist Storm universe to their friends when they're describing Prime War because it will only make people say "yeah, the Mist Storm universe was this thing from Tactics, which you've never heard of because no one wanted to play it so they invented this game instead."  I'm just saying, keep it clean.

Prime War sounds much less compatible with the original Tactics than I thought it would be. (Somehow I figured all the components, dice, etc would be the same and all we’d need is a new rule sheet.) However, I do have to say that the action selection mechanism seems like it would create a much smoother game flow than the original phases.

I’m pleased to see that there will be a cooperative mode, players vs the game! I really hope that mode works well. I am very curious how the automated villains will handle movement and targeting. The automation schemes for games like Scythe always seem so clunky to me.