Publishers’ Note #11

Surprise it’s Christopher and Paul again

Upcoming schedule:

• Tuesday, February 1st: Episode #201 - Return of the Shipping Episode
  • Tuesday, February 8th: Episode #202 - Writers’ Room: Meredith and Dana Wedding Issue
  • Tuesday, February 15th: Editor’s Note #52
  • Tuesday, February 22nd: Episode #203 - Writers’ Room: Wager Master and Madame Mittermeier’s forbidden romance

Recording Schedule:

• Friday, January 28th: Episode #201 - Return of the Shipping Episode
  • Friday, February 4th: Episode #202 - Writers’ Room: Meredith and Dana Wedding Issue
  • Friday, February 11th: Editor’s Note #52
  • Friday, February 18th: Episode #203 - Writers’ Room: Wager Master and Madame Mittermeier’s forbidden romance

I’m rather surprised that Christopher was identified as Quark instead of Garak. Stylish, friendly, and you’re pretty sure that he could kill you in various subtle and not so subtle ways.

2 Likes

I thought of that as well, but Christopher is also specifically an energetic showman, while Garak isn’t.

I personally am on the “Harry Mudd” side of things. My brain was like “Oh Christopher as Harry Mudd heck yes”.

1 Like

Oof, damn, I hope it’s just omicron. D: Get well soon, Adam.

Ooh, Spirit Island, you say? <.<

Goodness, so many tantalizing info drops. What could this hypothetical maybe-Publisher’s Note possibly be? Will we even find out?

I was kind of hoping the song would change for the situation.

Wait, what the heck Discord songs is this guy talking about? “A Little Glass of Water” is like, spoken-word, specifically because I thought deLancie did not want to sing. Or wasn’t good at it or something. <.<

I like how they just made up a project on air.

Loving Paul’s “become king of Venezuela” plan, very sound.

So what Kirk is saying is knives don’t kill people, Klingons kill people.

Man, do I love this game show music. :smiley:

…You gotta stop reading e-mails who? :open_mouth:

Okay, but I’ve got beef about the Star Trek time travel one because both directions were on purpose in Assignment: Earth were on purpose and I don’t remember the trip to the past from Tomorrow is Yesterday, but the return trip was definitely on purpose, so that would be 3 times for the 1701 of the top of my head without me even having to go digging to double check others. 1701 beats the Bounty

2 Likes

Now I’m really confused about Chokepoint and the Celestial Tribunal. Did I mishear, or did Adam say that she wasn’t there yet when the Guise story happened? That seems like a temporal mess to me.

The original Chokepoint story was that she got onboard the Tribunal after Dark Watch defeated it in orbit over Earth, and it was starting to have a crisis of conscience so it didn’t catch her, and then she went to war with it for a while and eventually won and tore out its AI core and made off with the bulk of the thing. Then Oblivaeon found the core and turned it into Sanction.

If Guise was there when the Tribunal was having a crisis of conscience… shouldn’t Chokepoint have been there? There’s no room in the timeline for it to turn bad again, return to Earth, get in a fight with Dark Watch, and then leave and have Chokepoint tear it apart.

Right, like, before he said that, I figured she was just on a different part of the ship for the Guise story or whatever, but his comment about her not being there yet made it weird. Like, it’s a big ship is a much easier explanation than she wasn’t there yet

2 Likes

And her being there messing with it might help explain why it had stopped to judge itself, like it recognized something was wrong but couldn’t figure it out.

1 Like

I think both can work. We don’t really have Christopher’s master timeline, but I imagine that if G&S going up against the Tribunal is the start of their journey that ultimately ends them on Dok’Thorath, and Sanction being made into a Scion was right as O was entering Sol space, there’s a lot of space between them for Chokepoint to get there and go off to who knows where after.

Since this happens at the start of 2015, and the whole stuff with Chokepoint, Termi-nation, and Omni-U wraps up in early 2014 (per Episode 81), It sounds like the G&S stuff happens right after Dark Watch defeated the tribunal, so to me Chokepoint is heading for the Tribunal in her little pod while this is happening. Like… as Guise and the Scholar are leaving, however they do, the last panel shows Chokepoint arriving.

2 Likes

So what is the demonym for someone from Rook City? Not “Rook” or “Rooker” is all we know!

Whoever in the chat said “Someone from RC calls someone from Megalopolis a ‘mark’” was genius. :laughing:

1 Like

I think they agreed on “Rook Citians”, which tracks with demonyms for other places that are named “*** City”.

1 Like

Really? I’ve actually never heard “Citian” before though (though I guess I’ve never lived anywhere with a “City” city). I would have expected “Rookite” myself. :B

1 Like

The original name is Brook Overbrook City and I wonder if they would still use whatever name originated from that.

Overbrook City, named for a founder (and ancestor of everybody’s favorite corrupt mayor).

Why would Christopher have difficulty leaving Venezuela if he ever arrived there? Did his mom flee the country illegally when he was a child or something? Also, I always thought the “November is the scary month” running gag was just them taking a slip of the tongue and turning it into a big elaborate joke that snowballs into a comet worthy of a Roland Emmerich movie. But since Christopher’s youthful connection with Spanish culture is noted, I figure I can ask, was he ever like traumatized by Day of the Dead a little bit? I know that’s a Mexican thing most of all, but I wouldn’t be surprised if other Latin cultures and even Spain probably also celebrate it (hell for all I know they have it in Italy, since it’s very Catholic-feeling just in general).

I know that my tendency to declare “one right answer” in a lot of cases tends not to endear me to people around here, but it’s a compulsion with me that I cannot deny myself, particularly where quality nomenclature is concerned. “Megalopolitan” is clearly the correct PROPER term for denizens of Mglps; since it’s an NYC analogue, you can fairly assume that the people are impatient enough that they wouldn’t always use that, but their alternative would probably be something very quick indeed, like “Meggoes”. And meanwhile, the correct term for a Rook City person is “Crook”, because statistically they basically all are guilty of some crime or another. A denizen such as the Montgomery family is an anomaly, and they might use something like “Rook Citian”, but that would come off as incredibly pretentious and such, so they’d be widely disliked for it, especially by the actual Crooks.

I admit that gave me a little bemused pause as well. I already knew Christopher and his folks emigrated from there but I had always got the sense it was just normally.

IIRC, it was because they kept forgetting about the month lag in soliciting episode topics so people kept accidentally suggesting “scary” topics in October forgetting that meant they’d show up in November, or something akin to that.

The Day of the Dead isn’t a Catholic holiday, FWIW. We have our own different holidays along those lines.

4 Likes