Question of the Day!

I do in fact have favorite chapters of books. For instance, my three favorite chapters in “A Clash of Kings” are the three most pivotal scenes involving Arya and Jaqen H’gar. That’s the only one I can come up with off the top of my head, but I’m sure I could think of others in time.

Definite preference for relatively soft sci-fi. Preferably a little harder than Star Wars, but not much so. Comic books are a good balance for the most part IMO; they could be improved on, but it’d be more a fine-tuning than a radical change.

I like them both for different reasons. I enjoy seeing how harder SF looks at the future and how technology will evolve. I also enjoy seeing the exploration of humanity and its future as a race that is explored in softer SF.

1 Like

QotD #103 Reply: I, too, am usually fine with either. If a story’s Soft SF, that’s okay, because we can move on with the plot sooner. If a story’s Hard SF, that’s good too, because I like to know the science behind the plot.

Question of the Day #104: You’ve found a portal to an alternate/parallel universe/reality/timeline/dimension/Earth. What kind of universe would you most want to visit?

i would visit a world where the richest, most beautiful people in the world are motivated not by elitism but by generosity, one where the cultural principle of selflessly giving of your bounty to anyone who asks is the highest imaginable source of personal honor, so that nobody (other than me, the traveler) even thinks of being selfish and power-hungry. Without getting to personal about my interests, a world like this would be the only place where I could possibly gain the sources of satisfaction that I most intensely wish for.

QotD #104 Reply: The Homeline reality from the GURPS Infinite Worlds RPG supplement.

Question of the Day #105: Fighter, Rogue, or Magic-User?

Well first off, why not Cleric? Second of all, I don’t even like being restricted to those four. My favorite D&D class is a relatively obscure one which premiered in 3rd Edition and doesn’t really resemble anything else; less obscure than that, I’d take a Psion, and if that’s too far afield, I’d want a Druid. But I suppose, gun to the head, with only these three choices, I’d take Magic-User.

Well, ignoring the rules, Clerics are technically “magic users,” even if they were seperate Classes in the early Editions. I didn’t include more options because I wanted this question to still be accessible to non-D&D players. Okay, now I want to know what obscure 3rd Edition (Prestige?) Class is your favourite.

QotD #105 Reply: Fighter/Rogue/Magic-User Multiclass. ; )

Question of the Day #106: What are your favourite pizza toppings?

Question of the Day #107: What is your weapon of choice?

It’s not that obscure, it’s just not something that non-D&D players would have ever heard of. It’s called the Binder, it’s from the 3rd edition supplement “Tome of Magic”, and it’s based around inviting a weird quasi-real entity to inhabit your body for a day, granting you specific powers in exchange for certain limitations. Though it’s writen to be a sort of anti-cleric, nothing else in D&D actually resembles it to any great extent, and unlike most other “weird for the sake of weird” classes, including the other two published in the same book, Binder is actually reasonably high-tier, meaning that it will actually be useful in play (very low-tier classes can’t really do anything, and high-tier classes like Wizard are too powerful to be meaningfully challenged, so the middle tiers are the “sweet spot”, and that’s where Binder goes). The reasons why I love Binder are as follows.

1. The flavor! The book contains 32 of the beings that you can “pact” with, and every single one of them has an amazing backstory behind it, from a dwarf queen whose greed allowed her kingdom to burn until her treasure melted around her, to a paladin who fell from good to evil and then one day walked away from both in disgust, to a demon-god’s false identity which persisted as a separate entity after he reclaimed his true name, to a giant ethereal spider which is prophecied to destroy the world someday. They’re AMAZING stories, and the powers that you get from bargaining with them fit beautifully into the theme created by the tale. The only part I don’t care for is that the beings are mostly given the names of Goetic demons from the Lesser Key of Solomon, and I’ve never really approved of using real-world concepts too transparently in a fantasy universe; it’s particularly egregious given that the physical descriptions exactly match those of the Goetia, except most of them have randomly been turned into dwarves or elves for no real reason. That bit is kinda cringe, so I give them all new names and sometimes change their description slightly, but this is much less reskinning than I have to do with certain other things in D&D, such as the other class mentioned below.)

2. The mechanics! No other class in D&D functions quite like the Binder; at low levels, forming a Pact with one of these entities is kind of like casting one single spell every day, but it has 3-6 different effects which all persist for the whole duration. Depending on the one you use, you can be the party’s main healer for the day, or a scholar who casts a couple of magic spells, or a frontline fighter who charges the opponent and breathes fire in a wide area, or a tank who changes places with your allies whenever they’re attacked. It’s second only to the Factotum or the Chameleon prestige class in its ability to do a little bit of everything, but instead of having weak magic and mediocre fighting prowess and a little bit of healing all the time, it picks one of these every day and does them really well. (My second-favorite class, the Incarnate, is a similar oddball who likewise picks somewhat-weak but long-lasting abilities with a lot of flavor and then mixes and matches them; that one comes second because the fluff is much less good, and the abilities require a lot of bookkeeping to make them function properly, while Binder is much more of a “fire and forget” kind of deal.)

3: The roleplaying possibilities! Whenever you “pact” with one of these beings, you have to roll a contest to determine whether you’re more or less in charge of the body which the entity is now sharing with you. If you fail this roll, it creates a visible mutation on your body and compels you to obey certain weird restrictions or compulsions related to its personality, and this is obviously RP gold. Just as most of my favorite superheroes are the ones whose powers don’t quite work all of the time (Setback is the ur-example, but nearly all Sentinels characters qualify, with all sorts of things that can go a little wrong at some dramatically appropriate moment; compare and contrast Legacy with Superman for an obvious illustration), likewise the Binder has the ability to sometimes give you perfect control over your abilities, but often to exact a cost which will complicate your life and create interesting scenarios.

Whew, hopefully now you get why I’m so into this class. Sadly I have almost no actual play experience with it, and the complete absence of anything resembling it in 5E is an example of why I prefer to stick to the edition I first cut my teeth on back in 2005 or so.

My go-to is a Hawaiian pizza (Canadian bacon and pineapple, with either regular pizza sauce or Barbecue sauce, and often with American bacon to boot), and there is apparently some sort of national ham shortage affecting all Domino’s stores, so the last couple pizzas I ordered had to use italian sausage or hamburger instead, both of which were suboptimal. Thusly, at least for the moment, my favorite pizza topping is ham, because I can’t have any. (I’m definitely a bit vulnerable to the “once you have it, you won’t want it anymore” effect; whatever I’m currently being denied becomes far more important to me than the many nice things I actually do have. I acknowledge this is a problem, but I can’t help being what I am.)

Medieval-period, I’ve always had a thing for spiked flails (the one wielded by the Witch-King of Angmar is the coolest one I’ve ever seen), but I wouldn’t ever dare try to wield one myself. If actually called on to fight IRL, I’d probably want something like a handaxe or sickle that I could use to hack away at a target, larger than a knife but smaller than a sword. Or for the best of both worlds, practicality and awesomeness, I’d use some sort of halberd or other polearm; if I was rich, I’d own a whole collection of glaives, guisarmes, glaive-guisarmes, guisarme-glaives, and glaive-glaive-glaive-guisarme-glaives (if you’re confused, I’ll explain the joke, but of course then it’s not funny anymore).

Modern era, while I hate guns of any variety, my preference would be for a sniper rifle with a silencer, preferably one that magically works on a “hitscan” principle the way they do in video games, firing in a geometrically straight line and hitting instantaneously, rather than having to deal with all the pesky physics that make real-life sniping so much more challenging. I have intensely fond memories of having played Unreal Tournament back in around 2010ish and for several years thereabouts, and while all of the weapons in that game have their charms, most of my favorite experiences involved hiding myself away from all of the carnage, looking out through a scope, and occasionally headshotting someone, so I didn’t have to worry so much about watching my own back.

Man, these are some awesome questions today, keep it up!

Oh yeah, I think I’ve heard of the Binder somewhere. That flexibility does seem quite useful, and those roleplaying opportunities seem fun. Sounds like a cool concept, definitely.

So you probably also prefer baatezu and tanar’ri instead of devil and demon?

Well, the 5E Warlock Class has a somewhat similar theme: gaining power from an extraplanar entity via a pact, but you’re not merging with the entity, only channeling power from it kinda like a Cleric, and I don’t think the mechanics are very similar.

5E Divine Spellcasters such as the Druid and Cleric can choose a completely new set of Spells to prepare every day, which seems similar to the Binder’s mechanic, although probably not as extreme, because they can’t really change anything but their Spells. So you could always reskin one of those. (Paladins can also prepare new Spells every day, but significantly fewer than Clerics and Druids, and Wizards can also prepare like Clerics and Druids, but they’re limited to a subset of their Spell List: the Spells in their Spellbook.

Of course, I’m not saying you should change to 5E. I’m merely mentioning some options. It’s perfectly okay to want to stay with 3e. (I for one miss the Prestige Classes in 5E.)

Gee, now the pressure’s on! ; )

QotD #107 Reply: Probably a fencing weapon, like a rapier, sabre, or foil. For ranged attacks I’d have a bow and arrows, maybe with some trick arrows. If I can, I’d get all my weapons enchanted, or maybe have a laser sword and laser arrows. : )

Question of the Day #108: You are challenged to a duel. You and your opponent are to start back-to-back, then each take three steps simultaneously, then turn and fire your pistols. Do you do it that way, or do you turn after the first step and shoot your opponent in the back? In other words, do you duel with honour or play dirty?

No, not at all. Demon and devil are generic descriptors; having an angel or a dragon in D&D doesn’t bother me any more than having a horse or a dog in D&D. But having Duke Agares or Marquis Ronov’e (that’s an accent mark, not an apostrophe) of the Goetia in D&D is like having Dwight Eisenhower or Valerie Solanis in D&D. And it’s made worse by the fact that the descriptions of these entities are both faithfully realized in detail and mangled by the inclusion of random elf and dwarf parts. Either the entities should have been not used at all (my preference) or they should have been used as they were originally designed, with every detail correct.

Yeah, most of those who have talked about trying to do a Binder in 5E have thought in terms of Warlock, and Warlock is certainly one of the most interesting classes to me. Still, it’s a far cry from being satisfactory IMO. (Your digression about spellcasters tells me nothing I didn’t already know, but thanks anyway.)

Some of those are indeed badly missed, although the majority of them were worthless (oh look, it’s a new version of the undead-hunter archetype, just what we needed). The subclasses do much of the work of these, but many of the most interesting ones are indeed nowhere to be seen.

Well I probably wouldn’t duel at all, but if I did agree to the conditions, then I would remain honor-bound to follow through on them, at least unless a fair amount of time had passed, such that I might legitimately forget. It is not in my nature to go back on my own recently stated word; I am a chaotic man, but also one who believes that honesty is the most cardinal of all possible virtues. (The closest conceptual match to this combination in mythology is the Fair Folk, which were capricious and tempestuous beings, yet if they ever made a promise, it was generally unbreakable even when it was to their detriment. My second-favorite non-D&D roleplaying game is all about this.)

Fair enough. I see your point.

Now I know where I’m getting my next character! ; )

Agreed.

QotD #108 Reply: With honour, definitely.

Question of the Day #109: What is your favourite non-speculative-fiction book?

My favorite book in the world is technically not an SF book in and of itself, but it is fictional and unrealistic (much like a D&D sourcebook, which isn’t a novel or anything, but it does probably qualify as an SF work in any sensible sense), so it probably does count. Therefore, you force me to decide what my second favorite book in the world is, something I haven’t actually sat down and figured out. I’m not sure this one is the absolute answer to that question, but it’s definitely a very solid candidate. Since I don’t know exactly what level of censoring I’d have to do if I said the title here on this all-ages forum, I’ll just provide a link, and tell all the children of the world that Santa won’t bring them any candy this Easter if they click the link.

Other candidates I could mention would include books about animals, books about my two favorite artists (H.R. Giger and M.C. Escher), a book about The Onion, essay collections by Kurt Vonnegut, and probably the other best candidate for that #2 slot, “The Fourth Dimension” by Rudy Rucker (who is a science fiction author, and he references his own novels in this book, but the book itself is about real-world mathematics and only uses the SF examples to illustrate them).

QotD #109 Reply: (This is kind of a cheating answer:) Probably something by either Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or “Franklin W. Dixon.” If I had to choose a specific book, I’d probably choose The Final Problem or The Secret of the Old Mill.

Question of the Day #110: Do you prefer cooperative games or competitive ones?

In other news, I will be unavailable to post QotDs on Thursday and Friday. Anyone may feel free to ask Questions in my absence. Regardless, I will resume my position as Questioneer of the Day on Saturday.

Cooperative! Definitely cooperative. :grin: Puzzle solving with friends is great.

But I’ve been playing TTRPGs for mumbles years, so that’s probably not a huge surprise. :wink:

+1 to Rabit’s stuff. I do enjoy some games that are competitive, but I almost never enjoy them because of them being competitive, and I’d be very okay with a cooperative version, while I have very little inclination toward the reverse.

I’m back!

QotD #110 Reply: I, as well, enjoy working together as a team. : ) From time to time, though, it doesn’t hurt to play a competitive game (especially since [I think] the majority of tabletop games are competitive).

Question of the Day #111: Favourite sport?

Question of the Day #112: Apple, pear, or orange?

Do clementines count as oranges? If so, I chose those.

1 Like

Yeah, while I prefer apples, clementines are just easier to deal with as they don’t trigger my jaw issues. :unamused: (And clementines are so much easier to eat than oranges. :wink: )

I find pears to be a pain to catch at the right ripeness… :confused:

1 Like