Question of the Day!

I figured the Rogue wasn’t going to fight, because he never does any damage. He does destroy Agents, but I always figured he was just annoying them until they decided to go patrol some other ward for a while. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I figured he was portalling them outside the block… :wink:

I never got an answer from @fjur about when exactly that time cut-off was, so I’m just going to assume that we’re probably late enough into the day that I can post a question, inspired by today’s Letter’s Page but not actually related to it.

Question of the Day #151: Do the ends justify the means?

7:45 AM Pacific Time, 2:45 PM UTC.

Does he? I know in his backstory he’s described as a “highwayman” who meets a wizard who was chased by a mob of villagers, but C&A have never (to my knowledge) explicitly said that Anvil’s immortal.

QotD #150 Reply: Cursed Acolyte and Siege-Breaker would attack each-other and get into a stalemate. Imprisoned Rogue would see this, so he’d try to portal Hammer and Anvil away. Hammer and Anvil would team up, and Anvil would 'port them both back to the fight. Rogue would retreat, being outnumbered. Hammer and Anvil would watch Cursed Acolyte and Siege-Breaker in amusement.

QotD #151 Reply: Sometimes. This world is much too nuanced for one to have a steadfast rule about such a thing. I think it should be considered on a case-by-case. But, be wary of falling into the trap of thinking “I found this way of doing something, but this way isn’t the best way, but that’s okay, because the ends justify the means.” No, you should still try to find a better way.

Question of the Day #152: What was your favourite class in high school?

Ah, I don’t know what UTC is, but AM tells me what I need to know. So 9:45 my time. I usually don’t wake up that early, so someone else will get a crack at it before I do.

Well there aren’t a lot of highwaymen in this day and age, so I figured he dated back at least to the old West (say to about, oh, let’s pick a year entirely at random, say maybe 1883 or so?). I could be wrong about this, but his healing powers could easily make him, if not Haka levels of immortal, at least a contemporary of Hermetic.

I expect an answer like that from superhero fans. Sometimes, the Third Option is valid; it’s certainly true that out of the box thinking can help you transcend artificial limitations others try to place upon you. But in many cases, a true dilemma with no clearly preferable option leads to more meaningful and impactful stories. Entertaining yourself with nothing but feel-good empowerment fantasies that have happy endings is sort of like eating nothing but pastries and sweets; it can be done once in a while, but a balanced diet is generally best.

There was not one I precisely enjoyed, but the one I wish I could go back and do again was a 90s era course in Computer-Aided Design and Manufacturing (CAD/CAM). There was at least one exercise involving a blueprint for a house which interested me enough to participate, but for the most part, I walked into that class, saw all the students playing Doom, and the teacher clearly not bothering to try and make them do otherwise, and I decided to play as well. Of all the times when I was a teacher’s pet, this would have been one occasion when I would have really benefited from trying harder.

Coordinated Universal Time (the initialism is a compromise between the anglophone word order of CUT and the francophone TUC).

It’s the time zone centered on 0 degrees longitude from which all other time zones are defined by how much they’re offset from it. It’s also worth pointing out that while it’s the same spot on the map as Greenwich Mean Time, UTC doesn’t do any kind of daylight saving time adjustments. For example, Greenwich itself is currently on British Summer Time and is therefore currently at UTC+1 whereas in the winter it’s on UTC+0.

QotD #152 Reply: My English teacher was somewhat eccentric, and his classes were often surprising. Other than that, I liked my Maths and Chemistry.

Question of the Day #153: Pasta or Pizza?

Pasta

Pizza

checks watch
looks around

Question of the Day #154: What would be some introductory material (i.e. video, book, article, etc.) that can introduce us to one of your non-gaming related hobbies?

Stares blankly

1 Like

Uh, I suppose I could try to find links to literacy materials as an “introduction” to reading which is my main non-gaming hobby.

I guess that I can narrow focus to a particular subsidiary interest that was fueled by my reading hobby, though. Here’s what I think is the best starting point for learning how to write using tengwar, the writing system developed by J.R.R. Tolkien as his “Elvish” script; Amanye Tenceli. Additionally, there’s Tecendil, the best automatic transcriber for this script on the web. It’s not perfect, but it’s much better than any other such service out there.

Note that it’s entirely possible to write English using this system - in fact the majority of the text we have from Tolkien’s own hand using the tengwar are in English, using one mode of use or another.

1 Like

QotD #153 Reply: Eh, I’m not one for favourite foods. Pretty much everything falls into “Like,” “Neutral,” or “Dislike,” and I Like both of these.

Hah, this is me, too.

Yeah, me too.

QotD #154 Reply: I suppose I could recommend introductions to Tolkien’s Legendarium, Lovecraft’s Mythos, Discworld, et cetera, but I have a feeling that most of y’all are already somewhat familiar with these. I recently started learning archery, but I don’t consider that a hobby yet. Hmm . . . well, I do collect a few LEGO, specifically old BIONICLE, if that counts.

Question of the Day #155: What’s a good non-GTG tabletop game that you’d like to tell use about? (D&D and other similarly-popular things are out of the question.)

Also, the 7:45 AM Pacific Time cut-off time doesn’t apply on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Additionally, even if I can post I a QotD, I’d always appreciate contributions by others if you post first or “reserve” a day. There’s no reason there has to only be one Questioneer at a time.

I purchased Root a few months ago and have been really enjoying that. Sub-Terra, Sheriff of Nottingham, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, and Power Rangers Heroes of the Grid are a few others that I have enjoyed. I would talk more about each but I’m on my phone.

I have quite a few somewhat obscure games that I’m quite fond of, but this topic probably deserves its own thread.

1 Like

Ooh, I keep lusting after Root, but I’ve never been fortunate enough to play it.

Let’s see, recent favorites over here are Terraforming Mars (engine-building) and Scythe (engine-building area control), and some old standbys are Race for the Galaxy (tableu management) and Dragoon (area control tactics).

Terraforming Mars is an all time favorite of mine, and it shares its initials with another fave, Terra Mystica (which is basically the opposite of SOTM in every way, but I love them both). Anyone who wants to try out Terra Mystica can see either a lavish full-color but somewhat busy-looking version of it at Yucata.de, or a stripped down and very clean interface at Terra.snellman.net which is a good bit older.

I used to really like Race For The Galaxy, but the third and later expansions largely ruined it. Fortunately I have a computerized version which I play as if it was computer Solitaire. The reimagined version of the game, Roll For The Galaxy, is a much better implementation of the game’s concept IMO.

QotD #155 Reply:

Aye, I agree. So, I’ll just share the one I’ve played most recently: Deadwood 1876, a Wild West game of uneasy alliances.

Question of the Day #156: What would be the worst thing to have a crippling phobia of?

Air

Your own biological inevitablilities.