Questions about the team The Sentinels

Yeah, if Writhe is supposed to hit himself and he redirects it, that's fine - he is still the one dealing the damage. If Rat had been the one trying to hit him then yes, it wouldn't count to trigger Sentinels Tactics, but as it's Writhe trying to clobber himself then it's perfectly legit :).

Yeah, I was going to post that, then I caught myself.

Question about Sentinel Tactics:

"The first time one of your heroes does damage, you may use a power"  Is this meant as A) "The first time one of your heroes" or B ) "The first time one of your heroes..." In option A, you could chain in with Mainstay or Writhe or Medico doing damage, which triggers Tactics, and then Idealist uses her power to deal damage, which would trigger Tactics again (it is the first time she is doing damage), and give you another power.  Option B simply allows Tactics to only work once, for the first instance of damage.  I am expecting it to be Option B, but Option A just sounds like such an awesome chaining ability, kind of like AA with all his instruments.

I've always assumed it means any one of the four - the first time any one of them deals damage, Sentinels Tactics triggers. If someone else then deals damage, that's the second time so it won't trigger again (regardless of which hero is dealing the damage on either occasion). That said, now you've brought it up I can see the reasoning for it chaining (and probably therefore being rather overpowered and probably not supposed to work that way), given that Flame Barrier specifies "the first time Ra is dealt damage by a target" and means that if he gets hit by multiple targets in the same turn, he gets to burn all of them (same with Wraith and Combat Stance).

No no. Lets not go down the "well I can see it..." road with this.

Its solidly B. Sentienels Tactics will only trigger the First time One (read as: any single one) does damage. It does not say the First time Each Sentienel deals damage.

Flame Barrier only triggers once per turn Ameena. Not multiple times in the same turn. Am I missing something there guys? Otherwise it would say "Whenever Ra is damaged by a target" instead of "The first time" wording. Its restrictive wording.

It's in Spiff's FAQ, based on a quote from Christopher found at https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/combat-stance-0. > The first time a single target hits Ra while he has his Flame Barrier, he hits it back.  If that same target hits him again, he doesn't get to respond.  However, if a different target in the same turn hits Ra, Ra's Flame Barrier goes off again.  At least that is the intention of the wording.

Ok I WAS missing something. Thanks HeroComplex

I would assume the intent of Sentinel Tactics was for it to only trigger once per turn, but the wording does seem to lean towards once per turn per Sentinel...

I thought this came up in playtesting and it was confirmed it triggers once. I have a history of a remembering things that never really happened though (should I see a doctor about that?), so maybe I'll do a little digging

I just played Team-S vs. promo Gloomweaver and they were amazing!  Three heroes that heal, tank, and dps all in one!  My favorite 3-man team now.

I remember the ruling was once per turn, I think I was the one who first asked about it during playtesting after someone in my group asked about it.

Reading the rules on plauge rat it makes it sound like sentinels h = 4 on them, but only one gets infected...  

H does not equal 4 just because you have the Sentinels; they count as one hero.

then reading everything with the debate... the power legacy has healing each hero means you choose only 1 to heal out of the group?

Sorry for questions, new to game and seeing how this balances.

They are one hero but four hero targets. Motivational charge heals each hero target, so they're all healed, Plague Rat infects a hero, so they are collectively infected.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer.

Far as I can tell, a target is anything with HP, so a hero target is anything with HP controlled by the players. See also Unity and her golems, or Visionary and her…uh, I forget what that illusion of hers is called, but you know.

Unfortunately it doesn't always.  Most cards do say Hero Target and that works fine, but when a card just says "deal damage to that hero", it's ambiguous what the Sentinels ought to do.  The general consensus is that you pick whichever one you want, but it's not really that this is the "correct" answer, just an obvious one and the best we can come up with.

As far as Im' aware, if it says "hero targets" then all of the Sentinels are affected. If it says "each hero" then the Sentinels are only one hero between them so you'd pick which one of them was affected, just as you choose which of them gets the Infection when fighting Rat.

Yes yes, I get that part.  Probably so do most players, even if they're very new.  The tricky part is…

If it says "each hero".

Then the Sentinels are only one hero between them, so you'd pick which one of them was affected, just as you choose which of them gets the Infection when fighting Rat.

I really don't see how you're making the leap across that "so".  To my way of thinking, there's no clear reason for assuming that it's possible to choose one hero who gets dunked in the River of Lava while all the others just stand on their shoulders or something (especially if it's anyone other than Mainstay).  The rules clarifications provided for the Sentinels are hugely inadequate IMO; they don't even state a general rule akin to the one you've presented here, they just point out Plague Rat as an example, as if he was the only card that generates such strangeness.  When I'm fairly sure at least one similarly weird example is found in Vengeance, though I don't remember offhand what it is.  It should really have said "The Sentinels interact strangely with effects such as Plague Rat's 'Infection' cards"; then we could more fittingly generalize.

As is, it's sort of like turning onto a road and not seeing a speed limit sign, so deciding it's perfectly okay if you drive 120 MPH; my reaction is to go "why would you assume that's ever allowed, even if it hasn't been specifically prohibited?"

But it does explain it - you just said so yourself, it uses Infection as an example. If something affects "a hero" and the Sentinels is/are that hero, you can then choose which of them is the specific target who recieves the effect (whatever it is).