Rate My Build (Heroes)

That sounds like a great idea!

OK.  Here's the 1st one!

RUMBLE

Unremarkable/Experimentation/Flyer/Cheerful

Health 26

Principles: Ambition, Double Agent

Flight d10, Sonic d8, Speed d8, Invisibility d6

Creativity d10, Close Combat d8, Technology d8, Ranged Combat d8, Social Influencer d8

GREEN

Engineered Sound Blasts (Aerial Bombardment) Creativity

Sound and Fury (Strike and Swoop) Flight

Iā€™m Kind of Awesome (Unflagging) Inherent

YELLOW

Speed of Sound (Personal Upgrade) Flight

Creative Thinker (Aerial Surveillance) Creativity

Rumble Field (Misdirection) Sonic

RED

Ultrasonic Stun Bolt (Powerful Strike) Sonic

Manipulate Sonic Energy (Change Self) Inherent

OUT ā€“ Creativity

Jose Hernandez is a Zero, the equivalent of a ā€œmutantā€ in my setting.  Zeroes are born with their powers because their grandparents and great-grandparents submitted to a government project.  He formally worked as a sound engineer for the city of Miami.  When Aura was putting together a new super team, he decided to use his sound control powers for the greater good.  More recently, he made two significant decisions: he decided to go public with his identity, and he decided to also create a new villainous secret identity as Vex to infiltrate the mercenary supervillain community in Florida.

First Thoughts on Rumble: He's got more than a few tricks up his sleeve.

In the Green Zone, Rumble can lay down some damage to up to three targets. While it's not the best damage, he'll be more than capable of cleaning up or at least cutting a couple of minions down to a more managable size. If there's only one target, then he'll be irritating to pin down and could potentially kite a foe off of his allies while they set something up. He can definitely lead the charge into a dangerous situation.

In the Yellow Zone, Rumble can take a turn off to really pump himself up, or to pump all of his allies for a turn. Rumble Field gives him a tool to deal with attacks while he does so, provided there's a minion to redirect damage into. That combination gives Rumble an astounding amount of utility, and further gives him a sense of leading the charge. If a situation has reached this point, he can still lead without disengaging from the action.

In the Red Zone, Rumble turns up what he can do to eleven. If he needs to focus on a particular power, he's able to do so with ease. If a particular target needs to be eliminated right then and there? He can blast it down himself or at least make a large dent in it. No flashy combos, but a solid option in most combat scenarios.

Overall? Yeah, Rumble definitely has options for most situations. About the only things he doesn't specialize in are Overcomes and Hinders, but he has enough offense and support abilities to let his allies focus on those avenues when needed. The flavor is also excellent.

Rumble doesn't have anything specific going for him, but he's a solid companion to have along.  In Green he's a solid skirmisher, able to whittle down 3 minions at a time or face-tank a group of threats.  In Yellow he shifts more to support, boosting himself and then boosting and defending his allies.  In Red... actually I'm not sure.  He can dish out one big hit with Powerful Strike, but Change Self just lets at most get himself a d10 in Invisibility, which he doesn't really need.  It's cool for flavor, I guess, but it doesn't serve any practical mechanical purpose.  I'm also not sure just from looking at it where the Retcon is.

Thanks for the comments.  I think 3 out of 4 of these characters used their Retcons on Principles.  I realize this is not an efficient way to build, but I wanted to make them "official" by the rules for starting characters.  Change Self allows him to increase his Powerful Strike or get a better die for some Overcomes.

I'll get another one up tonight or tomorrow.

Here's the 2nd one.

BARRACUDA

Tragic/Experimentation/Armored/Fast Talking

Health 36

Principles: Equality, Strength

Awareness d10, Strength d10, Leaping d8, Vitality d8, Swimming d6

Banter d10, Close Combat d8, Persuasion d8, Criminal Underground Info d6, Meridean Super Soldier d8

GREEN

Predator Senses (Overpower) Inherent

Scaled Body (Armored) Inherent

Spec Ops Training (Unstoppable Charge) Close Combat

Unstoppable Charge (Living Bulwark) Vitality (Yes, I gave a custom name that matches an Ability name, but to a different Ability)

Overconfident Fighter (Repair) Strength

YELLOW

Predator Reflexes (Personal Upgrade) Awareness

Throwing Thugs Around (Throw Minion) Strength

RED

Inhuman Strength (Paragon Feat) Strength

Expert Grappler (Endurance Fighting) Inherent

OUT ā€“ Banter

Zale Bouras is a Meridean, the equivalent of an ā€œAtlanteanā€ in the setting.  A member of the military for his people, he volunteered for the Predator Project, an attempt to create super soldiers.  The project was a success, but not in the way intended: Zale gained the ability to transform into an 8ā€™ tall scaled monster.  Horrified by what he had become, he fled his family and his people and ended up as a homeless person in Miami.  Destina found him and took him in.  His time among the homeless enlightened him to the injustices of society.  When Destina decided to become a hero, Zale decided to join her and use his accident for good.  His transformation not only gives him great strength and an armored body, but also heightened senses, which all work will with his military training.

(I realize this concept was ripe for the Divided Archetype, but as I wrote elsewhere, I hate that Archetype for often being a liability without a benefit.  Since he can transform more or less instantaneously, itā€™s actually more of a benefit than someone who has to change into a costume.)

I'll toss another one in the hopper here:  

Thomas Yasuda was no stranger to death.  As a mortician, the days following the OblivAeon event were beyond busy for him.  A lucky few were those who didn't have some relative, some friend, some loved one who had fallen in the chaos that had devastated the world.  Nevertheless, Thomas did his best to console those in their time of grief, to provide some modicum of compassion in a bleak-seeming world.  But when the bodies of the dead began to speak back to him, Thomas began to question his sanity.

That night, as the sun set, a figure knocked at Thomas' apartment door.  Standing across the threshold was a middle-aged man whose eyes spoke decades, if not centuries, of weariness.  "Thomas," the figure said, "You have done much for the living.  You have done more to honor the dead."  Before Thomas could reply, the man thrust a rod into Thomas' hand, "The gateway between the living and the dead needs a steward, a Gatekeeper.  Ease their passing, honor their sacrifices, spare those whose times have not yet come."  With that, the man disintegrated; the weight of all his years dissipating into so much ash and dust.

Since that day, Thomas has become more than man.  He will not age.  He will not die, outside of some strange circumstance or violence.  He will live until he passes on the burden and enters the beyond himself.  And in those long years, his duties will be many.

While most pass easily from the living world into the great beyond, some spirits of the dead do not rest easy.  Where great tragedy would unduly cut life short, where the ghosts of the past would harm the living future, and where villians defile the rest of the long-departed, The Gatekeeper stands ready.

-----------------------

In somewhat-related news, I was honestly *astounded* at how much more powerful Gatekeeper feels, compared to Lady Toxin.  Both in terms of number of qualities/powers and in the die-size of those powers, Gatekeeper overwhelms her at pretty much every turn.  About the only thing that Toxin has going for her over Gatekeeper is her number of Green abilities.  For whatever reason, Gatekeeper only ended up with 2 (plus the Principle abilities, but everyone gets those).  I'm not sure exactly how that happened, but wow, it seems like there's quite a bit of disparity here...

Also, your readings have actually convinced me, regarding the Red abilities.  Even if there seems to be some vagueness in language (one last editing pass, perhaps?), I think what you've collectively said makes more sense to the intent.  Gatekeeper, as such, was built in that image.

BARRACUDA:

First impression: Barracuda is a brawler, getting up close and personal to a foe of his choice.

In the Green Zone, Barracuda has a multitude of options for beating down a single foe. He can make sure that a hit goes through with Spec Ops Training, or use Unstoppable Charge to block off a foe from striking an ally. Or, if neither of the above are needed, he can maintain pressure and patch himself up as an Overconfident Fighter. Predator Senses is powerful, but very risky. If he's on a team with someone who reliably creates +4 bonuses, then that could add up to a lot of damage on him.
In the Yellow Zone, Barracuda can amp himself up (careful of rolling a 12+), or just add in the option to throw one guy at another guy for a bit of area of effect. A solid addition to his options, and a natural extension for a bruiser with great strength.
In the Red Zone, Barracuda opens up the option to leverage his strength to it's fullest, addressing a challenge and bolstering his allies for their actions in the process! If he remains on the offensive instead, then he'll be able to slow down whoever he's fighting to some degree as an Expert Grappler.

Overall? Barracuda is great at powering through to slow down a single large foe, but he'll suffer trouble against multiple foes. While his Scaled Body will help reduce the damage he's taking, he'll suffer a bit from being unable to hit more than two at once.

In terms of a team setting, Barracuda is a solid bruiser who go into most situations and come out having done something. He'll benefit from teammates who can throw down with multiple foes, or give him support without having to Boost him directly. Galvanize style effects remove the threat of him accidentally exploding from a helping hand.

GATEKEEPER:

First Impression: Gatekeeper is able to pick one thing each time he acts, and make sure that thing happens.

In the Green Zone, Gatekeeper is able to engage one target and slow them down to some degree, or to majorly slow down one target and possibly attack someone. Both are solid options in their own right for a relatively low stakes situation.
In the Yellow Zone, Gatekeeper expands his horizons. Spirit Surge affecting multiple targets is extremely potent, making him able to support allies when not attacking. Shadow Summons grants him the ability to move allies around to advantageous positions in response to attack, and Snuff The Candle is extremely efficient for valid targets.
In the Red Zone, Gatekeeper feels like he's pressing the limits of what he can do. Call The Dead is exceptional, as whatever the minions it makes are able to do will be able to happen repeatedly without extra set up. Banshee's Wail feel very much like a desperation move, and while it can burn down two targets effectively, Gatekeeper stands a fair chance of burning himself out using it. Doom Foretold is an interesting way to punish foes for going after him or an ally, but using it does lock him out of Shadow Summons for that round. Careful consideration should be given to that.

Overall? Gatekeeper will be pretty good at whatever he decides to do on his turn, but he's not going to be the strongest at any of it. He feels like a commander or advisor, standing back and letting allies rush in to handle the heavy combat while he manipulates the situation for them.

In a team setting, Gatekeeper will work well alongside most heroes. He'll certainly want to be in a team that has at least one heavy hitter who can maintain offensive pressure while Gatekeeper does his work.

ā€œOneā€ last editing pass? Youā€™re generous! Iā€™m about 3/4 a full read through the whole book again and it needs a lot more editing. Iā€™m honestly surprised at how unpolished it was for a company thatā€™s not just one guy working from home (ya know - like you and me! :P)

As the old saying goes, ā€œThe opposite of perfect is ā€˜doneā€™.ā€ There are always going to be some measure of typos, layout issues, and whatnot in any published work, but, youā€™re rightā€¦there are quite a few in the released PDF. Hopefully the delay in printing will make sure that the best possible version hits print.

But Iā€™ll be honest, Iā€™m not hunting for errors at this point. If GtG wants to hire me as an editor, Iā€™ll gladly give it the fine-toothed comb I give to any of my editing clients. But, Iā€™ve gotten the impression theyā€™re full up on freelancersā€¦

Thanks for the observations on Barracuda.  He is definitely intended to be a traditional front-line brick.  Thanks especially for the observations about Predator Sense.  My fluff for that was that he can tune his super-senses into a situation, but he risks getting too much sensory input and being stunned.  I didn't think it was a real risk for him, but you point out that it might be.  I think that's actually pretty cool rather than being a flaw.  He should work with Rumble, who is better at multiple foes.

Here's my 3rd hero (of 4), the team leader.

AURA

Law Enforcement/Genetic/Blaster/Natural Leader

Health 30

Principles: Detective, Hero

Hard Light Force (Radiant) d10, Hard Light Finesse (Telekinesis) d10, Flight d8, Presence d6

Conviction d10, Criminal Underworld Info d8, Ranged Combat d8, Investigation d8, Beautiful Icon d8

GREEN

Team Tactics (Rally) Conviction

Battlefield Control (Danger Zone) Flight

Hard Hitting Hard Light (Exploit Vulnerability) Radiant

YELLOW

Smashing Light Construct (Area Assault) Telekinesis

Intuitive Force Walls (Danger Sense) Presence

Moving the Pieces (Imbue with Element) Telekinesis

Pushing the Limits (Heedless Blast) Radiant

RED

Force Wall (Impenetrable Defense) Telekinesis

Aerobatics (Calculated Dodge) Response

OUT ā€“ Conviction

Lucia Navarro is also a Zero, but when her powers manifested in early adolescence, they rapidly threatened to go destructively out of control.  She was thus subject to further experimentation to stabilize her abilities.  She was part of Miamiā€™s previous superteam, the Protectors, but circumstances drove that team apart.  She took it upon herself to form a new team, La Guardia, and became a team leader.  Her powers enable her to create bright golden hard light constructs, like a Green Lantern, but only in simple geometric shapes.  In her day job, she works as a lawyer in the District Attorneyā€™s office. 

A couple comments about this build: despite both Aura and Rumble being Zeroes, I built one as Experimentation and one as Genetic.  Arguably, they should be the other way around, as Aura was experimented on and Rumble was born with his abilities (his grandparents were the ā€œExperimentationā€).  However, I went the way I did because of what powers they offered.  I think this is a strength of the system.  I made her hard light constructs out of two powers to increase her flexibility in Ability choices.  Her powers arenā€™t at all ā€œradiantā€ other than being glow-y, but I chose to re-skin that power rather than create a ā€œnewā€ power.  I think this is another strength ā€“ the ease with which you can do things like this without breaking anything.  Finally, ā€œBeautiful Iconā€ is presently a placeholder Quality.  Auraā€™s player wants her to be a symbol of heroism for the city and she wants her to be hot.  So thatā€™s what I came up with.  I welcome any other suggestions based on this thin background Iā€™ve provided.

Gatekeeper: Strong but limited.  In Green he can only Attack and Hinder, or Hinder and Attack--good choices but limited ones.  A mass Boost/Hinder in Yellow is an amazing support move, he has great ally defense, and he can outright erase a d6 or d6 Minion (although he can't do much to Lieutenants and Villains).  Summoned Allies is always OP, and I like the flavor here, but I'm not sure about the other two choices.  You have no way of using Aware Response and Reach Through the Veil on the same attack, so you have to pick one (although Aware Response is easier to trigger).  Eruption damages yourself; it's a great choice if you can heal self-damage, but you can't, so I'm not sure why you'd pick this over Powerful Strike for offense, or any of the other great support abilities you have access to.

Barracuda: I'm concerned about his fighting ability.  Like any other Armored character, he has lots of Green options to attack with Mid and do another thing.  He can hit two targets in Yellow, but only if one is a Minion.  In Red his attacks hinder a little bit, and he can Overcome and support allies, but in a big fight where there's basically just a big bad to pummel (Lieutenant(s) or VIllain(s)) he's just making Mid attacks against a single target.  He's durable but I see the scene tracker running out on him frequently.

Aura: I'm confused.  Why do you have two abilities that attack multiple targets with your Min die?  Area Assault does nothing for you since you already have Danger Zone.  Then you have Heedless Blast but nothing to heal or mitigate damage to yourself until you're in Red (and see below).  I also don't see Exploit Vulnerability doing you a lot of good--it's only helpful if you attacked or hindered one target on round 1 and then use Exploit Vulnerabilty on that same target on round 2.  After (or possibly during) round 2, Imbue with Element is strictly better, so at most you'll get one use out of Exploit Vulnerability--and none at all if you didn't attack or hinder in round 1, or that target goes down, or the scene tracker advances before your second turn.  As for your Red abilities, I've not held back about how useless I think Red "I'm not doing anything helpful but you can't hurt me either" abilities are, and forcing an enemy damage reroll at the cost of 1 HP can help, but it's unreliable.  I think there are better choices.

AURA

First impression: Aura is able to hit large groups of foes with ease.

In the Green Zone, Aura is able to rejuvenate allies while striking at a single foe, or use her Flight to strike down multiple foes simoutaneously. Green Zone area of effect isn't easy to come by, making Battlefield Control pretty good, but I have some misgivings much like MindWanderer. More on that later. Hard Hitting Hard Light is excellent for beating down on a single target, but it doesn't seem to fit the rest of her green zone kit.
In the Yellow Zone, Aura gets a sizable increase in single target firepower with Moving The Pieces with the possibility of setting up an ally in the process, as well as a neat bit of insurance against surprise attack with Intuitive Force Walls. Smahing Light Construct and Reckless Blast are where I have some misgivings, mechanically. They both make sense with what you've said, but Smashing Light Construct is going to be essentially the same as Battlefield Control for dice results, and it's almost always going to do less damage than Reckless Blast. If I had to recommend getting rid of one, I'd say Battlefield Control or Smashing Light Construct, leaning towards Smashing Light Construct.
In the Red Zone, Aura's abilities kind of work against one another. Aerobatics is extremely risky, and I speak from rolling dice for villains, because rerolling a villain dice pool is likely to balance out the reduction on one effect die with an increase on another effect die. Force Wall is a logical use of her powers, but if she has Aerobatics, it's extremely niche. It's best use would be a narrative taunt on a foe, to try and buy time for another hero. While I don't think that's the worst thing, it doesn't feel like it really connects with the rest of her kit that well.

Overall? Aura has a lot of different ways to hit multiple targets, and otherwise feels kind of like she's trying to do a bunch of different things at once.

In terms of a team setting, Aura can definitely serve to blasting down multiple foes at once. As far as single targets go, she has good options, but they feel somewhat disjointed from the rest of what she does. It could make for difficult narrative choices to use a strong single target attack when there are multiple targets running around.

--

As for her Roleplay Quality, maybe Radiant Idol? Even if her powers are hard light, people will connect her with the idea of the light they give off. And if she's meant to be an icon for heroism in the city, that could be construed as being an idol. Just a thought.

Thanks for the useful comments, especially on Aura.  Three brief things in my "defense."  First, I am not interested in fully maximized characters.  Based on actual play evidence I've read, this game may be particularly susceptible to breakage with fully maximized PCs.  While I appreciate them, I sometimes perceive MindWanderer's observations as failures of an optimization test.  Second, they were designed as a team.  If one of them has a liability as a solo act, I'm OK with that.  Third, and most importantly to me, since these are converted characters, not brand new ones, my primary design consideration was to enable them to do the things they could do in Champions in SCRPG.  If a player asked, "Where is my X power?" I wanted to be able to have an answer.  

This was the case with Aura.  Now that I've looked her over again in light of your comments (also, fun fact: she is the first one that catDreaming and MindWanderer borh agreed that she had issues), I see that she's a little lopsided: not much variety in Green and nothing to bring to the party in Red.  I will look her over and re-submit a new version, along with the 4th character.  Thanks.

Also, catDreaming, thanks for "Radiant Idol."  I will write that down as another idea to present to the player.

No problem with the Roleplaying Quality, it came to mind when reading the backstory. As for the 'where's my X ability' aspect, that's understandable. Converting characters from one system to another can be extremely messy, and it doesn't always work out in optimal ways. An optimal character in one system can become merely average in another, or even severely underpowered.

It is interesting that both MindWanderer and I agreed that there were issues, since we seem to have very different perspectives.

Not ready to post the 4th character, but here is my re-do of Aura.  Changes are highlighted.

AURA

Law Enforcement/Genetic/Blaster/Natural Leader

Health 30

Principles: Detective, Hero

Hard Light Force (Radiant) d10, Hard Light Finesse (Telekinesis) d10, Flight d8, Presence d6

Conviction d10, Criminal Underworld Info d8, Ranged Combat d8, Investigation d8, Beautiful Icon d8

GREEN

Team Tactics (Rally) Conviction

Battlefield Control (Danger Zone) Flight

Hard Hitting Hard Light (Exploit Vulnerability) Radiant

YELLOW

Force Construct Positioning (Adaptive) Telekinesis

Intuitive Force Walls (Danger Sense) Presence

Moving the Pieces (Imbue with Element) Telekinesis

Pushing the Limits (Heedless Blast) Radiant

RED

Force Wall (Impenetrable Defense) Telekinesis

Full Force Force Smash (Charged-Up Blast) Radiant

OUT ā€“ Conviction

Force Construct Positioning gives her a bonus and some recovery and she uses her constructs to put her into a safe place.  Full Force Force Smash can use that bonus as she takes the constructs that she used to move herself to safety and smashes them onto an opponent.

Better? :)

AURA

(Second) First impression: Aura is a flexible blaster, able to burn down foes in singleton or groups with relative ease.

In the Green Zone, Aura is able to rejuvenate allies while striking at a single foe with Team Tactics, or use her Flight to strike down multiple foes simoutaneously with Battlefield Control. Battlefield Control is excellent being green zone AOE without the risk of hurting yourself or an ally in the process. Hard Hitting Hard Light is a good way to press the advantage on a foe whoā€™s already taken some damage, especially if her teammates arenā€™t in their yellow or red health zones yet.

In the Yellow Zone, Aura getā€™s a series of upgrades on what she already does. Force Construct Positioning is a decent way to boost herself up for a big attack on her next turn, with some self healing on the side or removing a persistent penalty without overcomes or rolling high on boosts, giving her some resiliency. Intuitive Force Walls let her focus on the task at hand, reducing the odds of her getting ambushed by a hostile force or an environment target. Moving The Pieces allows Aura to focus on a single target, and with some planning can also give an ally a helping hand on their next action. Reckless Blast can wipe out a bunch of foes at once with a little support or preparation, and Force Construct Positioning gives Aura a straightforward way to recover from it if sheā€™s burned out too much.

In the Red Zone, Auraā€™s getting desperate. With a boost from Force Construct Positioning or an ally, she can absolutely annihilate a target with Full Force Force Smash. Or, if she needs to get rid of a penalty alongside weathering powerful attacks for a round, Force Wall ensures that sheā€™ll be able to emerge still combat capable. 

Overall? Aura is a powerful blaster who can confront most forms of foes with relative ease. Iā€™m not convinced that Force Wall is the optimal choice of move for her in the Red Zone, but thereā€™s definitely worse options to have there.

In terms of a team setting, Aura can definitely serve to blasting down foes regardless of numbers. Sheā€™ll want to watch her health if it comes to unleashing Reckless Blast more than once in a scene though; Thatā€™s the kind of thing that tends to grab the attention of evil-doers who donā€™t like interrupted plans.

Last one!

DESTINA

Dynasty/Genetic/Close Quarters Combatant/Distant

Health 28

Principles: History, Veteran

Deduction d10, Agility d8, Colada (Signature Weapon) d8, Vitality d8

History d12, Close Combat d10, Acrobatics d8, Technology d8, Genetically-Perfect Genius d8

GREEN

Advice Out of Time (Growth) History

Hapkido Master (Defensive Strike) Close Combat

Expert Swordplay (Offensive Strike) Signature Weapon

Quick Thinking (Flexible Stance) Deduction

YELLOW

Two Steps Ahead (Adaptive) Deduction

Excellent Constitution (Danger Sense) Vitality

Crafty Fighter (Precise Strike) Acrobatics

RED

Great Under Pressure (Reliable Aptitude) Deduction

Past Lives (Specialized Info) History

Dalianis Rodriguez del Castillo has an unusual background.  The only child of brilliant geneticists, her parents modified her in utero to be genetically ā€œperfect.ā€  She is a super-genius, but also trained extensively in martial arts.  Her family line is also magically blessed; Dali can visit and possess any of her ancestors or past lives (sheā€™s not really sure which term is accurate) and her future selves can possess her.  Her family line traces back to El Cid.  Her sword Colada was his short sword.  When Aura started recruiting a new team, Destina sought her out to join. 

Destina was originally generated using the MSH Ultimate Powers book.  If youā€™re familiar with that supplement, her weird background makes a lot more sense.  Sheā€™s essentially a martial artist, but I wanted to give her abilities that also took into account her genius, her genetics, her past lives, and her magic sword. 

I decided that a few heroes on their own weren't good enough; it's time to make a mystic-themed team...

Verhexen first, then The Gatekeeper, and now:

---------

Janelle Downing knew she was on the verge of a breakthrough.  Finishing her post-doctoral studies in mathematics at Overbrook University, her work on fifth-dimensional mapping of irrational constants was derided by nearly all of the mathematics faculty, but none could deny her raw talent and mastery of mathematical principles.  Proofs and theorems that took others hours or days, Janelle could calculate in mere minutes, with naught but a pad of paper and a click of her seemingly omnipresent lead pencil.

Her goal, however?  Not just a publication in some journal, not just a footnote in a high-school textbook; Janelle's goal was nothing short of universal truth.  And, one late latte-fueled night, she found it.  In that moment, her mind was opened to new vistas of possibility, hardly even theorized much less realized.  Taking up the name Axia, she delves deeper and deeper into sacred geometries, irrational mathematics, and multi-dimensional calculi, seeking the Universal Truths.

DESTINA

First impression: Destina is a duelist, able to engage one foe effectively and control the flow of battle in her own favor.

In the Green Zone, Destina is able to draw on her past lives for a lasting benefit with Advice Out Of Time, and can leverage that to bash down a foe with Expert Swordplay or maintain her defenses with Hapkido Expert. Quick Thinking is an interesting ability, since it allows her to take two basic actions with the same effect die. However, unlike the Wild Card version, Flexible Stance allows you to use the same basic action twice! This gives Destina an extreme amount of versatility, and makes excellent use of a narratively appropriate benefit from Advice Out Of Time (and I might have a character who uses Flexible Stance in a similar way).
In the Yellow Zone, Destina adds some utility to her fighting style. Two Steps Ahead allows her to rebound from persistent penalties and possibly set up for a future turn in the process, while Excellent Constitution gives her the ability to stay on her foes against ambush or a situation spiraling out of control. Finally, Crafty Fighter allows her to make sure that whatever she able to land a blow on whatever she attacks; Whether it does damage is another question entirely.
In the Red Zone, Great Under Pressure gives Destina added reliability in her actions, and Past Lives ensures that if she knows how to confront a challenge, it will cease being a problem. Seriously, Max+Min overcomes are beautiful things.

Overall? Destina is able to adapt to a changing battlefield with ease, and can fill in any number of roles without too much difficulty. However, she will have difficulty truly excelling at a chosen role prior to the Red Zone.

In terms of a team setting, Destina's at her best when she has the freedom to choose what she's doing in the moment. 

AXIA

First impression: Axia is an apt controller, able to manipulate the battlefield in her favor.

In the Green Zone, Axia is able to do a bit of everything. With Higher Mathematics to give herself a lasting advantage and Exponential Downfall to inflict a last disadvantage on a single foe, Axia will be able to make sure whatever she does counts. Carry The One is a sneaky way to manipulate how the flow of action goes, and has the potential to disrupt the flow of a villain's well coordinated plan.
In the Yellow Zone, Axia expands her options to her allies and multiple foes. Fractal Assault gives a potent, albeit painful, way to strike multiple foes at once. Dimensional Remainders ensures that Axia can maintain momentum if she takes down a minion, while Check Your Work gives another way to help an ally out with whatever task they are pursuing. She'll need to be careful with her health if Fractal Assault and Check Your Work show up often, as both have drain on her own health each use.
In the Red Zone, Axia is able to completely shut down massive built up attacks or weaken hordes of amplified minions with Zero Sum. Balanced Equation offers the ability to weaken a target (minion, lieutenant, villain with a defensive reaction), and Prime Factorial gives Axia a way to hurt that irritating villain who just won't drop their guard.

Overall? Axia is a versatile and powerful battlefield control specialist. She excels at controlling the effectiveness of a single target at once, and while she can deal with multiple targets at once, she does run the risk of burning herself out.

In terms of a team setting, Axia will want allies who can take to the front lines of a fight and deal with multiple targets to reduce Axia's need to burn her own health in a blaze of glory.