The Fifth of November!
Gunpowder, treason, and plot! :musical_note:

:firecracker: :boom: :fireworks: :sparkler: :performing_arts:

Happy Guy Fawkes Day, everyone!

:musical_note:Be wary, be wary
6th of January
MAGA’s, treason, and FOX™️
:notes:

Makes me consider watching V for Vendetta on HBO Max, but then I think about the trash talk Alan Moore was heaping on comic book movies recently and suddenly I’m not so keen on his work. :confused:

In fairness, he’s never been that quiet on the subject, even (especially?) in relation to adaptations of his own work.

1 Like

Alan Moore is a purist of the comic book medium, and has always been opposed to the idea of any sort of adaptation, solely because it is an adaptation.

Also, it probably surprises no one that I actually wish the gunpowder treason had been successful. I do find it odd that England celebrates an unsuccessful attempt at government overthrow. Did the Crown encounter GFD to remind the people that rebellions fail, or did the government fail in suppressing the populace’s desire to celebrate what the Guy tried to accomplish? Very strange to me. I enjoy speculating on the possible alternate histories that might have resulted from different outcomes here.

I am very intentionally not saying anything about any modern events which may or may not appear to parallel the actions of Mr. Fawkes. As a reminder, discussion of politics does not belong on this server.

I guess I can see some of the author’s side, considering when you pour that much into a work you don’t want someone else messing with your child. Stephen King has definitely had opinions on his adaptations. King vs. Kubrick on The Shining is a battle of wills for the ages.

Moore was just throwing around the other F-word (not opening the political can of worms here) in relation to comic books, when on its face V is totally opposed to that IMO.

1 Like

The English celebrate that Fawkes failed because he was part of a group of Catholics who wanted to kill the current king and put a Catholic king back on the throne.

So they don’t celebrate his loss because they feel his cause was one they supported and he should have won, they celebrate his loss because they’re glad he lost.

It originally started with the people celebrating that their king wasn’t killed and went from there.

As for Moore… yeah, as others noted, he hates adaptations just because they’re adaptations. People tend to just roll their eyes and ignore him.

It’s not like the actors who rag on the MCU because they think they’re too good for comic book stories, it’s just Moore being Moore.

3 Likes

In the comic, the inspector puts together the overall arc of V’s past in a drug-induced vision trip that definitely does not hold up any longer, so it’s not like an adaptation doesn’t provide a chance to reframe some things to actually improve the narrative! It’s much better to have V himself tell the story as a part of furthering his own goals.

Art lives beyond the artists’ intent, so I feel pretty safe ignoring Moore and enjoying the adaptations of his work.

2 Likes