Rook City Renegades - announcement

I’m partially hoping it’s Bal’Taranerach, after seeing him on AA’s card… but I just listened to the episode about his death, and they said something about him being an AA only villain, which is a bit sad.

2 Likes

It seems unlikely that we’ll ever get any form of Teranerach in the Card Game. Before becoming Bael’Tereanarach, he/it is not powerful enough to be notable. And after it becomes Bel’Terenearach, Anthony Drake pretty hastily seals it away, and it’s not seen for the rest of the Multiverse Era.

2 Likes

That is entirely fair, I hadn’t considered how that may change the deck math

Yeah, that was my thought.

Though, I do want to say, using him on Polyphoric flare makes me like that card thematically a lot more. I never really got AA hurting himself to use powers (and I never really felt the need to play the card) but in terms of “no, he literally sacrificed the fact of his existence to stop this threat to reality” I love it.

4 Likes

I had a theory on the 6th hero-
What about The Southwest Sentinels? By some definitions they are “urban and street level” and Writhe + Idealist have darker back stories.
There was the one story where the Organization tried expanding into the Southwest lead by an underboss who had turn himself into a kill switch bomb. That would be an obvious critical event.

If we get a hero or villain that never had a deck before do we think they will tell us on day one of the kickstarter or as a latter reveal?

1 Like

Well Christopher has already revealed that it will be a new hero.

I would definitely call SWS street level but they are very clearly not Rook City :grin:

1 Like

Oooh, yeah I am sorry for being unclear.

So there actually might be a 4th one we haven’t thought of yet!

infrared eye piece activates

Hmmm…

1 Like

Yeah, if we didn’t know there was going to be a brand-new, never-before seen hero, I’d be calling SW Sentinels, they’d fit the box pretty well.

As is, I’m thinking they end up in Disparation’s box, since that will be where La Capitan is.

What are the odds there’s a Revo-Corp environment? Would fit in well time-wise, and could have some interesting stuff. Although, it might get a bit too close to Pike Industrial Complex.

Diamond manor could also be sweet.

3 Likes

A Cult of Gloomy swamp would be cool too. C&A gave talked about one existing in multiple episodes dating back quite a while now.

4 Likes

Does anyone here know if the Kickstarter they used for the SotM: DE: Core Set will also be used for updates about Rook City Renegades?

Outside of a post pointing to RCR or other DE sets, I’d imagine updates would just go into the new KS. We will see soon how they do it.

4 Likes

Cool, I had not been paying enough attention to know that it was a never had a deck before character.
If it’s not Alpha, the Wolf Woman it had better be Sk8blayde!

3 Likes

I didn’t want to make a new topic for this, but I was reading some old comments in the Discord and it inspired in me another deck speculation for Expat and how she may work in the Definitive Edition. I’ll put it in spoilers just in case, since I’m going to be more specific in examples.

Expat Speculation

So, we definitely want Expat to have guns, and we want her to have ammo that effects these guns. This is prett defining for her. But loading specific ammo into specific guns… didn’t work so well. The card cost of doing so just doesn’t make for a synergistic design.

For example, If you have the shotgun, playing incendiary rounds gives you +1 damage, for one power… which means you basically played a card that says “deal 1 target 1 damage” which is a pretty bad card.

But, now we have items like the Wraith’s Smoke Bombs, which importantly destroy themselves at the start of the turn. So, what if the new Ammo items were something more like

Incendiary Rounds: Expat deals +1 damage. Start of Turn: Destroy this card.

Cryogenic Rounds: The first time Expat deals damage to a target on a turn, -1 damage dealt by that target until the start of Expat’s turn. Start of Turn: Destroy this card.

You could even mess with the destruction a bit. Maybe the Ammo cards are destroyed unless you discard a card, but then she also has an ongoing or item card that says you can ignore the start of turn effect of an ammo card, or that when an ammo card is destroyed you can summon an ammo card from your trash.

This does a few things. Firstly, this makes her ammo cards more useful. If she is using the Quick Response card to deal damage (by shooting) then she can play ammo and affect that, which is a cool combo that can allow her to be effective without needing to get a gun in play. This also allows her to feel like her ammo is more than a single bullet.

Additionally, this allows for multiple ammos to be used simultaneously, which could have some bizarre effects, but overall leads to her having a reason to play and interact with them.

Thoughts?

Beyond any of this, I imagine that collect, summon and discover are going to be common effects for her deck. Especially discover, considering how many times they’ve brought up that one of Expat’s things is putting ammo caches and gun caches… everywhere. I think it makes sense for her to have a lot of discover where she is basically looking around and saying “what did I leave nearby that I can use.” I don’t think she will do a lot of salvage, but maybe she will. I just wonder about her playing ability, but Salvaging makes a lot of sense.

2 Likes

This would be really cool, but destroying at the Start Phase is essentially the same as destroying when the power is used. Unless she is able to use multiple powers, which I don’t see being extremely common (but still present, of course).

I think it’d be cool if she had something more along the lines of “clips” or “magazines” that have multiple uses and attach to particular guns. So you could load a gun with incendiary rounds and get 3 or 4 uses out of it.

Cryogenic Rounds: The first time Expat deals damage to a target on a turn, -1 damage dealt by that target until the start of Expat’s turn. Start of Turn: Destroy this card.

This definitely wouldn’t work with what I proposed though… Effects like this do need to stick around. Maybe you could place tokens on them when they’re played (like Ritual Sanctum uses), and remove them for each instance of damage. Then, at the Start Phase, if there are no tokens you destroy the card.

Well, Expat does have multiple power uses in her deck. Pride and Prejudice are one famous example, but you also have her nuke card Unload, which allows her to use each gun in play.

Also, the idea was to allow her to additionally get the benefit from Ammo when she is using an Ongoing, like Quick Reflexes, which hits a target when it enters play. This was also the impetus for the Start of Turn, because, well, I want them to be closer in function her DW variant Aim power.

I could see a “clip” mechanic, but I think it would be very similar to Bunker’s DE mechanics, unless you did a token solution and I’m… I can’t say a token solution wouldn’t work, but but considering we lack sufficient tokens now, they would have to release new tokens with the box, and I can’t guarantee they will do that,

1 Like

I sure hope we get more tokens! And I feel like it’s fairly likely we will with Harpy at the very least, so a few more shouldn’t be too crazy to expect.

It might also be cool if the Ammo were One-Shots/Ongoings that trigger a power upon being played. I could also see Quick Reflexes being a Reaction along the lines of “Play a card or use a power.”

Whatever happens, I’m excited to see her actually be fun to play!

1 Like

Oh yeah, Expat has always been one of my favorites (I think it is just the art :man_shrugging: ) but I’ve always known that she needs some love to make her deck engine run better.

I don’t think they could be one-shots though, it could be interesting, that doesn’t feel right to me mechanically. Also, I think they would want them to remain Items.

1 Like

Destroying at the Start phase instead of when the power is used has a few other advantages: the card sticks around to absorb Item destruction, or for Unity to turn into a bot.

3 Likes

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I didn’t have much issue with the ammo mechanics, as they are. My problem with Expat is her lack of extra draw/plays. Paired with a support like Argent Adept or Onmi-X and she’s great. But with just Dark Watch…

1 Like