Tactics Storage Solutions?

I have an excel file that I used as a template for my token packs.  It is no where near as polished as your resources, but I'll gladly share the file if you want to play around with it and/or improve it for mass consumption.

My template is a less than intuitive, and I will probably need to post a photographic how-to guide for the finished product.  However, if there is enough interest (which should be interpreted as 1 or 2 people), I'll gladly take the time to do so. 

It was somewhat time consuming to set up everything, but well worth it in the long run.  I spent about a week printing and assembling Spiff's amazing tuckpacks.  I then spent the better part of a weekend, designing and assembling my token packs.  

I am very much intersted in that file. I've been trying to figure out something to do with my tokens for a while now.

Are the token packs open on both the front and back, or are they just open on the front? I can't tell from the pic.

Add me to the "interested in the token packs" crowd.

They are closed on all but one side.

As I said previously mentioned, my template is not quite as easy to use as spiff's resources, but I believe I can provide good enough instructions to get you through it if you have a little patience...

I recommend using 65lb paper or similar card stock for durability. 

Step 1:  cut out the templates marked "LAVA" and "TOOL"

![](upload://zKTWJ6wZIh0buyspvcaq2NVGy9e.jpeg)

Step 2:  place your all your lava tokens + 1 additional token on the end flap line and place a mark on the other side

![](upload://buo3yEWPbLN3s9wDcvpS28rfCqG.jpeg)

Step 3:  align your TOOL on your mark, make sure you line up both sides of the center lines to ensure it is not crooked; then trace down both sides of the TOOL 

![](upload://1WCQxYpQDVxUw16yyuphI19c5xe.jpeg)

Step 4:  cut allong the outer edge of your token pack and the lines marked cut on the picture below

![](upload://k4UWVrZ3bxtfkzk8gv3AHVJEzdB.jpeg)

Step 5:  fold allong the lines

![](upload://syGUMXVCvfu1BJSLCGvSON9LX90.jpeg)![](upload://qYEgrrQmH4MuIhXq2KlDhBFyTAb.jpeg)

Step 6:  slighten shorten tabs A, C, D, and F

![](upload://hzlpqQ6EPuIi74y0ih2RTQ0tWmc.jpeg)![](upload://zWofVZ0TgnSfACpFKjIdxtnah8K.jpeg)

Step 7:  apply glue to tab A and glue it to the outside of tab B; apply glue to tab D and glue it to the outside of tab E

Step 8:  apply glue to tab C and glue it to the outside of tab A; apply glue to tab F and glue it to the outside of tab D

![](upload://87mv92d0CM2CpDXvpTR9q2lAx05.jpeg) ![](upload://dgi5qJypVegFSRRK79teQamoXbW.jpeg)![](upload://9uDdKejyLLOLIe4VR6ItXo9rLhi.jpeg)

Step 9:  tape the open edge of tabs A, B, and C together; then tape the open edge of tabs D, E, and F together

![](upload://cWkRNuEskMyVaUTwluoPVtwRoFc.jpeg)

Step 10:  cut out the handle marked LAVA

![](upload://oFXt9xT5yHnxS9eIKjcJZmqxo1F.jpeg)

Step 11:  turn the handle face down and use your token pack to mark the length of the pack

![](upload://qrxYhh1nHhp0WQQ72bOFmkAmJkr.jpeg)

Step 12:  put tape onto your handle sticky side up

![](upload://2kEzolvq5T9K5GiXiF6LauoYJPE.jpeg)

Step 13:  tape onto token pack and either wrap excess around the bottom the pack or cut excess off

![](upload://a33lZVcKw9uY8y1A2Dji1Odm9dY.jpeg)

Step 14:  you have finished your first token pack

![](upload://2DycmeL28h2DU7rVJAesArZCa7l.jpeg)

Step 15:  cut out any of the double marked templates, such as DEVICES and PYLONS/SHARDS

Step 16:  place the appropriate tokens + 1 addtional token on the inner edge of the end flap; then place a mark

![](upload://4fa7XNsIaf8BLXaFawiuvP1W4sV.jpeg)

![](upload://qbOt1Oz4wqQMtPP7oEKJkOoFw37.jpeg)

Step 17:  using your TOOL trace the other end flap onto each token pack  

![](upload://2Je8JzNnqww1BxY0LzMzuNfIQ0l.jpeg)![](upload://8HoUa5JNHI8VupYXkM4MhEWv9zw.jpeg)

Step 18:  cut out you token packs and repeat the assembly used on the LAVA pack.

![](upload://pLPLTtKYbegOtfkUrGWnZjoCurb.jpeg)

Step 19:  repeat until they are all complete and enjoy your newly organized tokens

tactics token sleeves.xls (24.5 KB)

Great stuff.  It shouldn't be too hard to streamline the creation process to make them a little easier to build, but the idea is super solid.  If you don't mind me poaching your project, I'd like to add these to my "to-do when I find the time" list because I think they'd be great to add to the other Tactics accessories on my site.  If you'd rather I didn't do that, just say so.  I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

You have my blessing.  I am more of an idea/prototype person.  I'm not tech savvy enough to put together the finished product.

You might also change up the token groupings.  Most of my groupings are logical, except my catch all for the tokens that will get removed when the next batch of mini's are released.  I also didn't do anything for the character tokens (since I use miniatures), but I'm sure a lot people would appreciate something for those tokens as well.

I played around with the template in Photoshop today.  Since I've removed my box insert a long time ago, I'm going for making boxes with a closeable flap lid, so they can be stacked in the bottom of the empty box rather than having to fit them into the space available in the insert.  I'm still kicking around designs for how I want the boxes to look, how the flaps should work, etc.  I'm trying to avoid having to make a bunch of individual boxes, each of a different width to hold different numbers of tokens, because that's a lot of work.  But I haven't found the best way to genericize the design yet.  I'll keep at it.

The token packs look cool, but is there any advantage over just bagging up the tokens?

If you're still using the insert, then I think Bharryn's baskets are a clear win because they keep the tokens organized and easy to get to in the small space you have available in the insert.  I agree that boxes like I'm considering are less necessary, though I'd say they provide two benefits over bagging - they'd stack cleanly in the bottom of the box and so reduce the clutter in there, and they'd be clearly labeled so you wouldn't have to dig through all your baggies to find the one with the tokens you're looking for (which I do every time).

It's still an open question in my mind whether those tiny advantages are compelling enough that I gotta have these token boxes or not.  But it's still a fun Photoshop project, which is why I'll probably keep at it a while longer.

I mitigate the "finding things" problem somewhat by organising my small token bags into larger bags. And I label them.

If you are a slightly OCD neat freak when it comes to organizing things, bags, no matter how neatly labelled, create a cluttered look.  As far as just basic practicality, bagging works just fine.

I have not.  Maybe I'll give that a try.

Have you considered a cereal box style insert tab?

At the end of the day, you are looking at roughly 5 different box sizes.  I think it could be stream lined to 3 sizes, though I would keep it at 4 sizes as 1/4" is a little too much wiggle room for my tastes. 

• 1 box - Lava is the biggest at 2"
  • 2 boxes - Drones and Devices are 1 3/4"
  • 3 boxes - Thug/Civilians, Impaling Structures & Blazing Tornado, and Dinos/Battalion/Underbosses/Decoy are 1 1/4"
                      Note:  This works better if you add the decoy to the other hero tokens until the mini comes out.  Otherwise the  Dinos/Battalion/Underbosses/Decoy box will be a very tight squeeze.
  • 3 boxes - Objectives, Ambuscade, and Turn Markers are 7/8"
  • 1 box - Pylons/Shards is 6/8"
If you are looking to genericize it a bit more, you can get it down to 3 @ 2", 3 at 1 1/4"  and 3 at 7/8".  I tried my 1 3/4" token stacks in my 2" box and while it works, the extra wiggle room would drive me nuts.  Same goes for Pylons/Shards in a 7/8" box. 

My particular brand of neat freakiness means that different tokens can't share the same bag or pack or whatever, so my only choice would be to have a lot of tiny packs. Not so practical for me.

i care much more about organisation than I do neatness.

Here's what I ended up going with:

They're 3-inches square by about 3/4-inches tall.  They stack very neatly in the box, and by keeping to a single standard box size, I didn't have to make one for every type of token in the game.  I haven't figured out how I'll handle monorail and mist long tokens yet.

They do mix similar token types in each box, which means they may not serve Silverleaf's needs, but they very handily serve my needs by reducing the clutter in the box and making it easy to figure out which box has the token I'm looking for.

They look great Spiff!

Silverleaf is completely aware that her needs are unreasonable, so we're all good. ;)

Played my friend's copy of Agricola last year. He tipped a pile of pig, sheep and cow meeples out onto the table from a single bag, all jumbled together.

I had to segregate them before I could start playing. I just couldn't leave them there like that.

My own copy has a foamcore insert so everything is organised perfectly.

I don't think I have genuine OCD because I don't think something very bad will happen if a sheep ends up in the cow section, but I really don't like it if things aren't sorted "properly". I know, weird.