Tech Support - Video Game Unlocks?

My old phone died, and I just got the replacement for it. When I reinstalled SOTM from the app store, I was disappointed to find that while it does recognize all of the expansions I’ve purchased, it doesn’t seem to know which hero and villain variants I unlocked on my old phone. Is there any way of importing unlock data from the old phone to the new, or am I stuck with having to perform the unlock challenges again? (The one that involves destroying both of Voss’s ships in one turn was an absolute fluke when it happened, and I doubt my ability to ever duplicate it.)

Your achievements should still be saved in Google Play Games or whatever the iOS equivalent is, so you can just manually unlock, honestly.

Your unlocks are based on your achievements, so perhaps they just didn’t sync yet? Either that or you’re on the Amazon app store, in which case you’re out of luck.

I had a lot of trouble with getting everything copied over, and I don’t know how to do anything with this technology. Please explain how to “synch” my “achievements”, the way you would explain it to your 5-year-old grandmother.

EDIT - On second thought, since the old phone has no Internet connection, it probably can’t be done, and I don’t have time to screw with it anymore, I need to send the phone back to the company and get my refund. I’ll just have to redo the unlocks.

I probably should have been more clear that once the Achievements are accomplished in Google Play/iOS, IIRC that’s it, they’re forever accomplished. So you might as well just manually unlock everything because re-doing the unlocks won’t really get you anything you don’t already have.

I also had something like this happen with a new phone; I just punched the manual unlock button on everything after that because the main thing I wanted was to play with the variants. Too bad that locked me out of Completionist Guise but that’s ok.

That is not okay with me. I’m outraged that a technical hiccup that just randomly happened to me one day will FOREVER deny me access to one of the more entertaining game modes that’s possible.

You can force unlock Completionist Guise too.

1 Like

It seems that my unlocks not being saved is the result of my choosing not to sign up for a Google Games account. It’s quite annoying having to skip the prompt every time it comes up, and the need to redo all my unlocks is another annoying consequence of this unfortunate design decision in the otherwise-excellent video game.

The really hard part here is that it’s also possible to port over the unlocks via physically copying over various files, but since your phone died I admit I assumed you had no access to its files.

Aha! All the ridiculousness confused and deterred me.

Good thing I unlocked him, because that variant is a little too intrusive to other players in the physical game. I don’t think I’ve ever had Completionist Guise hit the table.

So you chose not to enable the feature that would allow the achievements to be portable, and then blame the developers for not making them portable? I’m not sure how you thought it would work, then. The internet isn’t magic. Handelabra doesn’t have servers your progress could sync to, and even if they did you’d have to sign up for that.

Data can’t go anywhere if you don’t let it.

2 Likes

By my standards the “too intrusive” ship sailed with Guise the moment he came out with the card “Lemme See That”, which lets him take the Staff of Ra away from Ra’s player, then break it before it goes back. Compared to that, yoinking Ra’s character card and giving him a different one is not particularly beyond the pale.

As to how Handelabra ought to work, when I connected my two phones with a physical cable, I should have been able to open the phone OS’s equivalent of Windows Explorer, then just copy-paste all of the save files from the Sentinels of the Multiverse folder in Program Files or whatever it’s called. But because of the way these phones are designed to be “user friendly” toward people with even less technical expertise than me, the phone just gets the user’s permission to do everything for him, and gives him no ability to do anything for himself. It’s one of the things I hate most about modern technology. As someone who grew up in the 90s, a nice simple operating system is far more intuitive for me than either “no technology at all”, which older generations had, or “technology that’s too smart for its own good” like the Millenials grew up with.

You can typically still do that, if you’re willing to download a third-party file manager.

That’s like saying you can still drive your car if you’re willing to purchase wheel-rotators from some guy in a back alley. The manufacturer of a device should sell us a version of that device that actually works as intended out of the box, not requiring you to go to a bunch of other merchants (some of which may be on the shady side) and get a bunch of mutually-incompatible modifications added on to the technology. If “the market” (which I suspect actually means a small cabal of technocrats who decide all these things for the entire world in closed-door meetings, and then pretend that the public as a whole has decided by consensus to do things in a way that just happens to line up with their interests) wasn’t constantly saying “we all need everything to work like this”, forcing the technology to constantly “keep up with the Joneses” and change as often as the lengths of women’s hemlines, then maybe it wouldn’t be necessary for technology companies to rush buggy software and hardware onto the market, and then trust that a bunch of unpaid laborers and hobbyists all over the world will fix their broken machinery and its spaghetti-code programming for them.

I mean, at this point I honestly don’t understand what you want.

If you want to open up the phone’s OS and copy over the files, just do so. If you can’t, it’s because the maker of your phone designed a file manager that can’t do so, which means you have to install a third-party file manager. Handelabra’s literally not in the business of creating file managers.

The other method for transferring such things is an online-based one. Handelabra chose Google and iOS’s game-based systems for this. You have decided that you don’t want to use Google Play or the iOS equivalent, and any in-house method Handelabra created would, as MindWanderer noted, necessarily still require the same process of signing up for an account that you’ve rejected. (Asmodee does this, for instance.)

So you essentially want this transfer to happen despite rejecting every possible method by which it’s literally technically possible for a transfer to happen, which means I’m now really confused what you think Handelabra can do about this.

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re more upset with the way phones’ OS’s are designed than with Handelabra.

But yeah, phones are designed for casual users. Getting into the file system is not a thing most users need to do.

1 Like

Well I guess I can’t argue with any of that. It’s kind of my nature to be unsatisfied with things.