The End of the War

I may need to reprint those…

Speaking of which, has there been any more news on the Print-and-Play Prime War possibility? I know it’s only been a month, but I’m so close to trying to hack something together from the scraps I’ve heard - and I’m no game designer, so that’s probably a bad idea haha

I'm also itching to see what creative elements they got to have finished before things had to get scrapped, as what previews we've seen of that got me excited to see the rest.

Guys! The Prime War print and play is ready! Here's the PDFs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pawrwijo0wneja4/AACFarg2ftA1Mh5CoTmeGw8Ea?dl=0

The names have been changed btw!

Have fun you guys and let's talk about it here!

Can I also learn how to make Baklava? =)

Sorry, it's a secret that's centuries old and I, as the sworn guardian of such secret, can not let it fall into the wrong hands, lest the universe itself be put in grave danger!

1 Like

I paged through the docs, and although the quick start rules mention the co-op materials (e.g. Threat decks), I didn't find those decks in the files. Did I miss them?

I wonder if they got as far as designing the Prime War - uh, excuse me, Meanwhile!!! - character "upgrade" panels and cards for the existing Tactics miniatures.

I'd suggest asking them on the blog they wrote with the link https://loreforgegames.wordpress.com/2020/07/04/meanwhile-in-your-printer/

I asked there on the 14th but it still says "Your comment is awaiting moderation."

They’ve added some of the co-op stuff! I’m excited because that was probably the main thing I wanted from Prime War.

I’m actually really intrigued now that I’ve been able to look over the rules. In particular, it looks like you can only move if you pick an attack that includes a move, which makes for a really interesting set of tactical decisions. And also makes me imagine how Tachyon would work - I’m thinking that all of her cards except Lightspeed Barrage and Lightning Reflexes would have some move component, making her almost as difficult to hit as Writhe.

Ah, looks like some of the cards in your "Meanwhile" slots still activate abilities - they're not just cooling down. So you have to make sure you have enough movement between your currently selected card and your "Meanwhile" cards to do what you want... Though I don't see too many recurring movement abilities.

Interesting, so you kind of build an ever-changing set of capabilities for your character, if I understand that right! And you might prefer to have certain cards out on your "Meanwhile" track *instead* of selected or in your hand ready to play, because of whatever buffs/abilities they give you while out in one of those slots. Seems like making a move-attack-move-attack-move-attack build for Tachyon is well within the reason of possibility.

And the threats are doing the same thing - so that's kind of a way to have automated opponents act as if they're slowly changing their priorities, while maintaining some consistency over a few turns.

Co-op threats for Sorrow and Master Warden are now available in the dropbox. Inspired by a minor villain with a penchant for following strong, charismatic leaders, and a mogul that might have turned to managing an interdimensional restricted-living facility in another-other timeline.

We will eventually put out all of the content we had designed, including characters that may have gotten very little broad playtesting (Tactics conversions, an occasional BC/FP character, so. many. scenarios.), although we're going to try a slow drip, as people will likely have questions and this is unfortunately a lower priority project for us at the moment.

If you'd like more specific questions answered, please join our playtesting group/discord! We'll monitor here occasionally (as we're still fans of sentinels), and our website works too, but as MigrantP noted, sometimes notifications about comments slip through the cracks!

I'm glad to see that the Meanwhile system is intriguing to you! It is one of the things we're most proud of, as we think it combines a low enough floor for new players that want to focus on their round-by-round actions with a high skill ceiling for advanced players who want to really tweak a skill rotation and see how they can push a character.

We mentioned two-week bits in our last post, and will likely only be a week behind with pushing out the first of our co-op scenarios as well as three additional playable characters this weekend. Thanks for your patience, and we look forward to seeing what you think!

I suppose this explains why the Tactics forum was locked after I posted in it. This is the first I’m hearing about Tactics (aka Prime War, although I had never heard about that rebranding before joining this forum) having officially ended; I just thought it was kind of floundering out there somewhere. Too bad, but not that surprising.

Maybe someone in the community can use the RPG’s rules, but ignore its version of the timeline, and put together a fan product that fleshes out the Tactics/Prime War version of the future for RPG use. There’s something to be said for the darker “heroes hunted” scenario, and certainly I want the chance to fight Hippocalypse someday.

Wait, I’m a little confused. Adam and Christopher said in podcast 75 that they had played a bunch of Prime War. That was in 2018! If it was already a playable game that long ago, how was it unable to be put on the market within the next two years.

Designing the game completely and then shelving it seems like the worst of two worlds, I don’t quite understand. (EDIT: Okay I understand a little, having read the whole thread and the Loreforge blog post. Still seems odd they wouldn’t just publish a finished game, even if it wasn’t ideal, so they could at least recoup some funding from all their efforts.
If they did a print-on-demand thing they could avoid any risk of overstock.)

Locking as this has been hashed out many times in many places – and there is no benefit in it churning up again.

2 Likes