The Fence's power does whatnow?

The Fence's power says:

Unlimited: Give an attack+1, Defense+1, Aim, or Dodge token to an adjacent character

If I use that to give an adjacent character an Aim token, won't it just go away at the beginning of that character's turn, making it completely useless?

Wouldn't an Aim token be useful for Thugs, who generate Hazard Spaces and don't seem to have a traditional turn? Wait, no; Thugs aren't "characters."

So an Aim would only be useful for a character with the possibility of attacking off-turn. Hidden Blade Strike?

Off the top of my head, Beacon's Bolstering Team-up gives an allie an action during Beacon's turn, and we could see more of that. I imagine Exemplar might have similar capabilities...

Yeah, any ally or companion that generates hazards or counter attacks could use an Aim off their turn.  You actually saw a couple of people take that with Ra in the tourney yesterday with people under Blazing Tornado

The ability specifically says "character," i.e. someone with a character panel. Companions don't count. A fair number of characters have off-turn attacks, but not too many of them are going to be paired up with the Fence.

Ambuscade likes aim tokens for off-turn actions.  Likewise any character that generates hazard spaces can use them to good effect.

I was saying that companions could use aim off turn, not specifying the Fence.  However, since the Operative has at least two turns that could generate off turn attacks, this could be used with her

Isn't it true that the Underbosses are only ever played in Scenario 1: New Organization in the Uprising book, which means they'll never be in a game with allies like Ambuscade or any of the other characters mentioned here?  They'll only ever be able to give the Aim token to Operative who could, I guess, use it for when she's generating hazard spaces.

I was just surprised because it seems like the use case for that part of that power is so specialized as to be practically useless.  Although, to be fair, if it had been worded to just say, "give out one token of any type", I probably wouldn't have even given Aim a second thought and it would have seemed fine.

Yeah. I assumed there will be additional scenarios, plus we can create our own. :slightly_smiling_face:

If I remember right, the Fence originally said something like "any token", but it got changed to this more verbose version when someone mentioned that there might be other kinds of tokens in the future that it could do weird things with. So now it spells out the 4 main kinds of tokens.

So, just to be clear, we are supposed to blame "someone"? The hunt begins!

The Operative has Hidden Blade Strike to cgenerate Hazard Spaces that can occur outside of her turn. SHe also has Bitter Spiral that allows her to make an attack when she blocks attack dice. THere is also the Contract, who can take an action whenever a thug in her line of sight is destroyed, which can be used to make an attack. There are also Thugs, which generate Hazard Spaces. 

Also it should be noted, since Thugs don't actually have turns, the only ways for them to lose their Aim tokens is for them to use it, for them to be destroyed, or something that can remove Aim tokens. It's also entirely possible for The Contract to never take a turn and only act when a Thug is destroyed, leading to the only way to get red of them is the same as the Thugs.

The Fence's ability targets an adjacent "character." Underbosses and Thugs aren't characters.

Does it now? At least half my examples of what cards can use Aim is still valid.

The Aim token is a very situational use, and wouldn't stand out as silly if it wasn't mentioned by name.

Most of the time it will be silly to use, but every once in a while it will be worth it, so it is a nice option to have.

As a side note, when Operative is at 1 or 2 HP she cannot use Aim or Dodge actions, but she can still use Aim and Dodge Tokens.

(mwahaha)

I don't have the book in front of me, but as I recall, the "Continuing the Story" section of Scenario 4 gives the villains an underboss if Operative won Scenario 1.  That would mean the fence could be allied with Ambuscade.