The mysterious new game from Handelabra is now on Steam: One Deck Dungeon!

It's available in Early Access now. Give it a try and let us know what you think!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/770100/One_Deck_Dungeon/

I caught the release trailer on Youtube. :D Who did the voiceover?

It's awesome! Great job Handelabra!

It says on the Kickstarter page to log into the Backer Kit thingy to get my key...but I don't know if I have an account. I clicked on the link to get to the login page for Backer Kit but the password I tried didn't work, and on entering my e-mail address in the "forgot password" thingy it says it doesn't recognise it. I only have one e-mail address so I won't have used another one. I don't remember actually making a Backer Kit account anyway (I don't remember using it for anything else - previous games I've backed that have given out keys have done so via Humble Bundle) so I'm a bit confused how to access my stuff?

I actually really dislike this game. I backed it mainly to support Handlabra and because it had Fanatic as a stretch goal and she is one of my favorite characters, but after a few runs though the dungeon I kind of wish I had not.

I do like it, but I admit I'm looking forward to the campaign mode milestone because getting to play the game more frequently makes it more clear the game was balanced around the campaign mode and is nigh impossible otherwise. X3

The sorrow from losses doesn’t entice you?

Upon retrospect, maybe picking a non-in character forum name might have been prudent for times such as these.

My single biggest character flaw is that I hate losing, its something I have worked a lot on over the years and I say that I am better at it, but it still bothers me. Its part of the reasons i like co-op gaming and tabletop roleplaying more then competative gaming. Thats really more on me then anything in the game though.

I do take some hope that this forthcoming campaign mode might be a little less random and punishing then the base game has been.

It takes some trial and error to get better at.   I’ve never played campaign myself but overall enjoy playing it.  Mostly I’m waiting for the iOS release since I’m more likely to play there than on my computer. 

I feel like it did from my experience with the cardboard version. Even if you lose you still make progress towards earning new skills, and in turn those skills give you more resources with which to win more often.

That said, there are ways to work up to at least losing mainly at the boss rather than along the way. Remembering that you don't have to "win" an encounter to still earn it was the biggest mental hurdle for me, versus enacting triage and deciding which damage you can best soak.

Your survey is marked as answered, so you did do that. I resent your backerkit survey to you. Get in touch with us at http://handelabra.com/contact if you still have trouble. Thanks!

Also, don't forget to make sure you're trying to login to the Backer part of Backerkit, on the right side of the login page, not the Creator part of Backerkit on the left.

Okay cool, following the link in the survey e-mail took me to a page where I could get the key. Thanks! :D

Honestly? I just unistalled it, and I really have no one to blame but myself. I should have done more research into what kind of game it was, rather then just giving money to Handlabra because they made the video game i have put the most time into and because it had a very minor tie in.

I will say that all of my problems with the game are with the game itself, so i do recommend it as a fine port to anyone who has played the physical copy, enjoyed it, and just wants a digital version.

If it makes you feel better, I ended up feeling the same way about Bot9; it's a nicely designed port but the game itself ended up not doing anything for me. I mainly only bought Sentinels of the Ninth because I wanted the cute artwork.

Since I have to be honest and say that even with the campaign mode this game is still more of a "how far can you get" sort of game where you will still lose more often than win, so I'm not sure it would ever meet your game preferences.

(Game preferences that I empathize with, FWIW; a similar sentiment drives why I don't play action-y games and rarely play multiplayer anything.)

Haven't tried it yet but it's basically a card-and-dice-based Roguelike, isn't it? In which case you can expect to die constantly, and actually winning is a major achievement.

Tried the game out yesterday. I enjoyed it and think Handelabra has done a really good job with the implementation so far.

I look forward to figuring out how to not die so often.

Spoilered advice (for anyone who really does want to figure it out totally on their own):

As I alluded to in my response to the Gloomies, triage is important. There's a lot of times where you'll take an event knowing you can't complete it entirely but you can complete it enough to soak the resulting damage. Just make sure what you're gaining is better than what you're losing.

Make sure to carefully count minimum required dice (especially when it comes to armor dice) when gauging whether or not to roll heroic feat dice or take on an encounter at all. For spaces with amounts higher than 6, it helps to assume you'll get an average of 3 or 4 on a single die barring any dungeon or enemy effects. (So an 8 would want 2 dice, a 12 would want 3, 16 would want 4, etc.)

Don't be afraid to game your character's feats and skills to the max. Go ahead and factor in the Paladin or Archer's skills when seeing how much damage you can soak, abuse the Mage's heroic feat by fleeing from an encounter to get a heroic die and then immediately reentering that encounter (thus essentially spending two time to get one heroic die), etc.

Sometimes it can be better to use skills to cover deficiencies in dice rather than taking the dice directly. There's quite a few skills which let you trade excess dice in one color for either heroic dice or dice in another color, often at a 2-to-1 advantage. The Agility stat especially loves this, with Magic being a secondary stat for this.

Trading in stat dice cards for matching stat dice+heart cards is frequently a very good deal.

Don't forget that taking a potion card immediately gives you a potion, so if the potential stat die is weak and you're not close to levelling, it can be useful sometimes to accept any old potion card just for the sake of getting a potion to cure your wounds with.

Remember that it takes three time hearts to have the stairs deal you damage, so you can often milk out one extra door reveal before decending (just be careful that completing the encounter won't require bleeding a lot of extra time).

At this point I can generally consistently get to the boss, but figuring out how to bank up enough resources to survive multiple rounds is still a work-in-progress for me.

Great tips Jeysie, I will have to give those tactics a try.

I've had a few goes and so far have got to the first boss once or twice but then died. It's certainly very tricky!