Hello, folks! As part of reading through Terror Forms, I decided to go ahead and create my own versions of the Paradigms, so that I can use pregens appropriate to the comic. I’m going to take my best guesses at the full five-person membership for this time. These guesses are based on the following information which has been related to us by Christopher and Adam:
- The Paradigms are meant to represent RevoCorp’s commitment to change and redemption
- The Paradigms are aggressively recruiting from established superheroes
- There are five Paradigms
- The team as a whole is tech-oriented
- Benchmark’s suit has new abilities
- Parse can use her analysis remotely via drones
- “It would be weird for Unity and Omnitron to not be involved in some way” (this quote was quite early in the development cycle)
- Of our two remaining members, one “needs a bunch of story stuff relayed to get to the “team” stuff and the other needs to even be established (as they’re a “brand new character”).”
- Four of the heroes work well together, but the fifth is a monkey wrench in the works sufficient to be the primary marketing pitch for the comic
- Tantrum is not a member of the team
With those notes, I’ve taken what I think are some solid swings. Today, I’ll put up our team leaders, tomorrow I’ll follow up with Parse and my best guess about what our ‘new hero’ will look like, and on Friday I’m going to finish off by pitching our monkey wrench.
Unity (Paradigm Team Leader)
Real Name: Devra Caspit
Background: Upper Class, Power Source: Unknown, Archetype: Minion Maker
Principles: Gearhead, Team
Status: Green d10, Yellow d8, Red d6, Health: 28
Qualities: Creativity d10, Technology d10, Insight d8, Science d8, Persuasion d8, Lead By Example d8
Powers: Robotics d10, Metal d8, Electricity d8, Inventions d6
- Spawn Golem [A]: Create a minion using Robotics. Reference the minion chart to see what size of minion it is. Choose whether it can Attack, Defend, Boost, Hinder, or Overcome. It acts on the start of your turn.
- Hasty Augmentation [A]: Boost another hero or one of your minions using Metal. Either use your Max die, or use your Mid die and make that bonus persistent.
- Principle of the Gearhead [A]: Overcome a technological challenge and use your Max die. You and each of your allies gain a hero point.
- Principle of the Team [A]: Overcome by using your status as an official representative of RevoCorp and use your Max die. You and each of your allies gain a hero point.
- Bot Shield [R]: Reduce any damage you take by the number of minions you have. Whenever damage is reduced in this way, reduce the size of one of your minions.
- Brainstorm [A]: Attack using Electricity. Hit one target with your Min die, another target with your Mid die, and Boost using your Max die.
- Friends Helping Friends [A]: Boost all nearby allies using Robotics, using your Max+Mid dice. Hinder yourself with your Min die.
- Construction Pylon [A]: Create two minions using Robotics, one with your Max die and another with your Mid die. Choose a basic action for each. They act at the start of your turn.
- Powered Shockwave [A]: Attack using Electricity. Use your Max die plus a bonus equal to the number of minions you have.
- Unorthodox Solutions (I): When taking any action using Creativity, you may reroll your Min die before determining effects.
- Boost an ally using Metal.
So, we’ve already seen a version of Unity for the RPG back in the Starter Set. This version updates her to be the co-leader of the Paradigms, but it’s pretty close; she’s still a cheerful minion-maker of unknown power source, focusing on ‘making’ friends.
The main difference is the Background shift. The original Unity had the Unremarkable background, representing that she was an intern from a modest background who joined the Freedom Five. But the Unity who joins the Paradigms has spent years working with the FF, rubbing shoulders with the elites of the superhero and mundane world. She’s got more connections and knowledge, which changes her Background to Upper Class and gives her access to the Principle of the Team in place of her old Principle of Levity, and shifts her Banter to Persuasion as she works harder to reach out to people instead of just goofing off. I also shifted one of her Yellow abilities to be more of a team-focused boost.