Tiny suggestion for strongspearstrong random character generator

I am absolutely loving the random character generator at https://sentinels.strongspearstrong.com/ and having a ton of fun seeing what crazy (yet often surprisingly viable) combinations it throws at me. :slight_smile:

If the creator of that awesome tool is on here I wanted to make one tiny suggestion, please:

Is it possible to please make the page for a newly-generated random character include the seed number for that character in the URL? A few times Iā€™ve left characters open in tabs only to find them rerolled when I got back. :frowning:

It would be super-appreciated if possible, please. :blush:

1 Like

Not the creator of that tool, but once youā€™ve generated a character click the Seed link above Characteristics.

2 Likes

Oh thatā€™s really neat, thank you!

Unfortunately it doesnā€™t look like itā€™s in the ā€˜bland tableā€™ option that I normally use but itā€™s still very handy.

2 Likes

Just add / and the seed number to the end of the URL, works with the bland table, e.g.:
https://sentinels.strongspearstrong.com/newherobland/5534239119706748174

1 Like

Ya. Iā€™m suggesting the creator make the site do that automatically by default when it generates a new character.

The counter-argument is that someone just wanting to bookmark or link to the page in general (or non-specific seed) now has to edit their link, so it becomes a usability hurdle for others. It also means that if you hit ā€œrefreshā€ you donā€™t get a new seed. The html-rich page solves this by have the button link that modifies the URL, but since the bland page is, well, bland, it canā€™t. Seems like a conscious design and usability choice.

If the creator wanted to add that option, Iā€™d suggest sticking a parameter like ā€œs/ā€ in the URL and have that trigger the behaviour.

You could always write a grease-monkey script or something that does that (just add the seed to the URL automatically) for you if you use that page that way extensively.

1 Like

You make good points I hadnā€™t considered, thanks.