Tips for the dreamer( and/or spite)

Hi everybody. I’ve recently been having problems with the last two villains in my collection that I haven’t defeated yet. Anyone got any tips to help out with them?(Villains in question are Dreamer and Spite)

I’m going to assume you have all the Sentinels DLC here, since they’re both in expansions.

The Dreamer is honestly very difficult. Things that help out include irreducible damage (Parse’s card that makes all hero damage irreducible for a round is great), target destruction (things like Final Dive and Sucker Punch) and just heroes who can hit one target really hard while never, ever hitting all non-hero targets. Leave Tempest at home.

A general note is that she is one of the few villains who is far easier to beat on H=3. (Spite is a bit easier with 3 also!) It means you have fewer things you need to accomplish to beat her, plus she deals less damage and plays fewer cards on her flip side.

My favorite strategy, of course, is the double-End of Days with Fanatic. :slight_smile: You play one End of Days to immediately flip her, that’s easy. The second, however, needs to be played when there are enough Projections in play and/or under her card that you’ll win, and there must be an Illusory Demon in play. You destroy however many cards you want (don’t hit Choose for Me!), making sure to destroy the Demon last. Its death will destroy a hero ongoing card, so you can destroy End of Days and stop the effect. (If you aren’t careful, however, you can destroy the Projections underneath the Dreamer, setting yourself back a lot of work!)

As for Spite, he’s awful, plain and simple. Not super hard, but difficult, and mostly just boring. Strategies for beating him depend a lot on what Drugs he has out/you find hardest to deal with, but eventually he’ll have all of them out, so who cares? :’)

Demon’s Kiss and Mind-Phyre
There’s not much you can do other than bring tanks. They really aren’t a huge issue, at least not before his damage boost comes out, and you can even benefit from them with cards like Captain Cosmic’s Constructs that react when they take damage, or Luminary’s retaliation Devices.

Also, once Mind-Phyre enters play, the environment ceases to be a factor in the fight, which is something to keep in mind. Cards won’t stay in play longer than one turn, which means they get to do on-entry effects, end of turn effects, and on-destruction effects and that’s it. But the Naturalist, for instance, can’t wield the environment against Spite, he just breaks it too easily. That said, a classic strategy of mine if I’m going for the “just flip, already!” fight is to play Spite in Rook City. Normally a bad idea as it strengthens the villain, once Mind-Phyre is in play, the environment, again, doesn’t matter, and the deck acceleration helps make him flip faster.

The One That Gives Him Damage Reduction
It’s first-hit damage reduction, so your choices are threefold. Either you bring irreducible damage, heroes good at hitting multiple times in a turn, or heroes who are good at hitting one thing really hard. This is probably the easiest one to deal with, though it does slow the game down, especially while he’s healing. This is also what makes him easier on H=3, because 1 DR is a lot easier to get around than 2 or 3.

The One That Hits You When You Use a Power
This Drug sucks! :slight_smile: Nothing quite like being punished for trying to fight the villain, right?

Unfortunately, there’s very little you can do about it. I mean, you can bring a big tank like Scholar or Omnitron-X to soak that 2-3 damage, but that’s mostly only going to benefit themselves. Alternately, you can bring heroes like Tachyon or Luminary, who love having 5 cards thrown into their trash every round. They can build up really quickly!

This Drug of course disincentivizes heroes who use a lot of powers, i.e. Argent Adept, so leave them at home.

The One That Puts Your Stuff Back in Your Hand
I hate this card so much. D: It’s the worst card in the deck of the worst villain in EE, if you ask me. That being said, it can be played around.

My go-tos are Sky-Scraper (normal, not the variant) and Omnitron-X. It’s very easy to get them both set up and playing tons of cards every round. Then at the start of his turn, you just put two or three back in hand, and you won’t miss them. :slight_smile: It’s especially fun with the Compulsion Canisters, since you can make him hit himself over and over again, though before he flips he’ll just heal it off.

Otherwise, concentrate on playing one more ongoing and equipment card per round than he’s putting away. Try to prioritize returning cards with on-entry effects, like Inspiring Presence or Living Conflagration, so you can keep benefiting from them.

General Tips
Obviously, DR is your friend. Anyone with a 1 or 2 damage reduction card in their deck will survive a lot better than a hero without.

Saving Victims is up to you. If you can get a bunch, like more than 3 I’d say, it’s worth having him deal that big chunk of damage to himself when he flips. If he keeps busting them out of the Safe House, though, I tend to just let them go, especially the Good Samaritans, who are the only ones who can take themselves out of play before they get to safety despite you trying to save them.

Also, if Thiago is in play, remember that you can safely keep him there so long as A) there’s another Victim, B) Spite isn’t regularly dealing 4+ damage on his turn with Collateral Damage in play. Getting those card draws every round can be huge.

Heroes tend to get wrecked by their nemeses, but Spite is one of the few who can be easily outclassed by his. Wraith of course has to be careful of the power retaliation damage, but especially if you can get two Stun Bolts out, you can really nerf him in a big way while also dealing extra damage. (It’s even better with the Micro-Computer!) Anyone else capable of reducing a target’s damage is of course useful, but not too many heroes can do that with their second hit, or without dealing damage at all.

Lastly, if you’re trying to beat him without the flip, you want to be careful with deck manipulation. Older heroes like Visionary and, again, the Wraith are much better options for this, as newer heroes (especially from Earth Prim) tend to go with a replace-or-discard schema. You don’t want to discard those Drugs unless you’re trying to flip him faster!

Do You Just Want to Wreck Him?
Step 1: Bring Void Guard Writhe

Step 2: Get Umbral Siphon

Step 3: Hit Spite with Umbral Siphon

Step 4: Watch him crumble to dust like a noob. :slight_smile:

You can get similar results with Siren from Earth Prime and her Scouring Duststorm.

That’s all I’ve got off the top of my head! This was fun to type out XD

3 Likes

Managed to beat Young Vanessa but cannot beat spite after a couple more attempts. I’ll come back to him later.

2 Likes

I got him!

3 Likes

Congrats!

… no Writhe :pensive:

Yeah I don’t have mini pack five but still pulled out a win

2 Likes