Unexpected combinations

Prime Warden Haka can use his Haka cards on villain targets with his power ...

It was very useful against the Dreamer: You can heal her when she is in bad shape or shield her when a hero is about to use an AoE damage card.

That was how I beat Ultimate Dreamer for the first time.  And also the only time I ever used Haka of Shielding to good effect.

Healing Dreamer is the bomb. Not sure I’ve ever shielded her!

That's amazing. :O

I knew about using Rhapsody of Vigor to heal the Dreamer, but that Haka trick is pretty sweet.

~A-Kat

Really funny one happened to me today:

"Ensnaring Brambles prevented Akash'Flora from dealing damage."

I stumbled upon this is a random game. Guise plus Harpy.  Get out several of Harpy's ongoings and then Uh Yeah I'm That Guy becomes really potent. I lucked into Barbarian and Harpy Hex with this setup and suddenly every token flip procs bonus damage from Harpy and boosted bonus damage from Guise. I finished off Spite with a Mystical Outburst, flipping 4 tokens and watching the fireworks. 

Haka of Shielding can also help with Challenge mode Dreamer.

Found a fun combo today for Guise in OblivAeon Mode. Have Guise copy the text of A brother's sacrifice and you can remove Uh, yeah I'm That Guy instead to prevent the damage and give the heroes immunity. This leaves the original in play to be used later.

I had a ridiculous combo with Mister Fixer in the Time Cataclysm.

We all know how Mister Fixer loves Fixed Points, but specifically what I got out of my first Fixed Point was Alternating Tiger Claw + Riveting Crane. Also in play was the Atlantean Throne Room, so...I left that in play the whole time. First with Overdrives and later a Jack Handle, Mister Fixer eliminates the cover for the villains while the heroes get -1 damage and +1 card draw!

After I incapacitated Nuit and the Fixed Point reshuffled into the deck, I later ungraded to a Jack Handle + Pipe Wrench >:)

Recently ran into an unusual occurence involving Termi-Nation Unity and Omni-Unity.  I used Unity's base power when she had no golems out, but I forgot that Stuntman had Omni-Unity and Lance-Flammes in play, so Unity destroyed Lance-Flammes and shuffled it into her deck.  I eventually drew it into Unity's hand, but when I played it it went into Stuntman's play area, so unfortunately Unity didn't get to use a flamethrower. 

How cool. :O What happened with the card vis-a-vis playing it tracks with a lot of the shenanigans Guise can pull, too.

On a related note: If Termination Unity does the same thing with another player's reward card she will get to use that reward if she plays it (T-Rex bot is the easiest to do this with but all equipment and ongoing rewards are in theory stealable, thanks to Omni-Unity and Catpit's Playground).

> I stumbled upon this is a random game. Guise plus Harpy.  Get out several of Harpy's ongoings and then Uh Yeah I'm That Guy becomes really potent. I lucked into Barbarian and Harpy Hex with this setup and suddenly every token flip procs bonus damage from Harpy and boosted bonus damage from Guise. I finished off Spite with a Mystical Outburst, flipping 4 tokens and watching the fireworks.

Sweet!

Uh, Yeah is super fun with any characters that are really Ongoing-heavy. Harpy does have a great ability to get a bunch of those in play!

I don’t know if “Unexpected combinations” is the right place for this, but what the heck.

The “Randomize” button gave me a fun setup that had an unusual conclusion, which I’ll call Spam Musubi.

Kaargra Warfang vs DW Expat, Setting Sun Ra, F5 Legacy, Akash SotV, and La Comodora in the Temple of Zhu Long. (I was initially concerned about Akash giving the Bloodsworn more targets to destroy, but it didn’t matter)

It went something like this:

• I think Kaargra played both of her Bloodsworn Judgements
  • Expat plays Assault Rifle; seeing Shock Rounds also in her hand, she uses Aim to set up next round.
  • Ra probably played his Staff, then Blazed.
  • Legacy played something (I don’t think he had Inspiring Presence, though that would have been fun), then let Ra play Imbued Fire
  • Akash did something, I don’t remember.
  • LaC played Paradoja Figurehead and sent it to Expat
  • The environment gave me a Shinobi Assassin
  • Kaargra played a couple of victims for me.
  • Expat played Shock Rounds, then Fired Assault Rifle at her victims. With Aim, Fire, and Pardoja, that was 5 damage from the Assault Rifle, and 4 from Shock Rounds. More if I had Inspiring Presence.

I realized that the gladiators weren’t going to survive the round, which meant that Kaargra was going to flip. But seeing the amount of favor I’d racked up, I realized that had a chance if I could repeatedly abuse that assassin enough. So I put it on top of Expat’s deck. Then Ra wiped the board, and I put the assassin on Ra’s deck. Repeat with help from Thrashing Brambles and Temporal Rigging, and I just made it, with favor 20-2, before the environment got a second turn.

In some fighting games, spamming the same cheap move over and over will get you booed. Apparently these fans LOVED seeing that poor ninja get brutally killed over and over. I’m going to call him Kenny from now on.

I’ve replayed the scenario numerous times, and have had a lot of fun with it. Kaargra has only managed to win once (darn Fickle Fans). Some more fun:

• Resurrection Ritual which keeps “Get Back In There!” from returning gladiators to play
  • Take Down and As the Earth Turns keep Kaargra from playing, and LaC’s power lets her return those cards to their decks.
  • When Kaargra is in play, preventing you from winning, you can accumulate a lot of favor while trying to flip her back. One of my wins was 49-14.
1 Like

More fun from “Randomize” – the Temple of Zhu Long, with either the Naturalist (and the always-fun Environmental Allies) or the Visionary (with the “I almost never use it” Mass Levitation). The heroes are now protected from the environment, and when you get 3 Mysterious Ceremonies in play, you get a lot of extra card draws and/or plays. Bonus if you have Sky-Scraper and she adds some Aggression Modulators to the Apprentice Poisoner(s) or The True Form (with Master of the Temple causing him to hit everybody).

This game continues to amaze me sometimes.

Just found out Harpy can play Eldritch Training and destroy a card stolen by La Capitan for a free power use.

I guess it’s because it’s destroy “one of your hero cards” instead of, say, F6 Tempest’s innate power, which specifies keywords.

I think I just assumed those cards were not in play on her front side. XD

Unless I’m misunderstanding, F6 Tempest can destroy one of their cards under La Capitan to draw cards.

Oh, you know, you’re right, he also doesn’t specify keywords. :open_mouth: