Weekly One-Shot #272: The Source of Foes

A big one this week as The Prime Wardens square off against OblivAeon.

The battle starts between the Maerynian Refuge and Fort Adamant (potentially spilling over into the Nexus of the Void, the Ruins of Atlantis and The Court of Blood) - with his Scions, Aeon Master and Progeny first out the gate - and sees PW Argent Adept, PW Captain Cosmic, PW Fanatic, PW Tempest and PW Haka banding together to take on their toughest opponent yet, Oblivaeon.

1 Like

Starting this match and being met with my least favourite of his shields didn’t fill me with much optimism for how the fight was going to. Which was only compounded with the first of his card plays being a Tear Through Reality which took a pretty large chunk out of my Heroes HP. Thankfully Haka had access to a couple of early Ground Pounds which let me stick around long enough to get rid of the Aeon Master and destroy OblivAeon’s Shield, picking up quite a few rewards along the way. Unfortunately they all ended up dying pretty shortly after to a poorly timed Scion Deck card play. (Was sad to lose everyone apart from Prime Warden Captain Cosmic, who I cannot seem to make work no matter how hard I try).

The game from there was pretty straight forward. After picking 4 of the most OP heroes to replace them (TL Tachyon, Hunted Naturalist, Grandfather Legacy, Argent Adept) and Ra, I started to recover the rewards that had been dropped by the fallen heroes. And as soon as Legacy had his combo of Next Evo and Lead From the Front, up and running, the game was pretty much smooth sailing from then on.

Haven’t beaten it yet. I actually restarted, purposefully losing out on the Mint because I needed to rewind too much.

Though I discovered I hate rewinding in OA mode. :confused: When it’s like, still the start of Argent Adept’s turn and I accidentally clicked Tempest instead of Fanatic, so now we have to go back through all that again.

I was surprised at how easy it was to flip the Shield with this crew. Also at how Argent was kind of hard to manage? Like, you want him where everyone else is, but that’s not necessarily where you want everyone else that round.

I dropped every Scion, Voss included, and still lost in the third stage to Multiverse destruction. :confused:

Phew near mint! Man, Aeon Master is the key to that shield, completely. Use him to make the dudes come out so you can kill them and flip the shield, then kill the Master to disappear his dudes. Then I was off to the races. Obli never feels easy, but boy the second time went way better than my floundering first attempt.

1 Like

Fine after one not so great try, then a very close second game. First game, I couldn’t seem to time the “destroy 4 Aeon Men in one turn” without OblivAeon switching zones and blowing them all up. Second game, I built up tokens too fast, and it came down to a Shard boosted Benchmark with Mecha-Knight doing over 120 damage in one turn (and not even his own) and blowing through OA’s third phase in one go. Unfortunately, Voss stepped up and destroyed the last environment.

Third game went better. I kept tokens from building up too quickly from his Absorb Energies while also not losing too many heroes. Ended up bringing out Grandpa Legacy and normal Haka to help control damage/card plays, and started getting very set up. Fanatic ended up with the Shard and Mecha-Knight this time, but it wasn’t as borked as it could have been as there were only 2-3 tokens left at the time. Also we somehow went through all the Scions and we went through them fast. Phase 2 and 3 (+ Voss) were pretty much empty of Scions.

~A-Kat

I think I misunderstood some replies above, defeating Aeon Master will not flip the Shield, so I wasted my third attempt completely and now I’m sick of playing this one. :confused:

@TakeWalker Yeah, I think you misunderstood. Killing Aeon Master is the easy way to end the first phase, not for flipping the shield.

To kill four Aeon Men in one turn you need to have Aeon Master and Oblivaeon in different zones. At the end of Oblivaeon’s turn, he should play three Aeon Men into the other zone (the one with Aeon Master in it). Hit Aeon Master to pop a fourth one out, and then concentrate on bringing them all down to low enough HP to wipe them in one turn.

Once that’s done and the shield flips to Counteraction Aura, then you focus fire on Aeon Master, because killing him will wipe out all the Aeon Men and should remove the shield to move you into phase 2. The only way it can go wrong, really, is if one of the other scions just happens to play Aeon Assault between the last hero turn and Oblivaeon’s turn. It’s usually worth using some deck control to be sure that can’t happen, if you have it, but often you just have to trust to luck.

1 Like

By the way, during this one-shot, I unlocked the BE THE GATE achievement for completing all the mission cards in one game!

Oh wow. :open_mouth:

I did figure it out and beat the one-shot, a little late, but I thank you regardless. :slight_smile: