Weekly One-Shot #281: The Effusion of Pain

OblivAeon ( :bangbang: :flushed:) vs. Mainstay, Stuntman, and Dr. Medico! In this corner, we have Borr the Unstable in Insula Primalis! In the other corner, Dark Mind in the Final Wasteland! (Magmaria, Silver Gulch, Omnitron IV as backups.)

Jeez! Never tried a 3 hero OblivAeon game before… This could get hairy. I expect things will quickly go divergent as in any OblivAeon game. Prepare to be trolled as the game begins… That’s all I’ll say for now, besides GL, HF! (Don’t die? :pray: :crossed_fingers:)

Okay, Mint! Was not really bad at all. Made a couple minor errors that I was able to easily overcome. Ended with Final Wasteland removed from existence, 5 Scions eliminated, and 3 heroes incapacitated. The champions were Malpractice Medico, Stuntman, and Greatest Legacy, all at full health! Almost my dream team - I’d take Action Hero over base Stuntman, but did he ever dish out some damage!

I really hate OA one-shots. Nothing like spending two hours playing a game only to lose it horribly because there was nothing you could do better. :expressionless: He starts off by killing Dr. Medico and really just did nothing but insta-incap heroes and summon scions for the rest of the game. This was the easiest I’ve ever gotten rid of Effusion of Pain, and it’s nice only taking 3 extra damage in phase 1, but when you’ve only got three heroes, there’s just nothing you can do about there being more than three scions in play. You’re gonna lose no matter what.

Near mint after the first game couldn’t quite get enough uses out of Oblivaeon Shard + Mecha-Knight before Voss came out in phase 3, but it was close. Second game went better, ending it before Voss showed up at all.

Being Oblivaeon, I can’t really give specifics, but replacing Dr. Medico with base Tempest, then letting him go down allows the “All heroes are immune to Infernal” trick to avoid the worst of Oblivaeon’s damage. If you switch everyone to zone 2 first turn, you will flip the shield on his next turn. Also, Form the Mecha-Knight doesn’t work so well with Dark Mind out, so keep that in mind.

Legacy is always good with Heroic Interception/Take Down, and Benchmark, Chrono-Ranger, and Stuntman are good to give the Oblivaeon shard as they do lots of damage instances. I don’t like H=3 Oblivaeon as it doesn’t really give enough turns between the Scions and Oblivaeon, but it does make it easier to do combos like Shard+Knight.

Also, interaction I didn’t know before, discarding for Omni-Unity, but putting the card under the Missile Pods, makes the mission not flip.

~A-Kat

Got absolutely trounced in my first game by multiple turns in a row of setting up to make the Effusion flip and then Oblivaeon doing something to prevent it from flipping, and then there were too many Scions and I gave up in frustration.

Second time, I pulled out Requital Captain Cosmic to replace Medico, dropped a construct, and got Effusion to flip on the big guy’s second turn, then sacrificed Mainstay to him on Turn 3. After that, it was off to the races with a boosted Stuntman and Mr. Fixer whaling on everyone with Dual Crowbars and a mecha, and Legacy replacing Cosmic midway through to allow for more damage boosts and card plays. Finished the game with four environments standing and only three heroes lost.

A few highlights/commentary from my game:

If Borr gets chomped by a T-rex in Insula Primalis and there’s no one there to blow up, does he still explode? :thinking: :boom: :t_rex: KRA-KOOOOMM!!! R.I.P. T-rex. :cry:

Later, T-rex gets his revenge (in spirit) when the T-rex Bot bites OblivAeon, flipping him to Phase 3. Dino power!

Red Medico was in violation of the Hippocratic Oath, opting instead to wield the Infinity Cannon! Then, when heroic Faultless and the Virtuosos of the Void were trying to heal the heroes, Medico decided to channel Gloomy to spite a cosmic being who killed his friend Jackson!

Ansel G. Moreau was the Apex of Humanity (N’est-ce Pas?), performing all his own stunts (with some out-of-turn boosts from Paul Parsons VII)! In a decidedly non-canon twist he managed to survive a run-in with Borr, while Mainstay did not. Clawing back from a single digit to full HP was pretty easy with Apex, once Legacy started redirecting all damage to trigger Moving Target.

I just picture OblivAeon throwing a sad party that no one came to when he did destroy the Final Wasteland while no targets were in it.

I must’ve had some luck with shuffles and such. Never had more than two Scions out at once. At some point they both moved into the same zone with all the heroes, and that was Stuntman’s cue to play In Media Res as part of a Dramatic Cliffhanger, finishing both off before they could act!

Managed a mint on this one despite a few slip ups in the game.

Very first turn I replaced the instantly dead Dr Medico with Greatest Legacy. Figured I’d get some good interactions between his power and some of Stuntmans. Plus being able to use Lead from the Front along with 2 x Next Evolutions that make him immune to both Infernal and Energy damage is always useful when fighting against OblivAeon.

I sacrificed Mainstay to get rid of the Shield and replaced him with Team Leader Tacyhon because if I’m going to only fight OblivAeon with 3 heroes, they’re going to be the most OP ones in the game.

After that it was pretty plain sailing, what with all the card draws, power uses and type immunities. Only real issue was a scion card moving Borr into the area where the heroes were right before he blew up. Being immune to Energy damage is all well and good but every hero taking 10 fire damage wasn’t fun.

I decided to go back in one more time, and I actually beat it?

The secret apparently was bringing in SaDmark as… I think my first hero replacement. Maybe my second, I don’t remember. But I got him Apex of Humanity, after which he was completely unstoppable. That was basically it, along with Stuntman going out in a blaze of glory and trapping Borr in Insula Primalis where the volcano took him out and no one else was around to see it. :slight_smile:

If a scion explodes in a volcano and nobody else is nearby, does it make a sound?

3 Likes