Weekly One-Shot #289: Jail House Rock

Not sure if creating a topic for the W1Ses is someone’s specific job; if so, I apologize for the usurpation. I’m assuming this forum works somewhat similar to that of several webcomics, where the community just collectively takes on the responsibility of creating a discussion thread for updates whenever they happen.

Whoof, this one was rough. I don’t think I’ve ever been more impressed with Baron Blade than I was during the turn when he played Old Tricks - New Allies (for the first time; spoiler alert, there’s another one coming later). Just everything devastating that could possibly happen in this game did, most of it during that one turn. I’m also super-frustrated with the fact that every single time I tried to “handle” Plague Rat (meaning to choose targets for one of his hit-everything attacks, such that he deals damage to each hero and to any Environment target they find useful, then kills his last handler, and then deals boosted damage to all the opponents), one more Handler showed up just in time to ruin my efforts. And the combo of Miss Info’s Twisted Reality with Baron Blade’s Impulsion Beam is a nasty one I’ve never seen before.

I haven’t lost a lot of Vengeance-style games since I started paying attention to the music in the video game. Does the villain-victory song that gets played always correspond to the last-in-sequence of the villains? Because this one sounds like it has to have been intentionally written as a Miss Information theme.

1 Like

Heck of a fight!

Mainstay lived up to his name in spades with Leader Of The Pack, Durasteel Studded Vest, and Shard Strength, and with frequent assistance from Writhe’s MkII Shadow Projector.

Blade’s Impulsion Beam was in tight competition with Miss Information for top of my aggro list - after that it was a matter of choosing whichever target was most vulnerable.

The Citizens became Enemy Number One as soon as Bastion was replaced by Wildfire - without the damage reduction and resurrection capabilities provided by that card and Hammer And Shield, they fell pretty quickly.

In the endgame, Lifeline played Cosmic Immolation with 3 hp left to bring down Plague Rat - and got away with it, thanks to Mainstay intercepting damage meant for him, Harpy went full bird-lady and burned her entire hand to take out Citizen Hammer with a Direct Strike, and Lifeline pulled out a Cryptic Alignment to deliver the final blow to the Baron!

Edit: I misremembered a few details near the end - an Immolation-boosted Cryptic Alignment finished off the Rat, but Chrono Ranger’s Compounded Bow delivered the final blow to Blade.

I’m not entirely sure of all the proprieties myself - I started a W1S thread a while back, and wasn’t tarred or feathered, but I tend to hold off now, just because others seem to be more practiced at it. Anyway, welcome!

Each villain contributes a different layer of the theme, depending on where they are in the lineup. You can see Handelabra demoing this with the original Vengeance lineup here.

If you buy the soundtrack, it comes with the individual parts so you can mix and match them.

Good call, Leader of the Pack was really clutch here. :smiley: Just don’t play Durasteel Vest on turn 1, or you’ll lose it!

Finally got to finish this. Mint at 8/18/17/13/18.

Kill order was Impulsion Beam (Thanks, F.I.L.T.E.R. Officer!), Anvil (& Bastion), Miss Info & Anvil again (on the same turn), Hammer (Thanks, Block Guard!), Friction, Rat, Baron.

Things I learned from this game:

I cannot distinguish Harpy from her Dark Watch variant based solely on the headshot in a circle that appears on the cover in the collection screen.

Despite having the nemesis icon on Judge Mental, Void Guard are not the Sentinels. I was still able to boost hero damage.

1 Like

Yeah, and thank god; the very idea that “hero damage cannot be increased” makes my head hurt. Having that effect restricted to one of the most fundamentally broken-OP (but also uniquely vulnerable) hero decks is very much better than having it work on four normal ones.

2 Likes