Weekly One-Shot #349: Spirit Art Online

It’s time for zany hijinks with Wager Master on an island filled with spirits and shifting biomes! What does the blue impish scalawag have in store for the heroes this week?

Don’t have much strategy to offer here other than hope you get lucky like I did and he doesn’t flip Who Are You Fighting? back to face up. I just beat him down to zero by the third round. Trying to get all the heroes’ HP even or run his deck out just takes too much micro-managing IMO. Good luck!

1 Like

Yeah, if you get Who Are You Fighting on his flip side, that’s gonna make this drag.

Luckily, I did not and was able to beat him down with no problem after an abortive attempt to win by the odds. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mint. I had the even health and a thorathian monolith to hide behind but the little imp didn’t flip winning by the odds. He did not flip who are you fighting either so we beat his butt back to the cosmos. We could have had a peaceful ending but he had to ruin it, typical.

1 Like

My luck held out as well - much better than Wager Master’s did!

Migrant P has stated he doesn’t stack the decks for these or anything, so I figured there was a chance Winning To The Odds would work on round 1, or surely on round 2. The odds of both “1 damage to everyone” biomes showing up in a row are pretty good, but I still failed to anticipate it.

Fortunately, plan B usually works, and this wasn’t one of the exceptions. Hiding in the Eternal Timber didn’t work out so good for Increased Stakeser Master; he got off a few cutting remarks at our expense, but the thick skin of a Thorathian Monolith ensured his words couldn’t hurt us much. Scholar Turned Loose, Mainstay dropped a couple Hammers, and the little blue guy walked away with a lot of black spots.

1 Like

Got a win after the third villain turn using Losing to the Odds. Didn’t enjoy it one bit. I find Wager Master to be an unfun experience.

2 Likes

He can be quite a slog, but personally I find it more satisfying to achieve an alt-win condition and beat him at his own game as it were.

I have experienced both the auto-win and auto-loss, before the change was made to achievements if I remember patch notes correctly. That’s how I got both play-no-cards and use-no-powers at once.

2 Likes

IMO the worst thing about WM, other than his name, is the fact that he only has two win conditions in his deck, but can usually also be beaten up like any other villain. I think every “game” he plays should offer a way to win and a way to lose, and winning the whole game requires beating, say, three of his challenges before you lose five of them, or the like. Several Cauldron villains work along these lines.