Weekly One-Shot #363: The Tell-Tale Bomb

Advanced Mad Bomber Blade vs. Freedom Five Legacy, Bunker, Freedom Five Wraith, and Absolute Zero in Megalopolis.

First off, loved the intro. I haven’t read the Tell-Tale Heart in over 30 years and those words all still stuck and the intro hit all the right beats.

Managed a fairly straight forward mint. I think this team has a lot of ways to get it as well. For me, I used Wraith with Clandestine Funding, Infrared Eye Piece and Utility Bely to burst through Legacy’s deck for Lead from the Front and Next Evolution. And even though I got those, it never actually did anything during the first phase. The Eye Piece kept Blade’s deck under control and Wraith and Legacy ended up pulling Take Down, Heroic Interception and 2xThroat Jab to keep Blade under control until the second phase.
Even though the entire board got wiped at the end of the first stage, Wraith got her same combo out, so Legacy and Wraith got Absolute Zero and Bunker set up pretty quickly to do lots of damage and finish Blade off before his Death Ray could get powered up.

3 Likes

Yeah, that intro was fantastic, kudos to whoever wrote it :smiley:

This one I got through with little issue. You get a round of damage respite via Heroic Interception, Smoke Bombs and Legacy being the lowest, which is really nice. The worst part was just him wrecking the setup when he flips.

1 Like

My experience was similar to the other comments here - and I agree, the intro was brilliant!

The fight itself was straightforward, with the Baron’s escalating damage blunted by a Heroic Interception and a couple of Throat Jabs. Mad Bomber Blade loses much of the original’s complexity in favor of pure damage dealing, and while losing all the Ongoings is never very much fun, Blade never mustered enough offense or defense to overcome a really solid team of heroes.

1 Like

I’m not super familiar with this promo, and I underestimated it badly, blowing my chance at a mint. Bunker and AZ both seemed invincible, but the death ray managed to hit the former for just 1 more than he could survive, then Devious Disruption killed the non-armored heroes, and then I miscounted AZ’s hit points and tried to out-heal the beam instead of burning him down before he could fire again. He’s good at tanking, but he wasn’t quite good enough, and again went just a little below 0 HP.

The second time was much improved, though still sloppy. The Baron still managed to take down his old foe, again with DD, but Heroic Interception was in play, so nobody else got hurt. And that was the Baron’s only triumph this time; the only reason I had any other casualties was that I was dunking on him so hard with AZ that I accidentally killed him with Thermal Shockwave. Sometimes I’ll undo a mistake like that, but in this case the story vibe was worth more to me than a better “score” so I took the death and finished him off with Bunker at teenage HP. Unlike in the first game, Wraith didn’t completely empty her hand feeding cards to Bunker, and instead had her kit out and kept the Baron’s damage suppressed while Bunker healed up; I think the biggest Death Ray hit he managed was about 6 damage after Heavy Plating and double Stun, and Bunker could do that all day, especially with Wraith holding two Throat Jabs.

All told, entertainingly surprising, but not remotely difficult.

1 Like

“The ticking of that hideous bomb! Tick! Tick!!! TICK!!!”

1 Like

There was one point where I decided to take the hit rather than lose my setup, but otherwise this was a pretty standard damage race.

Also definitely should’ve won a round earlier than I did, which would’ve resulted in them all ending with more health, but I accidentally shot AZ thinking Bunker was dealing fire damage…

2 Likes