Weekly One-Shot #367 - "Trial By Combat"

My favorite environment in the whole game, featuring easily one of my three favorite villains, with heroes that are mostly not my favorites, but nobody I really dislike either, and no Advanced or Challenge mode to prevent me from having fun. I had a pretty rough day IRL, so this was the treat I needed to improve my mood.

Blew my Mint because I didn’t notice that Haka had been Ashclawed before playing his Rampage, but it was worth it to Undo, because that Rampage and a subsequent Elbow Smash won me the game on Haka’s next turn. For once my reaction to a round 2 Get Back In There was to not get distracted trying to deal with the Gladiators, and just focus on getting Kaargra kayoed (kayaarged?) so that we’d win at 20 favor. A particularly delightful detail: Thorathian Monolith meant no damage to the party from Rampage, but Driving Mantis allowed me to apply whichever redirect I prefer, so one Gladiator ended up taking 7 total damage from Haka and dying; that was favor point number 19, and it didn’t matter that I then elbow smashed S’sdari (my headcanon by the way is that her name evolved in the mouths of various slobbery aliens, from Fashion to Dashun to Darshin to Darri and then to Sh’Dari before finally winding up at S’sdari). I had put Found Wanting on her during the Environment turn, and letting Trial subjects die can be very bad, but in this case the game ended before Found Wanting could play another card.

PS, random thought… not that Kaargra needs to be any more complicated, but it would be kinda neat if all the Gladiators had nemesis symbols for particular heroes. Basically I just wish Haka could have done 9 damage to one particular target with that Rampaging Mantis maneuver. Not sure who in the arena would be nemeses with whom, but the Title cards give us a good starting point, suggesting that Haka’s would be Tryragon-Rex. That tracks with Haka’s early stories where he mostly just fought monsters, as Tryragon could easily have premiered as a random radiation mutant (perhaps around the time Godzilla was popular, if the timeline lines up), and later been retconned as an alien who ran away from Kaargra’s little circus the first time they visited Earth (say maybe around 1883?), and lain low until the Haka fight, which indirectly led to Kaargra making her first return visit to what she previously found to be a very uninteresting little planet.

1 Like

I just barely lost the first attempt, but getting the near mint was really satisfying. Mr. Fixer is a favor-gathering machine!

2 Likes

All of these Heroes are favor gathering machines!

I had a really satisfying ending by having Sky-Scraper punch Kaargra in the face to finish it off.

Interesting thought, but you don’t think they’d have an easier time getting from Shirley to S’sdari? I guess it depends on the species’ vocalizing orifice or “mouth”, as you like to say.

2 Likes

I forgot her Earth-person name… I just remembered the nom de guerre.

This whole game felt like I should be waiting to play my cards at just the right time to gain ALL the favours, but it was enough to simply take out all the gladiators and beat down on Kaarga with whatever was on hand. The environment was a null factor since games in the arena go by too fast for the Celestial Tribunal to set up.

Probably not going to make it back to my desktop to play this one for a Mint unless I can squeeze it in the final hours on Monday. I’m afraid installing Steam on my work laptop to play Sentinels is a dicey proposition. I did however feel the need to point out that the victory screen looks like Kaargra is impaled by the sword that is the Celestial Tribunal ship. Try to unsee that now! :astonished::dagger:

2 Likes

It’s even better if you imagine she really is impaled by a sword of that size (in picture, not in lore), and her reaction amounts to “ow…sonova” rather than “Auuuuuughggggurgle…”.

Well, I got it in time but the sword alignment is somewhat off on a desktop screenshot.

Or one can imagine that the Tribunal is to normal scale and this is the alt-universe Kaargra from Giant World! She just scoffs at “huge” Sky-Scraper from the normal universe.