Weekly one shot #375: The Definition of Insanity

The classic villain in the classic environment - Advanced Baron Blade vs. G.I. Bunker, Rook City Wraith, Eternal Haka, Visionary Unleashed and Redeemer Fanatic in Insula Primalis.

Nothing terribly new here, as is expected. The game didn’t last a full four rounds against this horde of heavy hitters and Baron Blade was extremely ineffective, even on his advanced setting. Enjoy the easy week after last week’s bruiser.

3 Likes

Took two tries. Was one of those games where after the first loss, it was immediately apparent what I should have done, and so I did it. :slight_smile: It was surprisingly fun, at least.

1 Like

My experience was similar; after seeing the heroes fall the first time, I made two crucial decisions that made the rest of the game a cakewalk.

1 Like

Wow, nice HP totals there for a Mint, OP!

I got Mint as well, but with low single digits for everyone. 12 in BB’s trash before the flip, then just left two Obsidian Fields in play so his DR didn’t really matter. It hurt really bad when two Hasten Dooms and a Devious Disruption struck in one turn, but I won the damage race with no one going down.

1 Like

Expected an easy win and did eventually get it, although I miscalculated slightly on my first try and fell just barely short of the expected Mint (I know, him being at 11 doesn’t seem like a narrow loss, but that’s because when I realized I couldn’t kill him in time, I stopped bothering to try). This party includes a lot of fun heroes, but every single one of them with the debatable exception of Wraith opened on a severely suboptimal hand, and he came out the gate with the dreaded double Mobile Defense Platform, so it’s not surprising that I struggled a bit…still, only sheer carelessness on my part actually caused me to miss the mark, as I was sure that I had another full round in which to utterly devastate him. I’m not sure how he crossed 15 cards without my noticing, but such little surprises keep this classic Core Set scenario from getting too old, as Handelabra obviously makes an effort to repeat the original 16 v/e combos with fair regularity (as well they should, for the benefit of players who’ve yet to buy the expansions).

As an aside, I’ve always hated the canard this Weekly is named after; trying something multiple times to see different outcomes is literally the scientific method in a nutshell, and thus rather the opposite of insane. Even if the universe is deterministic and a person could literally flip a coin twice at the exact same angle with the exact same force, the outcome might be different due to minute air currents and similar such variables. I will admit that the title is fitting for a mad scientist, but I still consider it to be as absurdly untrue and damaging as whatever folksy wisdom an 1830s Georgia plantation owner might have had about how to best prevent your slaves from causing trouble. Just because a saying is clever and catchy doesn’t mean it’s true; Facebook and similar things seem to be causing people to forget this truth.

Scientific method doesn’t fit with the saying at all… because the saying is “doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results”. If you’re doing that with science, it’s bad science.

Anyways, here’s my Mint:

Haka got the perfect hand for taking out the double MDP and hitting Baron Blade for extra measure!

Semantics. A scientist is allowed to make a prediction of what he thinks the outcome will be, as long as he never ignores data contrary to that preconception. It’s human nature to anticipate, so the idea that you shouldn’t expect the most probable outcome is nonsense. You simply shouldn’t be too surprised when it turns out differently from what you thought it would do.