Weekly one shot #376: A Rook and a Hard Place

Deadline is threatening Rook City (and the earth). La Comodora leads the charge to stop him – but not destroy him – with the help of XPW Fanatic, Parse, The Visionary, and DW Nightmist. Not advanced, not challenge, should be a piece of cake, right? Right?

Well, as you can see, I squeaked out a win the first time, but it was close:

Nightmist was much lower at various points, but Starshield Necklace and Master of Magic brought her back up. La Comodora gave her extra plays, and Parse gave her extra draws, but the real clutch here was Fanatic redirecting all hero damage to Deadline. Oblivion or other spells that hurt Nightmist suddenly become very attractive, and Elder Ring makes them even better. Having Visionary still up helped pile on more damage, especially with a Decoy in play. Close call!

As you can see, the replay went much better (though I was tempted to let Fanatic fall…)

Lots of shuffling means things will work out differently for people, but these were the keys for me:

Summary
  1. Deadline’s Unnatural Disaster will wreck you. Get Parse’s Buffer Overflows into play.

2. Ongoing destruction is crucial to remove catastrophes. Visionary’s Mental Divergence, Parse’s Segmentation Fault and/or Data-Mining, La Comodora’s Take Time, and Nightmist’s Planar Banishment are your friends (Fanatic never saw Consecrated Ground in my 3 plays).

3. How do you clear out so many ongoings in one round? Temporal Rigging to give Visionary and/or Parse more powers.

4. Timeless Treasure for more card draw for La Comodora, Nightmist, and (usually) Parse.

5. My third time through, things got really fun: Nightmist plays Mistbound to shut Deadline down, La Comodora uses her power to put Mistbound back in Nightmist’s deck, and 2x Timeless Treasure lets her draw it again and play it every round. Deadline is completely shut down, leaving the environment to be the only potential problem. Final hit points 13, 8, 13, 13, 9.

This is how you hide them

I just let Deadline take care of his Catastrophes the first time, saving Buffer Overflow for when I was already set up (and it helped me avoid an Unnatural Disaster).

(It’s “Hide Details” under the gear)

What was really nice is, La Comodora’s base power helped Fanatic use Wrathful Retribution twice!

1 Like

Thank you for the reminder on how to hide spoilers. Hopefully my edit worked.

I also never saw Wrathful Retribution in 3 plays.

This game was the most respect I’ve ever given Deadline. The first two brutal turns were enough to make me sit up and pay attention to what is normally a fairly straightforward match. Kudos to the games maker this week!

At first, the game was out of control, but after taking a quick break in the action, Deadline had few tricks left up his sleeve. Everyone on the team was stacking up ongoing destruction, deck control and card draws. Even without Fanatic’s huge damage output, which Xtreme Fanatic can manage even without Wrathful Retribution, Deadline’s very scary start was quickly brought to bear.

It’s never easy when you’re in Rook City. I wish I could be fighting this one with you guys.

Took me 3 tries. And on the third, I did see Wrathful Retribution! It helped quite a lot!

Second try for me - man, what an opening salvo!

Never did see a Wrathful Retribution - but did shut down Deadline’s deck for a while, using La Comodora’s and Visionary’s base powers to recycle Mistbound several rounds in a row…alas, nothing lasts forever, and Nightmist had to take a more active role eventually, taking advantage of Fanatic’s incap ability to rain damage down on Deadline. I would have enjoyed getting a Wrest The Mind in play to further abuse the situation, but couldn’t get the stars to align right.

1 Like