Weekly one shot #377: Left to His Own Devices

This week is another Ultimate matchup of Ambuscade vs. Luminary, Super Scientific Tachyon, Omnitron-X, Rogue Agent K.N.Y.F.E., and Freedom Five Bunker fighting in the Omnitron-IV facility! As suggested by the title, lots of Devices here from many sources. I recommend fishing for All According to Plan as soon as you can, even though it’ll make thing hurt worse for the heroes. Luminary can probably cycle through his deck a couple times with all the deck manipulation powers here. I got off a Death Ray shot for 24, and had a horde of boosted Devices that could slash and burn right through the 1 DR on Ambuscade’s front side. I think it ended by about the 3rd, maybe 4th round.

1 Like

I have yet to beat this one - the first time around I was poised for a devastating hero round, when Ambuscade went totally nuclear - by the time his play and all the triggered global damage finally resolved, all the heroes were down and even his own devices were in the negative teens!

I have a feeling this one might be pseudo-random, considering all the shuffling Ambuscade does.

I was able to Mint, but it took a little extra effort because I wasn’t paying close attention to Luminary’s deck and he reshuffled before I could do a laser. D: Easy to get him back into lasering range, but still.

1 Like

This should have happened a round before, but Ambuscade is a little snot.

2 Likes

Yeah, the trick with Ultimate Ambuscade is that you never really know if one of his turns is going to be “play a gun that deals 2 damage” or if it’s going to be “hit everything on the board for 10-15 damage, play seven devices that will hit you all for another 5-10 damage, heal 10 HP and turn invisible.”

I lost my first round, with two times that it could have changed. I had fifty damage queued up, blew up his invisibility suit, and he promptly played Armed and Dangerous, shuffled his deck, detonated a trap in my face and then played Vanish to go invisible again.

Then I managed to get him visible, hit him for 40 damage (he’d destroyed too much of Luminary’s stuff in the mean time), and then he chained enough damage to take everyone on the team from 6-10 HP down to 0 in one round.

1 Like

Finally, thanks to huge hits from Luminary and Bunker, with the other heroes mostly plinking and feeding Luminary’s discard pile.

Now that Ambuscade is making a repeat appearance this week, I can finally get around to putting my experiences in here.

I waited just one turn too long charging up the Orbital Death-Laser to take out Ambuscade. And then he brought out the armageddon inducing Charged Attacks and blew up everything in a 12 block radius. When the dust settled, Ambuscade had knocked himself down to 4 health but still limped away the victor.

Still had Charged Attacks hit pretty hard in this one, but there were survivors afterward and after two shots from the Orbital Death-Laser, Ambuscade finally went down.

Not sure if I’m looking forward to redemption this week or dreading an even meaner version of our not-so-favourite French hunter.