Weekly one shot #379: Birds of a Feather

Challenge Apostate faces off against classic Dark Watch- Harpy, Nightmist, Setback, Expatriette and Mr. Fixer - in the Pike Industrial Complex.

After heroes falling left, right and center the last few weeks, good to see that justice, truth and the Dark Watch way come out on top in this straightforward bash. The two mystical mavens were fairly low key this outing as the rest of the team showed there’s nothing that can’t be handled with a little luck, a shotgun and the liberal application of a crowbar.

2 Likes

I really appreciated that everyone basically starts out with the right kit to get going immediately. The environment didn’t put up much of a fight, and if you grab Alternating Tiger Claw early, Apostate doesn’t either.

I didn’t even notice it wasn’t standard Apostate.

But the best thing about this was the intro writeup Handelabra put together. Matthew. What trolls! :laughing:

2 Likes

Challenge Apostate only slows you down at the start, and as you said, everyone is set up quite well so missing out on a few card draws doesn’t hurt at all. I appreciated that Setback pulled his weight for once. There’s never a game where I think “I’m so glad Setback is on the team”, but in this case, he at least kept up with the other heroes.

I did not get the reference though - what was it?

Oh, this whole setup is all about the Letters Page episode for a romance the fans hated.

To build on what Trajector said, a few weeks ago there was a Letters Page about a romantic storyline that the fans hated.

The storyline that got built was Harpy/Apostate, which managed to:

• Piss off a lot of metaverse fans because of their wildly inappropriate ages
  • Piss off a lot of metaverse fans because they didn’t want an Apostate redemption arc
  • Piss off a lot of metaverse fans because the arc just. kept. going.
  • Piss off those fans that were interested in the romance because it just utterly and pointlessly collapsed at the end, retconning all of Apostate’s character development.

It was an absolute masterwork.

A key section of the storyline was Apostate/Matthew using his silver tongue to bring Dark Watch back together when they were on the verge of falling apart, which ended up making no sense retroactively.

2 Likes

Well, it looked bad at the start until I gave up drawing cards.

Setback came in for an art appropriate finish with exactly 7 tokens! :slot_machine: :fist_right: :boom:

1 Like

A narrow victory, but Mister Fixer’s irreducible damage helped keep the relic count down while everyone else beat on Apostate - in the end it was Expatriette, in the industrial plant, with a shotgun to end the fight.

1 Like