We've Got A Week To Guess The Romance In #239

Place your bets, folks! How zany is this going to get?

I’ve got one guess with three sub-guesses: Aminia Twain, pre-Miss Information, dating a supervillain! But which one?

A) Fright Train! He asked her out because he thought her name was Aminia Train. They date for a while, and then the writers take advantage of Vengeance to break them up.

B) Cueball!! They start dating in the Guise book when he tries to rob the Freedom Five HQ, and they hit it off. The main FF writers hate this and ignore it, but the Guise book keeps mentioning it. Years later, there’s a book where Cueball refuses to do a job with Miss Information because he misses the old Aminia.

C) Biomancer!!! The nefarious villain disguises himself to date Aminia as part of a sneaky plan, but is surprised to fall for her and monologue about it. A later writer retcons this Biomancer to be a fleshchild that only thought it was in love with Aminia, as part of a complex scheme.

3 Likes

My primary guesses would involve any long standing romance for Haka, Scholar, or Mr Fixer (not Black Fist days)

3 Likes

Blake Washington, Jr. falls in love with [Well-established supporting cast member], which has a chain reaction of Ra “toning down” so as to not keep Blake away too long/not cause so much collateral damage, thus making the Ra stories “less fun” for readers, wanting them to break up to bring Ra back to normal.

5 Likes

Also, just realized I was thinking of things that could have happened in the Multiverse time, and overlooking stuff that could happen post-Oblivæon. Rockstar has a fling with a member of Hellfyre. Time-Slinger and Alpha have a Beauty and the Beast meet-cute that just doesn’t work for fans. Arataki + Annubis, two essentially immortals trying to find comfort in each other…

3 Likes

This seems very unlikely, but my guess would be Tachyon and some guy. A homophobic writer somehow gets ahold of the Freedom Five book, and has Tachyon have relationship drama with Dana while also introducing this new potential guy love interest for her.

3 Likes

Personally, I’m now hoping that Time-Slinger and Alpha actually becomes a thing, because the more I think about it, the better it gets. Monster Hunter and the Monster. Beauty and the Beast. Old Fashioned Charmer and Modern Hep Boss Babe. It works.

1 Like

I actually really like the idea of Chrono and Alpha, bad romance or not. :smiley: Clearly, we have only just begun to ship Alpha!

1 Like

Haka had to become a werewolf somehow

3 Likes

Counter to that. Blake Washington finds love… during the time that Ra and Fanatic were a thing.

Either that or he tries to take Fanatic on a non-Ra, non-“frenemies with benefits” date…

2 Likes

I’m unsure whether fans would actually like this or not. On one hand, it could be cute, but on the other she’s a timeless entity older than civilization. Could be upsetting, depending on who they try to have her fall in love with… Naturalist, for example, would be weird.

5 Likes

And this writer wouldn’t necessarily have to be homophobic, they might sincerely believe Meredith Stinson is and has always been bisexual.

I’m going to up you one further, if this was real life comics there would almost certainly be a period where some writer tried to make AZ and Tachyon’s friendship into a romantic thing, either as an ill-fated mainline storyline or more likely in a Disparation story.

I don’t really think C&A would do this even as kayfabe because it’d hit their ick meter too much, but it’s the sort of thing IRL writers would do.

5 Likes

Maybe I’m missing something, why would that be icky, and how is it related to kayfabe?

One, what Fjur noted. As while I can see where you’re coming from with the bisexual thing, I can practically guarantee no writer would ever do it for that reason versus the more bigoted one. (Plus as an RL bi person I wouldn’t want it done for that reason either.)

Two, C&A have made quite a few comments that indicate AZ & Tachyon’s friendship is an aspect of the lore they’re especially fond/proud of.

As for “kayfabe”, I’m just indifferent to wrestling myself, but I’ve heard the wrestling fans in the fandom use the term to refer to how C&A handle their “Sentinel Comics is a real company with real comics” shtick and it’s more fitting than any equally snappy term I could come up with so I borrowed it.

2 Likes

So, Akash’Thriya is the Tin Man? ; )

well, there is a known Dispiration where Akash’Thriya looks more human (but with 4 eyes) and is romantic with Naturalist. But that apparently was not the main story, so my guess is that the lead characters call for reinforcements and naturalist shows up and he is dating Akash, as you all know.