Worst OblivAeon Casualties – A Poll

Hello. I thought I’d make a poll to see which Hero casualty in the OblivAeon Event this community thinks is the most tragic, and who will be missed the most. Here’s that poll:

Worst OblivAeon Event Casualty Poll
  • Nightmist
  • Ra
  • The Scholar
  • Daniel Montgomery
  • Ansel G. Moreau’s gorgeous face

0 voters

2 Likes

I must protest that Daniel Montgomery is not on this list. >_>

1 Like

Okay, Jeysie, I edited the poll so that Mr. Montgomery is now an option. But, because of that, the one person who already voted must now revote, for the editing of the poll erased that vote.

1 Like

It’s right there in the question. Faye Diamond will be Mist the most.

5 Likes

Ra and arguably Scholar are definitely tragedies, but both they and Nightmist (who isn’t actually dead, after all) all amounted to very meaningful sacrifices which were appropriate conclusions for their character arcs, so they’re not THAT sad IMO.

On the other hand, while I had to think for a second who Daniel Montgomery even was, once I remembered, he was definitely the most poignant of these scenarios: a wealth but otherwise totally normal person who attacked an eldritch abomination with his bare hands, absolutely knowing he was going to die, just so that his superhero daughter could escape to safety and continue the good fight. If I watched that scene in a movie with appropriate music underneath, I’d be incredibly moved. Fathers laying down their life to protect their children must never be taken for granted as “just the way it is”; their noble selflessness must be honored.

I’m glad that somebody voted for Ansel though. We needed to lighten this very grim subject up a little bit.

EDIT: I suppose if we specifically frame the question as “who will you miss” rather than “which is the most tragic”, my answer changes to Ra. Daniel’s story is nice, but if he came back from the dead, we would probably stop caring about him. The superheroes could all have new stories, though, and of the three, Ra’s status as a core set hero probably makes him the one we’d get the most mileage out of. Plus he’s had the most character growth, and it’d be fitting to the cyclical nature of a sun god for him to rise again.

1 Like

Yeah, that was my thought on asking to add Daniel, because it was framed as “most tragic”. Superheroes go into their heroing knowing there’s a good chance they’re going to die at any given point in time. But Daniel was a good father who helped make Wraith the badass she is, and also a businessman who nobody would have blamed in the slightest for just cutting and running. Instead he chose to stand up to an eldritch being (Nyxious might be a joke to us but it would be pretty damn scary to a bog-standard civilian) with just a baseball bat.

I agree that if the question was simply “who will be missed the most”, I’d say Scholar for my own pick. His mentoring would be so important to the upcoming heroes at the Academy and many existing heroes left out of sorts after OblivAeon.

1 Like

Guess no one cares about La Comodora? :pirate_flag::cry: She’s as “dead” as Nightmist, and had arguably as big a role in the victory.

I would have to agree the Wraith’s dad is the saddest, because he never signed up for this. Ra knew as a superhero that he was always in peril, but probably had the hubris to believe the true Sun God would always come out on top. His sacrifice, along with the Ennead and Anubis, was maybe the first thing that gave the heroes hope - “If it bleeds, we can kill it!”

Does anyone besides Guise even know the Scholar is gone? That part seemed like lead-up since it happened off-world. It did give the Sentinel Comics Universe perhaps the most powerful (and terrifying) entity since OblivAeon. If Philosopher-Stone-Imbued Guise ever went rogue like his InversiVerse counterpart, that’s probably just GG for everything!

3 Likes

I purposely left La Comodora and Haka out. They’re not dead, they’re just not in Universe 1, and they can both be rescued and reunited with everyone when the Sandwich Bag is breached. Their physical forms were not destroyed like Nightmist’s and the others’ were.

2 Likes

I do feel bad for Dr. Blake Washington though, its its kind of iffy how much of this he signed up for… there will eventually be another Ra if we can go by the Vertex line, so it kind feels like Blake Washington got the short end of the stick here.

4 Likes

Well, there’s still the fact that Ammit has the intertwined souls of Dr. Blake Washington Jr. and Ra . . .

These are two separate questions!

But I think the answer to both – even though he did not die – is Aata.

1 Like

Bloogo!

3 Likes

Sorry, MigrantP, I’ve already edited the poll once!

1 Like

Please, Bloogo has probably had thousands of years already for all we know. His last word might well have actually been him communicating “at last, I shall know the sweet release of oblivion, as have my brothers and sisters before me”. Let an endling rest, will ya?

He he. : )

1 Like

A week has passed. Here are the results so far!

The Scholar: 5 votes
Daniel Montgomery: 5 votes
Ansel G. Moreau’s gorgeous face: 4 votes
Nightmist: 3 votes
Ra: 1 vote

These are some interesting results . . . Daniel Montgomery is surprisingly tied for first place. Stuntman’s face is apparently more missed and its loss more tragic than Nightmist and Ra. I would’ve thought Nightmist would have gotten more votes.

I didn’t vote, because I couldn’t decide betwixt The Scholar and Ra. I barely even know Daniel Montgomery as a character. His last moments were poignant, but I’m not going to really miss a character who’s only in two stories I know of. Ansel G. Moreau’s still alive, and he should be thankful for that.

But who could feel gratitude at life with a face like that? D:

1 Like

As an actor, he should have more of an appreciation for the drama inherent in his tragic disfigurement. Just imagine him starring as The Man In The Iron Mask or something of that ilk…

1 Like

I admit I voted out of silliness because the one I really would have picked wasn’t an option.

Care to elaborate?