A Hero's Guide to Guise or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

I'm afraid I don't see what you say

how you're healing that much in this way

1 per target I think

is not such a large sink

that I'd rate it much more than 'okay'

Think I can shed some light, in that regard:
I think kreistor 'target' misread as 'card'.

I'll grant you Gimmicky Character is certainly not as situational as  X-treeeeeeeeame!!!! or Lemme See That... can be but often the healing is one or two points, because targets have to be discarded, whereas benefits for those other cards is often better.   Gimmicky Character can be setup to help mill a card from a villain deck but that deems it situational as well.   

Guise loves situational cards though, because he needs a big hand to buffer Kawaii and for discards.  Extreme is situational, but when redirection and reduction are on the table it is awesome.  Throwing down a big damage round on the villain while Immutus sits wondering what is going on is awesome.

Guise is more interested in being Awesome than good.

You are right, I overlooked "target" in Gimmicky Character. I have edited the original post to ensure others realize I have acknowledged the mistake, while leaving the paragraph in place to ensure the context of later discussion is retained.

Since only a few heores have targets in their decks, and Guise is not one of them, it is definitely a bad heal, but it allows a second card play which does retain some merit. It will probably wind up being Blatant Reference fodder for me now.

Gimmicky Character is Selling Out fodder. It lets you use the strongest Selling Out combo, which is to play 3 one shots, some of which allow you to play Ongoings.

Lemme See That is pretty sick with Grease Gun.

Finally bothered, and made it happen. 84 damage in one round, with 4 Heroes.

TL Tachyon was first in Turn Order. Nothing important for the combo, but the card draw explains much of why i was able to set this up.

Wraith had MTC in play.

Legacy had IP, SoS, and had Galvanized.

Guise dropped GtB and Tough Choices to Sell Out, then dealt 5 damage to something that needed to die first.

Environment was Time Cataclysm, which played something irrelevant. Guise discarded an ongoing and dropped SUK, BR, and Lemme See That to grab the MTC.

Skinwalker Gloomweaver began Turn with 48 HP remaining. Cultist played. An irrelevant Relic already in play.

Tachyon was all set up. Destroyed the environment, and threw 3 Barrages to flip Gloomweaver.

SUK allowed Guise to play Uh, Yeah, I'm that Guy (Legacy) and BR discarded to deal 1+2+2+(1+1)+(1+1) = 9 damage.

Wraith used non-combat.

Guise dropped 2 BCE (8 damage each) and a Say Cheese for 7, then dicard for another 9. You should get the point, since I have 46 damage so far, and two more Hero Turns to go before the Ongoings drop, and I just drew 4 more cards. If there had been 5 heroes instead of 4, i would have had 1 more turn to play and discard, Guise would have easily beat 100 damage, and I did have the cards remaining for that. In fact, I had new copies of BR, SUK and SO already back in hand for a second run at it, but with lowre damage due to not having everything back yet.

Umm, Kreistor...I don't suppose you could start referring to various cards and stuff by their full names (or at least a single word or something) rather than a bunch of initialisms? I find your posts really hard to understand because I have to try and work out what you're talking about most of the time. There are a few initialisms that most of us use a lot (such as DDA, TLT, EPE), but you seem to be using it on pretty much everything and I haven't learnt every single deck (particularly the newest ones) well enough to instantly know what everything is so reading one of your posts is like trying to translate something where I don't fully know what it is I'm translating from.

I have a feeling I may not be the only person to feel that way...

Yeah it's easy to get into using abbreviations or initials for cards but it makes for a rough post to read if you aren't familiar with the deck.   Really the initials for Super Ultra Kawaii!! probably shouldn't be used for a very helpful card.  

"I'm about to SUK!!!!" Is the most feared battle cry in the multiverse.

Guise likes to sit around doing little pings of damage whilst everyone else busts out their best cards trying to defeat the villain, then suddenly he deals 20-100 damage in a single round whilst everyone else goes "What the hell just happened?!"

First of all, kreistor: wow. Cool.

So, I work in a particularly acronym-heavy field, and my general conclusion is this:

There are two kinds of jargon, including acronyms. The first kind adds meaning and understanding. Essentially, that kind names things for which we don’t yet have names. This is good. However, the other kind of jargon exists to exclude people who aren’t “in the know.”

My opinion is that we should always try to limit jargon to the first kind. The personal rule I use to do this is that I only use acronyms that a layperson would recognize as a “word.” For example, “TV,” “laser,” and “NASA” are all okay. But everything else, I write out.

I’m also that pain in the neck guy who, in technical meetings, demands that acronyms be defined the first time I see them. Or I make up the most ridiculous meaning I can to fit the letters.

kreistor, you’re clearly a well-spoken individual who doesn’t shy away from writing. I doubt the abbreviations save you much time. Please consider how they come across to other readers of your posts in the future when they occur in such density. Even when I do have the cards memorized, it’s tough for me to understand what you mean.

Except the numbers. That was a LOT of damage!

My general policy on the forums (and elsewhere to, but so far it has mainly come up on the forums) is to spell out the name the first time I use it, and then use acronyms afterwards.  Even then, I generally only use acronyms when they're commonly used (e.g. TtE for Twist the Ether) or a particularly long name (UYITG for Uh, Yeah I'm that Guy (which isn't so much long as full of annoying punctuation)) that I'm repeating a lot.  That way, even a reader unfamiliar with the card names has a reasonable chance of figuring out what the acronyms are referring to from context.

Also, it's worth noting that there is a third reason for using acronyms.  Several of my limericks would not scan nearly as well if I hadn't used AZ for Absolute Zero.

All of Guise's card names are higher up in this thread, already spelled in full with decent enough descriptions. You only need to scroll back further than the top of my post. This was my second post about that particular combo. I didn't think it necessary to spell out Micro Targetting Computer, since Wraith is an original deck, and in the video game, so you don't even have to bust out your cards.

If you don't know the cards yet, then it really doesn't matter if I use acronyms or spell it out, sicne you're going to be getting out the deck to look up details anyway.

And I think I'm going to correct myself. Guise going first and being careful in his order of play of Ongoings can actually increase the damage, but you need two additional cards in hand.

Guise Turn: Guise plays Super Ultra Kawaii (SUK) and uses Tough Choices to play Guise the Barbarian (GtB) and deals 1 (+2+2 =5). SUK allows him to play Blatant Reference (BR) and BR discards one to deal another 5.

Hero 2: SUK allows Guise to play Lemme See That to act like Yngwie and steal Wraith's Micro Targetting Computer, BR discards to deal 7.

Hero 3: SUK allows Guise to play I'm that Guy and high five Legacy's player (which is schizophrenic when you're playing Guise and Legacy in a two player game), BR discards to deal 9.

Hero 4: SUK allows Guise to play Selling Out (SO), and BR discards to deal 9.

On environment turn, SO allows 3 One-shots to be played, with the prerequisite "Woo!!!"s and watching Frost sweat to death. The One-shots are exactly equivalent in each case, since both situations have 3 played after all the buffs are out. The difference is one additional use of BR. There is one additional instance of a discard on Guise's Turn, but it is weaker due to fewer buffs. It results in 2 discards dealing 12 damage, instead of 1 dealing 9 (all mine were for 9). The Tough Choices damage was identical with BtR only.

I'm inclined to leave Guise last, anyway. Others make more sense for deck manipulation up front (specifically Wraith's Infrared Eyepiece to guide Legacy's Next Evolution), and first Turn card draw (Team Leader Tachyon).

Umm, actually, not being familiar with a deck doesn't mean I don't know what any of the cards do. It just means I don't instantly know which card you're talking about when you use an initialism. I know what most of Guise's cards do, I just can't instantly remember their names off the top of my head. If you must shorten the names, perhaps just shorten them to a single word or something instead, like Kawaii or Barbarian - then you still got to type less things but the rest of us have a much greater chance of not requiring a translation ;).

Yeah, I know what a lot of cards do but I don't recognize a lot of acronyms.

It's an acronym if the letters spell out a "word" (like NASA or NATO), otherwise its an initialism (where it's just a cluster of letters you have to say separately, like WWF or RSPCA) ;).

So what cards can be Acronyms?  BWYN, EoD, ZO, I'm going to start pronouncing them now.

Whatever we call them, they are equally terrible and obfuscating.

I only used acronyms for cards already mentioned in this thread, or for decks in the original set and video game that everyone should recognize. I also identified which acronyms associated with which Hero Decks, making it easy to track them down if you don't know them. I gave the necessary context anyone needed to find the information they needed quickly and easily. "Legacy had IP and SOS." So where do you look for IP and SOS? Not rocket science.