Definitive Edition Clarifications

It was only a matter of time, wasn’t it? :wink:

1. After redirecting damage to a different target with an ability that deals damage to multiple targets, can you send the next instance of damage at the first target? (Known answer for EE, but it’s left unaddressed in the DE rules so I figure I’ll ask anew.)
  2. Are Reactions limited to one reaction ability per instance of damage? Or can one instance of damage trigger multiple reactions?
  3. Mad Bomber Blade’s setup specifically says to shuffle the environment deck until no villain cards are on top. Is it implied that you also do this when he puts a new card in the environment?

No, but to use another reaction requires the target would still be dealt damage after the first reaction was used.

Only during setup.

1 Like

Depends upon the wording. Like Throwing Knives I’d say you could hit the same target that damage redirected to. For Scherzo of Frost and Flame which specifies a different target you can’t.

1 Like

Thanks, Powerhound!

For the redirection, I was thinking more about Moonfall Baron Blade. If I use the Throwing Knives on him and he spawns a Minion to redirect the first damage to, can I target him again for the second hit?

No. You could target the minion though.

1 Like

My big DE question, which I’ve already sent into the podcast:
If cards that are no longer in play have no ongoing effects, then what about a card that says destroy X then do Y, if it targets itself (example: Omnitron’s disintegration beam). Do both things happen at once, or does the destruction stop the second effect?

If you destroy Disintegration Ray as part of its text then you don’t play a card. As it’s no longer in play for If you do text.

1 Like

I haven’t played a lot yet to come up with questions, but there is one thing I think is right, but that if I was playing EE would be wrong.

When you are taking damage from multiple sources a turn, and you have a reaction, can you choose which damage to react to? I think the answer is yes, so that you could ignore the first source, and react to the second source to be more effective. But it feels wrong, since in EE when a card had the potential to be triggered, you had to use it the first time or you couldn’t use it that turn at all.

More specifically, on Bunker’s Emergency shielding, it is only destroyed it the source that activates it still deals damage with the -2, correct? Not if you take further damage that turn. I’m thinking of something like Blade playing a card that deals damage, then dealing damage again at the end of his turn.

You get to choose when to use the reaction on a turn but only once that turn. So you can decide whether the first or last attack against your hero is the one you use the reaction on.

2 Likes

You changing “first or second” to “first or last” I think is confusing me.

You can react to any source of damage on your turn, but you can only react once per turn. Correct? So if I am being hit by three citizens of the sun, I could choose to react to A, B or C, but I can only react once.

Sorry If I’m repeating what you said, but I’m just tired enough that I want to confirm.

If you are going to take damage from A, B, and C you can choose to use the reaction against any one of them but only one of them. So if your hero has only one reaction in their play area and chose B to use your reaction against then your hero took the damage from A and doesn’t have any reactions left to use against C.

3 Likes

Got it, that’s how I thought it worked, but it is very different from how EE worked and it was a bit of an awkward transition for me

1 Like

Sure – makes sense. We didn’t have reactions in EE. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Played just my second game of DE tonight, trying to teach it to others. For Bunker, when he’s loading Ordnance he puts the top card of his deck face down below the armament, correct? I assume so because otherwise it would be “reveal top card” and place under.

Likewise, once you destroy cards this way you choose the order, yes? That means you pick the way they stack in the trash, at which point you can see them face up. Hope I’m not overthinking this.

2 Likes

In the FAQ section of the rulebook, it says you may look at cards underneath other cards at any time. So when Bunker puts the top card of his deck under an ordinance, you can see what card it is, and when you destroy them, you can pick which ones to destroy.

This helps if you’re playing 1st Appearance Bunker, since he can Salvage item cards with his base power. If any wound up getting used as ammo, he can get them back.

2 Likes

It doesn’t really matter what order they go into your trash. At least so far, there’s nothing that affects, say, the top card of your trash, if I’m not mistaken. Salvaging can happen from anywhere, and if you shuffle your trash into your deck, well, it’s shuffled. Point is, don’t overthink it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder! I’m so used to the app, I think I may be getting “underneath a card” (La Capitan) crossed with “face down in a play area” (Wager Master, Santa Guise, Chokepoint). I can’t exactly recall what the circumstances have been when I could only view card backs. Sounds like Definitive Edition has cleared this up!

That was my thought for the core set as well. Not that I’ve played through everything yet. I guess I was thinking of something like the Resource Recycler in Omnitron IV that would put equipment or a device back in play from the top of trash. We’ll see if that remains when we get there!

2 Likes

Iirc, the DE rulebook specifically says not to change the order of cards in the trash, right? So while I believe you are right for the moment, they were clearly thinking of something…

1 Like

Omnitron’s Disintigration Ray affects the top card of your trash for its Fabricate effect!

“… If a card is destroyed this way, bury the top card of each Hero trash.”

So yeah, order of your trash does matter.

4 Likes

We have our answer! :smiley: So in one villain fight, you might want to think about what’s on top of your trash and thus vulnerable, otherwise, don’t let the analysis paralysis get to you.

2 Likes