Definitive Edition Clarifications

Welcome @skywhale!

And, huh. I wonder why that is an effect on the Disintegration Ray. Right now, all I can think of that effect achieves is slightly depower one Tachyon card.

2 Likes

It affects your ability to Salvage at least. Y’know, because the thing was disintegrated?

2 Likes

Hello!

Like @WalkingTarget pointed out, it affects Salvage, but it honestly still seems helpful in most instances. Maybe I’ve been playing Tempest too much, but Collect and Discover seem to be more common than Salvage. But it also rarely activates (maybe 2 or 3 times a game if you’re doing well?), so I think it’s more of just some cool flavor.

Oh, yeah. The interaction with Salvage is present, but the Disintegration theme is likely the real reason for it.

2 Likes

I’m still working out how exactly Reactions work. Do they react before the damage is done? ie. how that EE Mainstay card works? If it’s “do damage to something”, can you kill the think trying to attack you such that you don’t take the damage? Or play a card that reacts before you’re even hit by the damage (if that’s your reaction) and destroy the attacker before it hits you? Or must you take the damage first before reacting?

1 Like

Reactions happen before the damage is done. You can take out the attacker, or make it so they cannot deal damage, and then you wouldn’t actually take that damage.

There is debate on whether you can react if you won’t be taking damage, however…

But all may be revealed in the Letters Page tomorrow!

Edit: “Taking damage” isn’t the correct phrasing, you’re technically being “dealt damage”. But the debate is whether you can react if that dealt damage wouldn’t end up “reaching” you. As in, if modifiers would prevent it before you do anything.

1 Like

Seeing as rules questions are unlikely to be answered on the podcast (Who can blame them? That makes for terrible radio), I wonder if our best and most efficient route is to collect all the questions we want answered, and presenting them to Christopher all at once (if possible). If we were to do that, what questions should be asked? I’ll start:

1. When does “would be dealt” take effect? Is that considered before or after modifiers and immunity are applied to the damage?
  2. Can we get a clarification on how effect happen within a particular phase? Is it correct to interpret them as first Static effects (effects that are written on a card without the possibility of ignoring them), then Normal effects (what the phase normally allows you to do), and finally Optional effects (effects that you get to choose whether or not to do)?
  3. On cards that allow you the option of choosing one thing or another, do you have to be capable of doing that thing in order to choose that option? Or can you choose to attempt something even though nothing will come of it?
  4. What is the full definition of a “Hero” in the game? Does this differ from a “Hero character”. And if so, how?
  5. Are “and” effects sequential, like they were in Enhanced Edition? Or can they be done in any order? (i.e. “play a card and draw a card”)

What other questions are there that need answering/clarification? And do any of the playtesters have a way of getting these questions to Christopher in a way that will be beneficial to everyone? Or is anyone “authorized” to speak on his behalf about them? Don’t want to waste anyone’s time here, but I think a lot of us would sleep better if we got some answers.

March, 10, 2022 - Added Question 4.
April, 4, 2022 - Added Question 5.

Either that, or some kind of official FAQ on the site.

I’ll add in:
-If a card destroys itself and has another action written, does the other action come before, after, or at the same time as the destruction?

I’ll add in:
-If a card destroys itself and has another action written, does the other action come before, after, or at the same time as the destruction?

This is a good question, but is already answered in the rule book under the Destroy term:

Destroy: A destroyed card goes to the trash of that card’s deck, unless something in play says otherwise. When a card is destroyed, resolve any effects in play that occur when the card is destroyed, remove any tokens on or placed by the card, and place the destroyed card in the trash associated with its deck. When a target is at 0 HP, it is destroyed.

So it happens as it is destroyed, before entering the trash. Doing that effect is part of destroying the card. Unless I am misunderstanding your question?

1 Like

… I missed that. I feel rather stupid, now.

Definitely makes Onmi nastier…

1 Like

The Adhesive Foam Grenade question.

1. When in Atlantis and the Crucible tries to play an environment card, but Adhesive Foam Grenade prevents it, do you put the card back or discard it.

2. It was mentioned that an errata might come out where Adhesive Foam grenade always discards the top card when it prevents a play, is this true, and how does this affect fights like Mad Bomber Blade? Because this changes the usefulness of this card massively in that fight.

The Unity Flash Forge Question

Pretty sure we know this one, but it says to "Either discover 1 Mechanical Golem card or discover 1 Item card. " Is this meant to be that you decide which you are looking for, then discover for that type, or is this meant to be that you discover the first of either type that you run across?

Excavation makes this seem like the first, since it reads “Discover X relic and/or Ongoing cards” but best to be certain.

Yes, with Flash Forge the intent is you get to pick. Otherwise the wording would have been discover 1 mechanical golem or item card.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s why I started this thread! To give us all one place to look, at least until a better idea comes along. However, how we get the answers…:person_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Do reactions work how I think they work? For example, Bunker’s armour that reduces two damage, he can really tank with that, eh? Once per turn he can just ignore a 1 or 2 damage hit, indefinitely until it’s destroyed-- that’s strong! Feels almost too strong!

Once per turn from a non-Hero target, yep! It’s nice, until you get hit a second time. Or get hit for more than 2 damage.

I personally prefer Wraith’s reaction, although I have rarely actually gotten it.

2 Likes

“Almost too strong” is the defining philosophy of DE. :smiley:

3 Likes

Look, you can either nerf the big hitters and take away the appeal, or you can just make everyone as badass as the system can handle.

6 Likes

Wraith getting a free card play is bonkers.

Too bad all her best stuff is powers.

1 Like

It sure lets her get herself set up faster, though. And with her level of card draw, she usually has a couple one-shots available. The other day I used her combat reflexes to interrupt incoming damage from Citizen Winter…and play Abduct and Interrogate on her. uhrk! She regretted going for The Wraith.

1 Like

I do want to say, on the subject of DE heroes being very powerful or the game being too easy…you can do events and advanced mode texts at the same time. And in games of EE i never felt the need to do challenge modes for the majority of villains, here they seems like an actual useful lever to lean on if you want a bigger challenge

Everyone thinks baron blades a chump till he’s milling two free cards a turn and has his soliders diving in front of him to buy time.

3 Likes