Definitive Edition Clarifications

… Or when he plays 2 Jet Troopers in a row, who both play a Turret each, whose damage is being boosted by the 2 Tanks you couldn’t spare damage to kill…

And that’s how I got my 1st and so far only loss in DE.

Also as good as Bunker’s reaction is, I think his Heavy Plating in the old game was more powerful. The shielding can block the occasional small hit or one big hit, while the Heavy Plating reduces all damage to him. The reaction is more fun and strategic though.

Yeah, I never felt confident enough to even try advance before. I’d do it in a game where someone asked to, but just solo? No thanks. I even avoided certain villains because it would have just been a frustrating game instead of a fun one.

Now?

Now I’ve been playing anything.

Saw some comments on the RCR Kickstarter, and it made me wonder about a Definitive Edition rule.

Hey does anyone know where I can find an official ruling about whether, when you reorganize a hero’s area before the beginning of their turn, whether you can change which hero target one of Captain Cosmic’s constructs are next to?

Reorganizing your area does not allow you to change where cards are attached/next to.

A) they aren’t in your area, they are in the other area, so they don’t get reorganized on your (captain cosmic’s) turn, but on theirs

B) this is mainly to change what order things activate, not to move items or ongoings to different play areas.

So I have no problem with a Construct being locked onto the same target until it’s destroyed, but what’s this part about reorganizing a hero’s play area? I can’t locate this in the rulebook. I know the EE app has cards activate in the order played, and there’s no changing that while they remain in play. Does DE let you move things around? I’ve only played about three games, and have just been going left to right each time.

1 Like

Reorganizing your play area is not a thing. I’m not sure what that comment is talking about.

I mean, you can organize your cards in whatever way makes sense to you, but cards still activate Start Phase and End Phase effects in the order they entered play, which most players just organize as left to right. And once a construct is next to a target, it can’t be moved to a different one.

I know there was some confusion about the Vitality Conduit construct, which reads “Start Phase: The hero next to this card regains 2hp”. The VC activates on the Start Phase of the hero it’s next to, not Captain Cosmic’s start phase, if we extrapolate from how Augmented Ally is worded.

Edit: Nvm, I was not aware the rulebook had been updated or the Christopher showed some of it on the stream. Whoops

2 Likes

If you look at page 18 of the Updated Rulebook (21.11), it now has the text:

During Hero turns, before the start of any phase, players may reorder any non-character cards in their play area before resolving them from left to right.

But I think the answer to the question is no, constructs cannot be placed on new targets; that is only when they are played. Some people want this interaction to be the case, but you should also almost never end up with a targetless construct.

I believe Christopher was also asked a question about the rule update in the post-Kickstarter livestream, where he pointed out that it is basically a living document and will be updated as necessary.

2 Likes

Thank you! Either I overlooked that in the rules, or it’s an addition since printing. That adds an extra element of strategy.

I didn’t even really mean to bring up the Construct part, as I knew those don’t change attachments once played. It is good to have the clarification that Start Phase effects occur on the respective target’s turn.

It is definitely an addition. I am particularly curious to see how it’ll affect playing the RCR heroes, because it doesn’t affect the core heroes all that much. And the timing of the change seems to indicate it was caused by playtesting of the RCR heroes, but that might just be me overthinking it.

3 Likes

Christopher actually came up with it shortly after the core set Kickstarter. He didn’t like how fiddly some order-of-play decisions were, and he noticed that, in practice, a lot of newer players were just organizing their play areas however they wanted anyway.

6 Likes

Huh. Well that’s going to make playing Benchmark pretty interesting when we get him again. He no longer needs a dedicated card for reorganizing his play area.

I kinda like the change. Most of the time the order doesn’t matter, or the gains made by reorganizing the order are pretty minimal, but for the times it does matter it’s impossible or annoying to change. If people are just going to change it anyway, might as well make it official.

Just need to make sure people know you can’t change the order of the villain and environment play area, because there it definitely does matter.

Though if you do want to use this to optimize things to your advantage, here’s some situations I can think of where it helps.

• Unity - you can reorganize your bots to optimize their damage, like having Platform/Arsenal Bot take out something that’s protecting the main villain before your Raptors take a bite out of the boss.
  • Bunker - make it so Expendable Power Bank/Recharge Mode activate before Gatling Gun, so you can load it up more before firing it.
  • Haka - if you have Dance in the Fray, a Haka card, and some other ongoing that destroys itself in your start phase (Knock Heads, Tiaki Defender, etc.) you can have the ongoing destroy itself before the Haka does, so the damage still benefits from the damage boost/irreducibility.
2 Likes

Ok, here’s a quick question that came up in our latest play session:

We’re fighting Baron Blade’s normal event, and someone tries to hit the Baron for 4+ damage. He reveals and plays a Jet Trooper to redirect the damage to. Does the Jet Trooper still do its enter play effect, or does the redirect happen first and kill it?

Redirect and kill it first. The trigger “After this card is played” which doesn’t happen if it’s immediately destroyed.

2 Likes

Ok, so we played it correctly. The “after” was throwing me off a little.

@Christopher Looking for official clarification here…

The Turn Sequence section of the rulebook says “DRAW PHASE: That Hero may draw the top card of their deck. If that Hero did not play any cards during their PLAY PHASE and did not use any powers during their POWER PHASE this turn, they may draw 1 additional card.”

Four scenarios:

1. It’s Bunker’s turn.
    1.1. Bunker takes his Play Phase and chooses not to play any cards.
    1.2. Bunker takes his Power Phase and chooses not to use any powers.
    1.3. Bunker takes his Draw Phase.
  2. It’s Bunker’s turn.
    2.1. Bunker takes his Play Phase but has no cards in hand.
    2.2. Bunker takes his Power Phase and chooses not to use any powers.
    2.3. Bunker gets his Draw Phase.
  3. It’s Bunker’s turn.
    3.1. Bunker skips directly from his Start Phase to his Draw Phase using the effect on Bank Heist in Progress.
    3.2. Bunker takes his Draw Phase.
  4. It’s the Wraith’s turn. First Appearance the Wraith is incapacitated.
    4.1. The Wraith uses the incapacitated ability “1 Hero takes their DRAW PHASE.”
    4.2. Bunker takes his Draw Phase.

My reading is that none of these cases involve Bunker playing any cards during his PLAY PHASE or using any powers during his POWER PHASE, so all of them should result in him being allowed to draw 2 cards during his DRAW PHASE on that turn.

If I’m wrong, please help me understand why.

I know you said in an early gameplay stream that out-of-turn DRAW PHASEs (e.g. scenario 4) don’t give the second draw, but looking at the rulebook, I can’t see any reason for that to be the case (especially when other turns that have a DRAW PHASE but no PLAY PHASE or POWER PHASE, like scenario 3, do give the second draw).
If this is a change, or the rulebook needs to be updated, I can live with that… as long as the rulebook does get updated so there is a single centralized source for The Rules.

I’m sorry if this is rude or needlessly aggressive. I’m just concerned because I got the impression that “in order to play the game correctly in an edge case, someone needs to have listened to everything you’ve ever said about it online” is part of what DE wants to move away from, but this distinction is currently pushing back towards that territory.

This is in the RCR rulebook FAQ (bolding the question to make it clearer when the answer starts)

If I have the option to use multiple powers during my POWER PHASE and only use one, do I get to draw extra cards during my DRAW PHASE?
No. You draw one extra card in your DRAW PHASE when you don’t play any cards on your PLAY PHASE and don’t use any powers on your POWER PHASE during your turn.

• If it’s your turn and you skip or are made to skip your PLAY and POWER PHASES, you still draw 2 cards for the DRAW PHASE. However, getting an off-turn DRAW PHASE doesn’t let you draw 2 cards.
2 Likes

Aha. Thank you!

So we just need things like this added to the core “living” rulebook, and then we can actually look them all up in one place. Great!

I hope it happens, it doesn’t seem like it will be done for a while.

Small question regarding Phase timings:

If something says “until the [phase]” and it occurs during that phase, does it expire immediately, at the end of the phase, at the start of the next applicable phase, or at the end of the next applicable phase?

The key example of this: Cosmic Omnitron. Its Start Phase says, in part, “Activate the FABRICATE of each Villain card in play”. Meanwhile, Adaptive Plating says “FABRICATE: Until the Villain START PHASE, after Omnitron is dealt a type of damage, Omnitron becomes immune to that type of damage for the rest of the turn.”
So my question is, in this case, after the FABRICATE procs (and assuming it isn’t destroyed) will it last:
A. essentially no time at all
B. until the end of the Start Phase
C. for the rest of the round
or D. until the end of the next villain turn’s Start Phase.

this is a question that’s been asked a bunch of times, I’m planning on sending in a letter for next Editor’s Note

Pixie Knights!

The card deals :h: damage, then if that damage was “redirected, reduced, or prevented,” do something.

What’s weird is that the DE core set rulebook arguably describes “immune to damage” in a way that suggests that it’s not the same thing as “preventing” the damage. Given the rest of the Pixies’ wording, though, I suspect the intent was, “then, if less than :h: damage was dealt to that target, …”

Also: man, I hate those pixies.

Things like Hypersonic Assault could prevent them from dealing damage.