Definitive Edition Clarifications

Right! If you hit the Pixies with a Hypersonic Assault, then they will trigger their second effect. But my question is, if no damage was dealt because their original target was immune, then do they? It seems like the thematic answer should be “yes,” but because the rulebook seems to separate “immune” and “prevent” and the card text calls out a bunch of things but not “immune,” that there’s an argument to be made the other way.

Immune is different from prevented damage, despite how strange it may seem (It’s also different form reduced to 0). So you’re right, it is a bit wierd.

As it’s worded I’d say if a target was immune to damage then nothing further happens. It probably would be better to have it say if the damage was redirected or less than H damage was dealt.

2 Likes

Is Expatriette able to shoot if she has a gun card out, but no ammo card? The gun cards say you ‘may’ activate loaded on 1 ammo card, so it reads as if the gun power can be used with or without an ammo card.

Yep! Anytime there is a “may”, it is an optional action.

3 Likes

ty!

Well, we think we know what The Bear was supposed to be doing, but it sure confused us. Three questions:

1. Whose villain character cards are in play? Thematically, it sure seems like it should be The Chairman and The Bear. But, in general, Critical Event character cards substitute for the “main” character, and since The Chairman’s setup specifically says to get the Operative, we thought The Bear replaced The Chairman and then there would be no Operative. We’re pretty confident that’s how it was supposed to happen, but just confirming.

2. Can you “would activate” Commands on a card that doesn’t exist? Say The Bear plays Perfect Human Specimens. The Chairman does not heal because The Chairman is not in play. The Operative does not heal because The Operative is not in play. But then we are supposed to activate Commands on the Operative’s card. One interpretation here is that the instruction fizzles, because there is no game text tagged with “Commands” that we could activate at all. But then it doesn’t make sense for The Bear to have his “Commands would be activated” text. So we decided to play that like “whenever a Villain card is played that includes the word ‘Commands,’ play the top card of the Villain deck.”

3. Does the Critical Event villain character card share the name of the original villain? I think the answer has been established as “no,” but now I can’t find it. The issue arises here with the Crooked Cop and a couple other cards. When the Crooked Cop says to play a card from under The Chairman, but there’s no card in play called The Chairman, I think nothing happens (as opposed to one of the Underbosses under The Bear trying to come out and triggering The Bear’s attack).

2 Likes

The Bear replaces the Chairman, so replace any instance of “The Chairman” with “The Bear.” The Chairman is the main villain card, with the Operative on the side, so any Operative instructions fizzle. This differs from the Fey Court, where the Dagda and Morrigan are equal partners.

1 Like

3 Likes

Aha! Thanks for finding the FAQ I was too blind to see.

I reread that section on multiple character cards several times, though, and I don’t see how it addresses my particular questions.

Rules question that I’m betting has been answered elsewhere, but I haven’t been able to find.

For cards that are played in other play areas (such as Captain Cosmic’s Vitality Conduit, or any of the Bonds of the Fae Court, Plague Rat’s Infection cards, the travelling relics from the Diamond Mansion, etc.), do the Start/Play/Draw/Power/End Phase texts on those cards activate when the “owner’s” (i.e. what the card back is) corresponding phase goes off, or the play area of where the card actually is?

The play area that they are actually in. It’s not clearly pointed out, but this is answered in the FAQ of the RCR Rulebook, in this question:

It is absolutely clearly pointed out in the core rulebook.

Ah, there it is! I meant for the section I was pointing to, and now it makes sense why that FAQ section sort of breezes past it.

Just asking for some clarifications on Gloomweaver’s Critical Event.

1. What happens if all non-hero targets are destroyed, but there aren’t H+2 cards under Gloomweaver? Do you just win, or does the soul just float on the table until the Start Phase effect moves it to the recently discovered target?

I assumed you just win, since the rulebook says when there are no villain characters in play you win, unless something states otherwise.

1. If Fanatic uses Brutal Censure on a target, and later it gets Possessed, is its text still gone? It wasn’t a character when it was initially targeted, but later became one so…

2. The rulebook explicitly states Characters can’t be buried, but what about being put on top or shuffled into the deck, in the case of Zhu Long’s Shinobi Assassins or Insula Primalis’ Imminent Eruption? If those cards can be put on top/shuffled, what happens to the soul?

1 Like

You still have the CE character card out controlling the win condition so you should still continue.

The CE is giving it the text not the card that was targeted. So it would then only have the text related to the CE.

For a possessed Assassin it should be player choice as both trigger whenever they would be destroyed. For the volcano, it would still be shuffled back into the deck.

3 Likes

Sorry if this has been asked or is obvious but I’ve had trouble finding it.

If a card is played during the Start Phase that has Start Phase effects, does that new card’s start phase effects also take effect this round?

Yep! The Start Phase is still happening, and it doesn’t end until all Start Phase texts in play have resolved. (The same is true for all other phases—End, Play, Power, Draw—as well, of course.)

Alright, now I have a question. I was playing Fanatic, and used her First Appearance Variant’s Power. I already had Absolution (a Limited Relic) in play. The Power told me to Discover a Relic. So if I reveal another copy of Absolution, does it get “played” (i.e. really go into my hand ‘cos I already have one copy in play), or do I keep revealing until I get a different Relic?

(Thankfully, when we were actually playing, I got the Aegis, so this problem didn’t occur, but I still thought of the aforementioned possibility.)

(Also, I thought that this was clarified somewhere, but I can’t remember where; I checked the core game rulebook FAQ and found nothing.)

You would try to play the card and it would go to your hand. Most often this occurs with Tempest where you play Alien Weather Patterns and come across duplicate limited weather cards. Discover only cares you find a match and not whether an existing limited card is in play.

1 Like

I’m not looking at it, but iirc it might be addressed under the explanation of Limited cards – when they are already in play, an attempt to play them (via Play Phase or Discover or any other means) sends them to your hand instead.