Episode 202 of the Letters Page: Writers’ Room: Freedom Five #508

The wedding issue

2 Likes

I hope I was supposed to read that intro show note in the same tone as “Are you ready for some football?”

Also, I love the hell out of Dana’s dress.

Dang, Christopher’s grandma’s place does sound great.

Captain Cosmic officiating? That’s brilliant. :smiley:

The first half of this issue absolutely is hype, this is great!

Oh no, I just noticed the subtitle is “Wedding of the lightyear!” and I have nothing but respect for the gratuitous misuse of terms. XD

Epic hero wedding in space is just so fitting, just totally perfect. :slight_smile: This was a great episode.

2 Likes

Great issue! Awesome cover! Very feel-good episode!

I burst out laughing at “grab the slow one”.

Though, man, having Amelia Twain on the cover gives some melancholy vibes.

4 Likes

Not for at least another decade it doesn’t! Aminia is still great as far as any creators or fans are concerned

Not sure about anyone else, but I’d love to hear more about how Dana and Harpy interact…

Then again, I think AZ and Unity would have some interesting stuff, and that actually got shot down in one stream.

“We’ll take the slow one.” :rofl:

My headcanon for the looks of the Gene-Bound “chapel” comes from the R-rated sci-fi show “Lexx”, which has an episode that takes place on a space brothel with a big glass dome (two of them actually, but one that covers the room that the whole episode takes place in). It’s a pleasure palace, but in the course of the episode it gets used as a courtroom, so it’s this beautiful environment being used for something very grim and deadly; the wedding in a just-conquered bio-weapons laboratory is kind of the opposite, but has the same general vibe of juxtaposed violence and glory.

Also, is Wraith’s identity “out” to her teammates at this point in the story? Because otherwise Argent and Cap exposed her secret, by putting her in the mask-less wedding dress she has on the back cover.

The heroes “won” Vengeance in the sense that if they had “lost”, they’d all be dead. So kind of a pyrrhic victory, agreed.

In historical terms, this was probably a comparably big deal to “The Death of Superman”, which absolutely did get into the papers (conversely, the “death” of Legacy during the Voss event was clearly NOT that big of a splash). Marvel’s version of this event was to gay-marry a relatively minor character from Alpha Flight; I don’t know if DC did anything comparable, but they definitely didn’t use The Flash, nor did Marvel use an Avenger or anything, so the Metaverse pretty definitely cared about this event much more than our world cared about Northstar.

Great insight on how Tachyon seemed more mad-sciency pre-Unity and more “boring” post-Unity, while not actually changing that much (also not aging that much, but that’s beside the point). I love the idea that the character has two sides, and which one you see depends on which angle you look from. Tachy spends a lot of time telling Unity what the rules are, not because she was never following the rules before, but because she never had to explain it until now.

Nega-God Guise is a thing that has just happened to exist one time; it’s theoretically possible, just highly unlikely, that such a thing could happen again. Singular entities are an entirely different thing. It’s like the difference between rolling 100 fifty times on a 100-sided die, which is massively unlikely but could theoretically happen, and rolling 50,000 on a 100-sided die, which is only possible if the die was specifically minted to have that number on one of its sides, which would disqualify it from being considered a normal 100-sided die.

Okay, that’s everything from this episode, all in one message this time. Later, folks.

They’ve been a team since the late 50s and Legacy already knew her identity before that. It would be more odd to me that team didn’t know she was Maia Montgomery by the 90s

More that AZ was annoyed with her at first and felt like she was in the way of him and Tachyon doing their usual friend stuff, but eventually appreciated her on her own terms that she acts like more of a normal person than Tachyon does.

As for the episode itself, this was an incredibly adorable episode. Two feel-good episodes, we’re being spoiled!

Dana and Argent being friends is an interesting thing I want to ask after at some point now. Argent moonlighting at some event Dana was modelling at? Or is it that his family seems well-to-do so he’s side connected to those high society circles? Hmm.

Actually I just want more Dana story in general. I was hoping for some here but no dice.

Also, so is Christopher saying he thinks AZ isn’t good-looking? Rude! :3

3 Likes

Love how you wrote a letter in and ended up on the receiving end of the shipping for once. :V

2 Likes

I’m like 90% certain that they’ve talked about Guise being functionally a Scion of Wager Master before. Am I wrong? When the question came up I was like “obviously yes” because I thought they’d directly stated it before.

2 Likes

Christopher’s revenge for my questioning his flavor text choices, no doubt. :3

Yeah, they discussed it in Editor’s Note 46.

Though C&A forgetting they already mentioned something is of course not a new thing. :3

5 Likes

Well there we go then. The reason “it took so long for somebody to ask that” is because we already all knew it!

3 Likes

I don’t recall them mentioning that ever before, and I’m pretty sure I’ve heard that editor’s note. Not saying I don’t believe you, but I for one got to enjoy their “reveal” in this episode. Maybe when it was brought up before, it was in a more offhand way, instead of them making a big deal out of it as they did here. But also, it sounds like they maybe have RPG plans or something that relate to this, so perhaps they did kinda know it wasn’t new info, but made a big deal of it just for marketing reasons.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s BC56’s letter starting at about 25:40. What they said there really isn’t nearly as direct as it was in this episode.

They were saying that ‘scion’ is not a special term outside the context of OblivAeon; there’s not really any functional difference between somebody like Galactra and Empyreon. They’re both mortals empowered by a singular entity, the only difference is in purpose and intent. So from a certain point of view you could call Legacy a scion of Wellspring or Guise a scion of Wager Master, though in that latter case it wasn’t really intentional.

But then again, Aeon Girl is basically a scion and wasn’t intentional either, so if you want to use it as a term for anyone who’s directly empowered by contact with a singular entity, then they all count.

Honestly this sounds like a comic I’d LOVE to own, and I’m sad again that it only exists in the Metaverse! Very fluffy but with a decent dose of superheroes - yep, that’s damn good! Also I love the idea of the running gag of “Dana’s gonna cry, Meredith’s gonna keep her cool” being subverted when Dana’s vows make Meredith messily dissolve into tears.

[And side note - I love venison, so I guess I have to try elk now? Christopher is right about kangaroo, too - it’s great, and it’s everywhere here, even in most of the supermarkets! Extremely good]

1 Like

About halfway through the episode and all I want to know is how Argent got his hair that way, how I can get my hair that way, and why he ever bothered to change it.

But seriously, everyone on the cover looks absolutely fabulous.

4 Likes

See… I’m more curious about interactions between AZ, Unity, Tachyon, and Omni. I feel like AZ would come down on the “person” side of the argument, to counter Tachyon’s “just a machine” statements. Just because of the philosophy and poetry aspect to his character.

Like… after Omni-X’s apparent death, Tachyon getting on Unity’s case about the latter’s mood (distracted in the lab, maybe?), and a voice from the speaker “Leave the kid alone, Doc, she lost a friend.”

4 Likes

I have joked on occasion that I wish I could have my hair drawn by Adam because Adam always gives everybody fabulous hair.

I nominate you send that as a question because I’m also genuinely curious how AZ would react. I think you’re likely right, though, particularly based on some bits of his RPG bio.

2 Likes

I’m deeply curious - do we know anything about Dana’s family? Does she have parents who are living, and if so, do they support her? Or are they out of the picture? I can’t remember whether it’s ever come up.

2 Likes

No . . . I’m fairly certain that we know literally nothing about her family, other than Meredith.

3 Likes