Episode 219 of the Letters Page: Creative Process: Scholar Villains

You have to be pretty despicable to hate him.

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to start out with a ā€œHoly Crap!ā€ to Christopherā€™s story.

Also, the talk about Greatest Legacy and Boldest Legacy meeting makes me think it would be even better if Boldest and Newest (Felicia) met. Seems like she would be inspired by Boldest (especially from what I know of the Tactics/Vertex timeline).

4 Likes

Whatā€™s scarier: A story of real-life peril, or deepfake Christopher.ai?

Very glad Christopher and his friends and those other people did not die in a cave. D: Also very impressed with his ability to stay calm in a crisis.

I love that Adam had to concede to the idea of Christopher getting a peg leg, and I feel this sums up their friendship. What a couple of guys.

Iā€™m glad he made the villainous cave joke, I was definitely thinking it. XD

Ooh, I hope this means weā€™ll get a DE Count Barzok deck as Scholarā€™s nemesis. :smiley:

Maybe they could call him Mister Chompsā€¦ :V

Is Stuntman le livre choppƩd to vous? V:

Again, I enjoy the joy they display at doing stupid things in the name of making comics. :smiley:

Major points for the amount of nuance they poured into Waykeep.

ā€œSo many layers. I am so tired.ā€ XD

ā€œOh, you thought the new addition was a baby?ā€ Again, Christopher makes the jokes so I donā€™t have to. :smiley:

Has anyone ever asked, like, what if Pauline had twins? Do they both get powers, or just the first one to actually be born? I legit donā€™t recall if this has come up before.

1 Like

I seem to recall it coming up before but Iā€™m not finding anything so far.

1 Like

I think that comes down to the ā€œmagic geneticsā€ bit. If I had to guess, I imagine part of the Legacy bit is inhibiting the probability of twins. Though it also seemed to be favoring male heirs, so maybe Feliciaā€™s birth indicated something was changing about the Legacy line? Or not.

1 Like

This actually plays into a theory that (at least) Jeysie and I have regarding how things will go down. Multiple Legacy lines with only partial powers passed to the members of a multiple birth. Thus increasing the number of people per generation that have powers, but simultaneously toning down the number of powers said individuals have.

I think this also plays into the transition from the ā€œpresentā€ to the state in Galactic Strike Force where we have ā€œMetahumansā€ instead of just ā€œHumansā€.

4 Likes

I feel like Waykeep is one of those villains that Scholar should eventually come to an uneasy truce with. Like, sheā€™s not wrong; heā€™s playing around with power that could be devastating to the whole planet if he werenā€™t excruciatingly careful with it. The Waykeep spirit (and maybe that host body) has dealt with probably thousands of leyline manipulators in its many thousands of years, and Scholar might be the only one, or one of a tiny number, who are actually taking care of the system theyā€™re accessing and treating it with respect. She might eventually trust that he means well and seems to know what heā€™s doing, but at the same time heā€™s still, as it were, doing open heart surgery with a backhoe.

That makes her a good setup for Deadline, too ā€“ the implication that leyline manipulation could theoretically raise mountains and boil seas, that Scholar is using the tiniest fraction of what he could do if he didnā€™t care about consequences, sets up for Deadline to show up and do just that. Like ā€œOh, this is what evil The Scholar looks like, and itā€™s an extinction event.ā€

3 Likes

Meanwhile, Iā€™m wondering what happens in the RPG timeline when she comes after Guise, who if Iā€™m remembering correctly, now has the Philosopherā€™s Stone inside him?

5 Likes

Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be just fineā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

3 Likes

I liked the circus origin, but if you ask me they really missed the opportunity with their first ā€œ_____ Manā€ character to tie it back to the beginning. Carl S. Badde is Cave-Man, the man thatā€™s also an underground cave filling with water! Imagine the team up potential with Man-Grove!

ā€œDomo arigato, youā€™re in my grotto!ā€

Okay, admittedly itā€™s a work in progress. I feel like the foundation is rock-solid, though. Hopefully it wonā€™t collapse under its own weight. :smirk:

4 Likes

Probably couldnā€™t use Cave Man due to Captain Cave Man

2 Likes

Taking me waaaay back there! Youā€™re right, probably not. GEICO might have something to say, too. Shame thoughā€¦

2 Likes

I feel like the right person to go through Scholarā€™s houseboat and reconstruct his life from what he left behind would be the Wraith. She notably trained with him, and she is a detective.

Maybe she sees the houseboat abandoned and washed up, and it feels weirdly familiar even though she canā€™t place it.

4 Likes

When they were discussing the third member of the circus and hit ā€˜trapeze artistā€™, I shot bolt-upright in my chair and silently yelled ā€œTHE AMAZING MABLE!ā€

But sadly, this did not turn into a situation in which one-third of a villainous trio went and joined La Capitan.

5 Likes

I think sheā€™s from an earlier time period, though, isnā€™t she?

4 Likes

I had the same two thoughts. ā€œItā€™s Mable! No, waitā€¦ sheā€™s from MUCH earlier.ā€

Iā€™m wondering how many of them actually remember Scholar. :confused: And what does that mean for them individually if this major nemesis just no longer exists, they have no memory of them, etc. :unamused:

2 Likes

To be honest, I could not for the life of me remember what we have about Mableā€™s backstory.

I in fact wrote in with this question before I was done listening to the episode! :slight_smile:

1 Like

From episode 96

Mable Griffin, The Amazing Mable, Acrobat: When is she from? The early 1900s, when circuses are really popular. She was part of a specific traveling troupe that was all black women acrobats (The Amazing Aerial Angels - the members of the troupe all had alliterative names and she was the Marvelous Mable in the show). They would go from circus to circus as they were a more independent act that would get hired on for a show here and there as the prejudices of the day prevented them from getting a permanent job/meant that they didnā€™t want to be locked into unfair conditions. One time they had a job at some weird carnival with a ridiculously long name. The other members would go off somewhere (backstage, out of the tent for whatever reason, etc.) and disappear until she was the only one left. When she goes to look for them she finds that the whole carnival is now empty. She thinks she hears something in a tent and goes in only to now find herself lost in time - luckily, thereā€™s somebody we know that kind of hangs out there and picked her up. So, sheā€™s kind of got a secondary mission of her own to find the rest of her troupe. She takes the name ā€œThe Amazing Mableā€ in remembrance of the group as a whole.

5 Likes