Episode 239 of the Letters Page: Writers’ Room: Dark Watch Vol. 1 #47

Prompt was “a romance the fans hated” which means it true love no matter what other says on this Valentine’s Day

Cover is hidden to not spoil

3 Likes

Get ready, listeners, this one’s a doozy

2 Likes

Hilariously, I have a pack of those cookies in my pantry right now. And they’re hardly the worst Oreo ever, for all that I am highly amused by their mutual groaning over it. Proof: Take vs. Food Episode 39: Unraveling the Mystery of Mystery Oreos! - YouTube

Okay, Expatriette and Kismet though…

Oh boy, hate this already. :slight_smile:

I, too, am pleased with the horrible way this entire plot thread goes. But man, poor Harpy. XD

And a bonus fall of Dark Watch story! This isn’t a bad episode at all! :slight_smile:

Mr. Fixer driving away. XD

Aw, Pete’s such a good guy. :slight_smile:

Love the Fright Train idea!

I’m so pleased KNYFE and Orbo came up again.

Okay, Writer’s Room: Mr. Fixer’s old flame shows up again. Let’s do this, I need it!

So Wraith seduces a lot of guys named Mark, huh?

3 Likes

Oh my, how did we have a train wreck this big without Stephen Graves being involved?

What a fun episode!

It’s funny that they had to rely on “it’s too drawn-out and badly written” as the thing that irritates the fans, because otherwise yeah, I’m here for it! The idea that, in theory, he might be sincerely redeemed, but he’s so incredibly untrustworthy that we can never know for sure? Delicious. And even with the way it works out, it gives some interesting weight to their later interactions. I’m always gonna be more interested in superhero fights when the stakes are really personal.

And yes, Expat/Setback/Kismet throuple is a dreadful idea that ABSOLUTELY got no end of fanfics about it in the metaverse. Heck, I’m halfway tempted to write one myself :stuck_out_tongue:

(Also I wonder if Christopher would like regular lemon thins, or if he only enjoys lemon thin Oreos?)

3 Likes

Some of the Letters Page discord folks hate it exists period. And even they seem to not be terribly fond of it. No matter who it was the relationship had to last for at least a while and not be a one off.

As a person who submitted this as a topic I feel they nailed it.

3 Likes

Look, we all know the real reason why the fans hated this.

spoilers

Putting a shirt on Apostate? Sacrilege!

I feel like I could swear I called this as an idea once. If I didn’t, I know somebody did, lol.

7 Likes

I too think they nailed the prompt, but also don’t mind it. Partially because it makes sense, especially considering the story they made out of it.

1 Like

Haven’t heard the entire episode yet, but far enough to know the pairing. Just looked at the cover, and gotta say that’s just gross. Could easily be transplanted onto a cheap trashy romance novel. So good job on the prompt! I hate it, and can’t wait to hear the rest and find out what happens!

P.S. Double Stuff Oreo is objectively better than regular, and the only flavor variant worth existing is Mint Creme. I’m willing to die on this hill. Fight me.

3 Likes

Have fun, this is honestly one of my favorite episodes, and I went in with no expectations.

I really like the metaverse end of Sentinels in general, and this episode has so much fun with shaping the reactions of the metaverse as a whole, not to mention a really fun story.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to put a stop to this nonsense. The BEST Oreos, by such a wide margin that it’s barely worth even discussing second place, are Cinnamon Bun flavour Oreos. The filling is sweeter, but that sweetness is offset by just the perfect amount of cinnamon in the cookies. They are. SO. GOOD.

I sort of enjoy the Carrot Cake Oreos, but the cookies are just a touch too crunchy and there’s something slightly off with the filling’s flavour. But somehow they manage to be better than the sum of their parts and it ends up being enjoyable.

If I may enquire re: the double-stuffed, what about it do you enjoy? I’m sort of with Christopher on the “the filling isn’t the best part” thing, except that I prefer to eat my Oreos whole so the filling is key [for me]. But I guess if you liked the filling more double-stuffed would be the way to go?

If you’ll all excuse me, I need to go to the grocery store now.

Yet another thing that upsets me more than the relationship from this episode.

1 Like

The horror… :scream:

Same here, dunked in milk is best. No filling = just a wafer. I don’t really go for the twist apart and lick method.

Because I don’t accept other flavors, or because I accept anything beyond the original? I used to be an Oreo purist, but the mint won me over. Similar to Girl Scout Thin Mints, but with the creamy filling texture instead of all crunch.

Mint creme Oreoes. Not as bad as mint ice cream, but it’s bound to be up there.

I think we need a list question for the next Editor’s Note regarding the favorite Oreo flavor of the respective Sentinels heroes. Ya know, or whatever the equivalent in-universe cookie is assuming Todido’s makes snack products beyond chips.

2 Likes

The in-universe cookie is called Moreo’s, because clearly that name is still up for grabs.

3 Likes

My problem with dipping any cookie in milk is that I’m (1) impatient, and (2) want to cookie to absorb as much milk as possible without falling apart. When I can get it perfect, it’s great. But half the time I’m just sitting there waiting for the cookie so soak up more milk and hoping I don’t keep it in too long.

I have taken the mini Oreos, tossed a few in a cup, broken them up with a teaspoon and poured some milk in on top, which works pretty well. But at that point it actually works better without the filling.

Yeah, but it’s a delicious wafer. There’s a reason lots of recipes call for an Oreo cookie crumb crust, and it’s not because the filling is the best part of the cookie.

I am with you there. Again, I’m impatient, and all that time faffing about with twisting and licking isn’t worth it. And an Oreo is one of those things that’s better than the sum of it’s parts, so taking it apart is like downgrading it. That sweet filling? It’s at it’s best when it’s providing a contrast to the bitter chocolate wafer.

I absolutely did not see this coming; it amuses me greatly that they considered and discarded more than a few of the suggestions that we put together while guessing.

But I think they nailed it. It’s exactly the kind of romance that most fans would hate - weird, mishandled by writer turnover, dragged out just a bit too long, but with a core idea that could have worked and substantially shaken up the setting if it had played out differently (plus the added grimace factor of someone barely out of their teens dating an immortal being.)

It winds up being exactly the sort of story that I love to hear about having happened, and would have been intensely upset with if it happened in a comic I was actually reading at the time.

And for the oreos - count me in the Double Stuffed camp. The contrast of filling and cookie is what makes Oreos great, and a bit of extra filling makes that contrast tilt sweet instead of tilting bitter. But more than that is too much of a good thing.

1 Like

I’m sure someone has researched a Saturation vs. Cohesion plot to determine the optimal dunking time. I’m not opposed to the chocolate cookie crust, but it needs some kind of creamy filling. Basically, as you said the creme and wafer are better together than standing alone.

And yes, I think the ratio is better in Double Stuft. Anything beyond that and you’re just mucking about in a sea of partially hydrogenated oils with apparently tons of sugar. I was surprised to hear them say that Oreos don’t contain lots of high fructose corn syrup.

Side note: I never listened to Il Alimento, but I’m taking great pleasure in the opening salvo fired in the Great Cookie Conflict of 2023.

1 Like

I think I remember cinnamon bun Oreos, and they were quite good. But then there was also once key lime, which my mother still complains about wanting.

My favorite were the berry ones with the pop rocks in the filling. :B

Also, best way to eat Oreos is two at a time, twisting off one cookie per and mashing the filling sides together. :slight_smile: You eat the empty wafers first because you are not a weenie.