GenCon 2016

So two months ago last year there was hype about GenCon already!

Who's excited? Who's going?

Who's volunteering? (Can anyone? I prepared an email to Craig citing my resume of awesomeness, but haven't sent -- I'd love to if I could!)

Who's running a >G event? (I submitted mine!)

Hope to see many of you there. DanMarshall14, my fellow Minnesotan Sentinels League member, is going via Fantasy Flight Games, but is sure to spend the rest of his time around the booth, and I know I'll be spending an inordinate amount of time there myself, volunteer or not.

I'm super excited! I do hope to volunteer again, I had a great time last year.

I'm excited! But I've been excited about it since, uh, I left the convention center at the end of last year's Gen Con.  :grin:

I'm going!

I'm volunteering! At least, so far, planning for 1/2 dedicated to GTG, again. (Hard to do full dedication at Gen Con as we actually have guests who stay with us during Gen Con.)

I'll let Craig respond as to if you should start sending volunteer emails, yet, but I imagine he'll be fine with getting them now.

I'm excited to go again this year! I imagine I'll be volunteering in some capacity.

If they let me, I’ll be taking a position as a Sidekick again and work at the booth the whole time! Looking forward to seeing everyone again. It’s my favorite four days of the year.

I'm open to getting volunteer stuff now, but don't necessarily expect to hear back from me right away. There's a loooooot on my plate in between now and when I actually have to start thinking about that. For example, a little show like PAX East. :-)

I'll be there! Will I be wearing pants? That's the great mystery that everyone is waiting to be solved. 

I'll be going for Friday/Saturday/Sunday, running a pile of Cold Steel Wardens events.

I'll do my best to swing by the >G area once or twice to see who's around.  You're all, of course, welcome to come play my games as well! :P

Nope!

Yay! I Solved the great mystery!

Oh, I'm sure you will – and they'll be very colorful. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you're not wearing pants does that mean you are cosplaying as Ronway or Cursed Acolyte?

I intend to be there and volunteer.  would prefer to find some room mates to split hotel costs with, but I'm determined either way.

I'm also interested in splitting hotel costs; I did that last year and it was great.

Will discuss with the wife about roomies...

My brother and I would also like to be there.

Defeateddust and I plan to be at GenCon again this year, and hopefully we'll get to volunteer at the booth again! It's so much fun getting to hang out with such cool people.

Sejixs, you ready for another ROAD TRIP?!

I should be there again, but I will just be a regular attendee. I hope to meet more of your guys this year. 

So, I'm a total newbie to GenCon, but have done other conventions and strongly considering going this year. Any suggestions?

Also, would love to share a hotel with fellow Sentinels fans, especially if it means getting a couple of games going over the weekend. :)

Suggestions about what to do at the con? Suggestions about whether or not to volunteer? Suggestions about how to find a place to stay? I figure the former, but wasn't entirely sure.

GenCon is big. There are tens of thousands of events. The exhibit hall is massive. This year GenCon is expanding to also be in Lucas Oil Stadium. Not quite sure what that will look like. Wear very, very comfortable walking shows. Pack water and snacks. There are plenty of restaurants, and there's a few places in the convention center to buy simple, greasy food, but you get what you pay for (or worse, in the convention center) and there can be long waits. 

Headline events (like True Dungeon) and smaller games that maybe only a few people are running will sell out and sell out quickly. If you really care about getting exactly what you want, you'll want to search out the event list before event registration starts and then be ready the moment reg opens to get into what's basically a lottery to choose events. Usually that event list only becomes available about a week before registration opens.

You can have a fantastic time w/out ever buying an event ticket – wander the halls trying games at boothes. You can also get generic tickets that will get you into events that don't happen to be full. Noone is stopping you from sitting on the floor in an out-of-the-way corner, sitting in a hotel lobby, your hotel room, or at a restaurant and playing a game with friends.

Did I mention comfortable walking shoes?