Hazard Spaces

Through these forums, things have been cleared up mostly about how they work: A unit moving into a space gets hit by it, if they are there at the end of their turn (assumedly during the To Be Continued... Phase), they are hit again. But I don't think that's the end to the clarifications. 

For instance, is a character hit by EACH hex they have to move through to get somewhere, or just once for the full effect of it?

Do hazard effects only attack other characters on their own turns? It seems that hazards only attack during movement (or ending the turn), but that seems to be a little unhelpful to people that generate them. Surely, they must attack once when they 'enter play' then again on other players' turns...

Targets are immune to their own attacks, but what about Allies? Is there friendly fire from hazards that you create (like if an ally were close to Ra when he becomes a Living Pyre? (actually...is there friendly fire for everything?)

Thanks, y'all! Still loving the game, but I need to be able to clarify it all for my gaming group, haha.

For every hazard space a character moves thorugh, the suffer the attack.

Hazard spaces trigger whenever a target moves through them, no matter who's turn it is. The only time it matters who's turn it is, is when it's the To Be Continued phase, which the current player gets hit by any Hazard Space they may be standing on.

Allies are not immune to attacks made by another ally. If an ally walks through Ra's Living Pyre, that ally will be attacks. If Absolute Zero uses Thermal Shockwave with an ally in the radius, that ally will be hit.

Each hex is a hazard space, so it triggers once per space.
They do not trigger on creation; that idea was brought up during playtesting, but it wouldn’t have been balanced.
Allies are not immune to your attacks. Don’t put hazard spaces where your friends will have to walk through them (unless that is your intent (Baron Blade’s Redistributor, for instance.)

Just to clarify what McBehrer said, they do not trigger on creation.

Ecch that’s what I meant. Autocorrect…

I thought auto-correct was when a moderator [edited, arenson9] edits a post.

what  if i move turrent  bot into somebodies space? does that mean the hazard will activate although they technically didnt move into turrents bots radius?

The Hazard Space would not trigger, as the target didn't move into the Hazard Space.

Yeah, the target has to move onto the space, not the space onto the target.

Wait! So you mean if I have a radius 1 hazard in play (let's say a glorious fiery tornado of doom) and there's a character who ended their turn in it (and got hit already), if the next character has to move through it, that means that they trigger the whole effect going off again, thus hitting both characters? I guess I just assumed that only the character moving through is targeted, but they are, in essence, attacking the other character by moving through?

No, they only hit the target walking through them.

I can support that this is official.

:slightly_smiling_face:

I just quoted myself, does the world blow up or something?

I think you just created a hazard space.

EDIT:OW! Yep.

You should have moved to a different thread before you ended your post.

I'm assumming hazard spaces work like this:

1) a character moves, (or is pushed)

2) that character enters a hazard space,

3) that hazard space's effect is resolved completely,

4) the character continues his or her movement (or push)

Then it seems a little wonky that each nearby hex to a hazard space with radius would trigger individually when entered. I'm talking about the Impulsion Turret. Suppose a hero gets hit by the impulsion turret, the villian can move the hero adjacent to the turret which would trigger the impusion turret's hazard attack space again. If the surface is level adjacent to the turret and the hero has 4 or less defense, then this process can be repeated infinitely (lauching said hero into the sun, or triggering infinite other hazard attacks). 

It seems likely that there is some implicate, limit one hazard attack per action/go time/to be continued..., rule out there to prevent this single card combo. Any ideas? 

So far Luther, the designer of the game, has suggested that the impulsion beam only be triggered once each per turn. The rest work as intended, once per space per hazard.

Perhaps if there were two keywords, "push" and "displace".  Displace would mean to move a target in any direction.  Push would specifically move a target away.  Then, push could be used for an impulsion turret to prevent infinite hazard attacks, while displace would be used by almost everything else.  It could still potentially happen with two turrets placed correctly, but heroes would play more carefully to avoid that.

Secret behind-the-scenes design notes: In the very beginning, all pushing was directly away! But it turns out that defining what exactly counts as "away" on a hexagonal grid, between two arbitrary hexes, is not as simple as would be ideal. If we're adjacent, obviously the hex on the other side of you is "away", but what about the hexes adjacent to that one? Any answer to that question is going to feel wrong to some players, and that's the simplest case. Now we're talking about characters 3 hexes away in a non-orthagonal line getting pushed 4 hexes each and all the pushing has to be within these simple 20 pages of rules explaining what's away and what isn't because my tournament life depends on it!

Rather than trying to re-write the hazard rules, I would just re-write the Impulsion Turret.

"If this attack hits, it deals no damage.  Instead, the target is pushed to the nearest unoccupied hex outside of the hazard spaces of this device.  The target cannot move into (or be pushed into) a hazard space of this device for the rest of the turn.  If two unoccupied hexes are equally close, Baron Blade's player chooses which one the target is pushed to."

There you go - the impulsion turret does its job (protecting the area around it) while avoiding infinite loops and other crazy stuff.  What do you think?