Regular Skype meetups

I had a great time last night on Skype attempting to defeat Cosmic Omnitron with a couple other forum-goers.

I think it would be fun to arrange regular, Skype-based meetups, but I see two major challenges:

1) To have more than two people on a Skype call requires that someone pays for premium Skype.

2) If more than a handful show up, we'd need to organize in to multiple games.

Is there interest in this?

Thoughts on the best way to handle these challenges?

What would be the best times for the meetup?

Er… no it doesn't.

I regularly play in RPGs over Skype (as in at least once a week) and they feature 4 or more people all using the free version.

I wouldn't mind expanding my Sentinels playing and joining a regular game via Skype.

EDIT: Ahhhhhhhhh! I think group video calls require a paid version of Skype, definately not neccessary for a card game.

SECOND EDIT: I really do recommend that people take a look at the Vassal module it’s really very useful for online play.

I'll have to find a place to host the files I made to add in the other heroes (it's still not playable without owning a copy of the cards themselves).

Want to share instructions for how the uninitiated would use a Vassal module? If so, I'll happily give it a try. If not, it might be a while before I make the effort to figure it out for myself.

If Skype meetups do become a regular thing, I would love to join in the fun. Though I did download the Vassal and I wasn't too thrilled with that, so the likely hood of me joining in on that is unlikely.

Whoops! I appear to have not responded yet.

Buh?

It's just an electronic table to keep track of your cards, why would that stop you from playing over Skype?

Sure.

I've just spent 20 minutes trying to think of how to put to gether instruction and without going needlesly complex I can't think of anything more than

1. Download Vassal

2. Download module

3. File->Open (select the sentinels mod, this step only needs to be done the first time you install each mod)

4. File->New game

5. Play!

I'm sure they'd be individual questions to answer over decks and such but it's be clearer/quicker to answer them 'in person' over Skype

Thanks! I wish there was a way to mark a post as unread, so I would remember to come back to this when I have time!

Is this still/ever was a thing?

Skype id: vvolf101

Google Hangout could work for this as well.

Oh yes, Google+ does have a video chat thingy, too, that allows more than two video conferences for free.

Does it need to be video chat? Would voice chat be enough? If so, there's a free vocie chat one called RaidCall. I probably won't ever be able to attend due to time zone differences, even though I like the initiative, and would love to.

I was wondering that - surely video-chat is unnecessary? I don't have a webcam anyway. Playing Sentinels over Skype could be...interesting. Would people type in the chat which cards they have out, or something, so people don't lose track? I suppose tracking bonuses and hp and stuff would at least be pretty easy as you could just type it in the chat window. I don't have a huge amount of space here in my room to get zillions of cards out but I could try ;).

No idea how this would work. Apparently, with this Vassal thingy you can keep track of cards and such. I don't have any room at my comp for laying out cards either, and I can't get Skype to work on my tablet anyway.

If you guys need a 3rd or 4th im in!

According to this daily server status, people have been playing yesterday. It was probably past my bedtime, because when I was logged in, there was no one there. I would be playing from GMT+1 btw, in the evenings.

I'm now GMT, as the clocks went back on Saturday. I don't really know what that Vassal thingy is so I don't know if I understand how it's used...is it basically an online version of Sentinels, or something? I didn't know one existed...

I am fully capable of using Skype/Google+ and would love to be a part of these.

i'm free for a Sunday Skype Meetup November 25

This sounds like fun, but I may not be free until next month (last semester of college, you see).  Also I need to get a new computer.  I've been using my mother's for the past month or so after my hard drive fried.

Hmmm… I got to get my computer as well. Myabe my iPad or something…

I jsut realzied that I don't have a regualr group to play with. WHich makes me sad :frowning:

I have a regular person to play with - we'll be getting in a few games tomorrow evening, loads on Saturday, and quite a few on Sunday if this weekend is anything like the last load of weekends :D. My dad's seen us playing and has expressed an interest so we might actually have an extra player for at least one game over the weekend.

If the possibility of playing a game over Teh Internets ever comes up, I have a feeling timezones may be a problem for me, but if it happens that a game comes up when I'm available, I'm certainly interested :).

No Sentinel should ever be without a group.  We need to organize some Skype games.