Sentinel Comics RPG - Kaiju Defenders Inc. Session 1 & 2

My group started a campaign! Here are links to session summaries for the first and second session. Thanks to Bruce (who plays the Abyssal) who writes the summaries, and Ernest who posts them on his website.

4 Likes

Always happy to see more writeups. :smiley: (You can tell Abyssalā€™s player did it because he has the longest bio lol)

Part 1 was cool, Iā€™ll have to come back for part 2 later. :slight_smile:

1 Like

X-Celerateā€™s surname is misspelled ā€œMarson.ā€

Kudos for making the first Australian Superteam (as far as I know).

Nice background, especially that mysterious ā€œOld Man.ā€

Making (almost) all the Heroes part of the same family/company is a nifty idea.

I donā€™t know why, but for some reason Spite and Baron Blade being in Australia just seems funny to me.

It seems like the Group Table at the top of the write-up is missing Nightwalker.

Itā€™s fun to see one of @FrivYetiā€™s Environments being used in actual play!

2 Likes

ā€¦Iā€™m sorry, keys?

ā€¦Iā€™m sorry, Onyxia? XD Did Ambuscade get any DKP off that wipe?

Not enough people use the phrase ā€œin high dudgeonā€ enough these days. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m guessing Nightstalker had a great deal of admiration for Ansel G. Moreau before finding out they had become rivals.

Oh, thatā€™s what the keys are for. c.c Yowza.

Wow! Okay, that was a session and a half! If nothing else, I am enjoying the strange and varied ways youā€™re shunting canon characters into this otherwise original setting.

Yeah, I also thought it was funny that his bio is so much longer!

2 Likes

X-Celerateā€™s surname is misspelled ā€œMarson.ā€

Bruce quickly does these summaries during the game and they really donā€™t undergo editing, so little omissions and misspellings are par for the course. Weā€™re just grateful he does them at all.

Kudos for making the first Australian Superteam (as far as I know).

During the first sessionā€™s character creation I put it up to the players as to where the game would be set. Australia won out 3-2. Now I just have to do enough research to throw in a few Australian things to give the game a bit of that flavor. I do not attempt accents though, as that would be terrible.

Nice background, especially that mysterious ā€œOld Man.ā€
Making (almost) all the Heroes part of the same family/company is a nifty idea.

Thanks! I find the more specific the frame for the campaign is, the easier it is to get everyone on the same page. So itā€™s not just a superhero game, itā€™s a superhero game about running a family business that fights giant monsters.

I donā€™t know why, but for some reason Spite and Baron Blade being in Australia just seems funny to me.

While doing character creation, I encouraged the players to throw some references to existing SotM villains. I mean, Baron Blade is definitely a multinational villain. Spite in Australia seems a little weirder, but thereā€™s no specific reason he couldnā€™t turn up there. Iā€™m not sticking super-closely to established SotM canon anyway.

It seems like the Group Table at the top of the write-up is missing Nightwalker.

Nightwalker is actually an NPC. For these sessions he was a d10 lieutenant, but I do have a full hero write-up for him that I may use at some point.

Itā€™s fun to see one of @FrivYetiā€™s Environments being used in actual play!

Yeah, I love those environments, and if you continue to follow our sessions youā€™ll probably see more of them pop up.

2 Likes

ā€¦Iā€™m sorry, keys?
Oh, thatā€™s what the keys are for. c.c Yowza.

That part is entirely the playerā€™s idea. He loves the idea he is using teleportation and speed to leave his keys inside the bad guys. The idea of a key donation barrel was also entirely his thing, but I thought it was way too funny.

ā€¦Iā€™m sorry, Onyxia? XD Did Ambuscade get any DKP off that wipe?

So of course what I actually said was everyone had seen Ansel G. Moreau on TV taking out Nixious the Chosen with a flamethrower and shielding Mainstay from Borr the Unstable with his own body. Our scribe, Bruce, has never played the Sentinels card game and has only a peripheral knowledge of the characters from that game, so he just wrote what he thought he heard.

Not enough people use the phrase ā€œin high dudgeonā€ enough these days. :slight_smile:

Bruce has that kind of vocabulary!

Iā€™m guessing Nightstalker had a great deal of admiration for Ansel G. Moreau before finding out they had become rivals.

Possibly. The players havenā€™t dug into Walkerā€™s motivations yet.

Wow! Okay, that was a session and a half! If nothing else, I am enjoying the strange and varied ways youā€™re shunting canon characters into this otherwise original setting.

I definitely have plans for a few of the Sentinels villains! My thought is that most things that happened before Oblivaeon are canon for this setting, but things after Oblivaeon are my own to play with. Clearly I sent Ansel G. Moreau on a completely different path than the canon version of the character.

3 Likes

Neat! Thanks for sharing these summaries, itā€™s great to see how the game plays for different people, and this one is awesome.

And itā€™s a delight to see one of my environments in play and working out. Looking forward to seeing what others you can adapt!

1 Like

Ah! Iā€™d been wondering about that myself! :slight_smile:

Oh, thatā€™s cool. :smiley: You got a newbie into the game world!

1 Like

I normally donā€™t enjoy Kaiju stuff, but I am liking this!

Just to be clear, that wasnā€™t intended as a criticism; rather, it was a simple heads-up.

ā€œTerribleā€ as in youā€™re bad at accents or ā€œterribleā€ as in it would be in poor taste?

I quite agree!

I can definitely see your points.

I just want to say that Dynamo Joe is a great supername, and also probably my favourite of these characters.

Yeah! Funding problems! Corporate rivals!

Excellent use of Ambuscade and his completely-never-before-seen minions. I highly approve.

Huh, thatā€™s awfully strange; I wonder whatever happened to Conteh Energyā€™s owner, and why is there a picture of a completely-random crocodile at Conteh Energy?

He spits up a cloud of yellow dust. He elects to do the responsible thing and tell nobody.

Of course. What else could you do?

Why is there a picture of Dr. Broussard in a bikini?

Wait a minute, is it possible that Nightstalker chose his hero-name in emulation of Ambuscadeā€™s Night Hunter persona?

Yā€™know, now that I think about it, Nightstalker kinda reminds a bit of @mistergoneā€™s NPC Starshadow in his Alternates game which he posts recaps of on here.

As the only canon Australian Hero, I expect Parse to show up in this eventually.

1 Like

Oh, this would make a lot of sense, wouldnā€™t itā€¦

1 Like

Both, I guess. If I could do a good accent it wouldnā€™t be offensive, but to do a bad one reflects badly on everyone.

Tim had just read The Murderbot Diaries and was really struggling with coming up with a name other than ā€œMurderbot.ā€ But he got there in the end!

Mysteries aboundā€¦ I donā€™t know if any of my players know the metafiction enough to have made that connection.

I claim no responsibility for that. Ernest found those pictures on the internet and insisted thatā€™s what Dr. Broussard looks like. Honestly, in my mind I was picturing a more solidly built woman. But I always view world-building as a consensual activity, so I let it ride. Iā€™m pretty sure Ernest snuck in after Bruce completed the session summary and pasted those images in there.

Well, Ambuscade never became Night Hunter in my setting, he took a different path. The name Nightwalker is one I came up with after considering many variations of names with ā€˜Nightā€™ or ā€˜Darkā€™ or ā€˜Shadowā€™ in them. Itā€™s tough because there are already so many characters in comic fiction with names like that. I expected ā€˜streetwalkerā€™ jokes and of course it was one of the first things the players said.

I read @mistergone 's recaps and enjoy them, but there wasnā€™t any intentional connection.

I hadnā€™t thought of that but itā€™s a good idea.

2 Likes

True, Ansel G. Moreau never became the hero Night Hunter in your timeline, but it is possible (and likely) that he did play the character Night Hunter in the famous Night Hunter movie franchise back in his acting days (before he was disfigure by his horrible scar). Whether Nightwalker knows that Ansel G. Moreau and Ambuscade are one and the same, and wether heā€™d base his name on the movie character, are up to debate, of course.