Sentinels and Marvels

Author’s Note: Greetings. As you might have been able to tell from the title, this is a Sentinels/Marvel crossover. This is actually a cross-post from Fanfiction Dot Net. Not sure if that’s allowed but I felt the need to bring it up as I go by a different name on the site so if you read it there first you might think I was plagiarizing. I am not. Anyways, in regards to Sentinels, this will mostly be based around the Card Game though some RPG slips in. Meanwhile, the Marvel stuff will be based around a lot of different continuities. Comics, TV Shows, Movies, Video Games, etc. Admittedly, probably mostly movies because that’s my main exposure to Marvel but there’s probably gonna be a lot of Video Game stuff in there too.

There’s also going to be some other crossovers that are a surprise which… kind of happened, I guess. I’ll try to keep the Sentinels and Marvel stuff at the forefront, though. Side note: I can’t seem to figure out how to center text on this site so that’s why the page breaks and chapter titles aren’t centered.

Sentinels of the Multiverse and all related characters and concepts are property of Greater than Games (but you knew that).

All Marvel Characters and Concepts are property of Marvel Comics (But you also knew that).

Prologue: The Wraith and the Panther

Prologue

The Wraith and the Panther

Night had fallen on Megalopolis. That was how Maia Montgomery aka the Wraith liked it. Sure she could fight crime with the best of them in broad daylight but she very much preferred the dark.

Normally around this time she’d be out patrolling Rook City. But tonight was different. There had been rumors of some shady dealings going down by the docks. Normally the police might handle this but there were implications that the deal might be supervillainous in nature and, since the Wraith was the only member of the Freedom Five available (Paul was at a charity event in New York, Tyler was on a forced vacation, Dr. Stinson was off who knows where doing “science stuff” as she referred to it, and Ryan’s suit was broken yet again), she was the one on the case.

From her position halfway up a nearby crane, she could see the suite of derelict warehouses where the deal was supposed to take place. What was it with supervillains and warehouses? Weren’t there more pleasant places to hold secret meetings or set up evil lairs?

After an hour of watching, the Wraith caught sight of a nondescript motor boat. The boat made little noise as it pulled up to the dock. According to her eyepiece, it was giving out minimal emissions. Apparently whoever was doing this deal was apparently environmentally conscious. Or they were just trying to leave as little of a trail as possible.

The boat’s passengers began to disembark. The Wraith tapped her eyepiece to zoom in on the scene. Five people wearing the standard green outfits of Blade Battalion soldiers had exited the boat and headed towards one of the warehouses with a sixth staying behind to guard the vehicle. This wasn’t good. If Baron Blade was making shady black market deals there was no telling what he could be planning.

As soon as the soldiers entered the warehouse, the Wraith leaped from the crane down onto a lamppost next to where the boat was docked and then from there she silently jumped down behind the soldier guarding the boat before striking him at the base of his neck, knocking him out. She grabbed the soldier’s unconscious body and placed it in the boat gently.

The Wraith turned her attention to the warehouse the other five goons had entered. From the crane she had seen that the warehouse had a skylight. The perfect place for spying. She snuck over to the building and once she was close enough she pulled out her grappling gun, aimed it upwards, and pulled the trigger. The extra strength rope came out at high speed, latching onto the edge of the building with the four pronged hook at the end. The Wraith pressed the trigger again, allowing the gun to pull her up to the warehouse’s roof where she landed in a crouch.

Standing up and dusting herself off, she casually walked over to the skylight and looked down through it. The Blade Battalion grunts were there along with two gunmen flanking a ragged looking man with a metal left arm who the Wraith recognized the man as Ulysses Klaue, a well known, possibly insane arms dealer. Four more gunmen were positioned on the warehouse’s catwalks, two on each side of the room.

Klaue passed a crate on a trolley over to the grunt who opened it just enough to check what was inside. The Wraith couldn’t see the contents of the crate from where she was but she did see a purple glow.

The Wraith had seen everything she needed to see. It was time for action. She checked the skylight. There was a latch. Good, she wouldn’t have to pick glass out of her cape later.

She unhooked the latch and slowly opened the skylight. However, before she could jump down, a shadowy figure leaped out of nowhere and tackled one of the gunmen on the catwalk opposite her, knocking him out. The figure then kicked the second one in the face, knocking him out as well. The two gunmen on the other catwalk fired at the figure but the bullets just bounced off of them with no effect.

It was at that point that the Wraith decided to join the fight. While this figure seemed to be doing just fine on their own, the Wraith had been working with bulletproof people for too long and knew very well that they tended to be not as invincible as you might first think. She jumped down through the skylight and onto one of the two gunmen on the catwalk below her. Before the second one could react she knocked him out with a punch to the face.

The figure on the opposite catwalk turned to look at her and the Wraith finally recognized who it was, King T’challa aka the Black Panther. The King of Wakanda gave her a curt nod and leaped from his catwalk (no pun intended) and kicked one of the gunmen flanking Klaue in the face, causing Klaue himself to flee behind a crate. The other gunman, meanwhile, fired at Black Panther which, obviously, didn’t work. Panther simply walked up to him casually, grabbed his gun, and bashed him over the head with it.

Black Panther turned to face the Blade Battalion goons who had been standing there, shocked. As soon as the Panther looked at them, two of them began wheeling away the crate while the other three began firing at Black Panther. Panther didn’t bother dodging, expecting the goons’ bullets to bounce off his suit. Unfortunately, the goons weren’t using bullets. As was standard for the Blade Battalion, each soldier was equipped with a bona fide energy weapon. In other words, lasers. When they fired, they hit Panther in the chest and he was knocked backwards.

The Wraith came to the rescue, leaping down from the catwalk and onto a Blade Battalion soldier. Before the other two could react she turned and delivered a kick to one and then proceeding to grab the one she kicked and throw him into the other one.

The last two battalion soldiers began wheeling away the crate faster. Without even looking, she threw two of her razor ordinance at them. As they flew, the ordinance each split into two, revealing a rope contained within, and wrapped around the goons, tying them up and causing them to fall to the ground.

She walked over to the crate Panther had been knocked into. The king had recovered quickly from the blast but not quickly enough to provide the Wraith with aid against the Blade Battalion soldiers, not that she needed it.

“King T’challa.” The Wraith said cordially.

“The Wraith.” Panther replied.

“You’ve heard of me.” The Wraith said, casually throwing a knife at Klaue, who had decided to attempt and attack them while they were distracted. The knife embedded itself in his metal arm which for some reason exploded, causing him to fall to the ground and hit his head hard enough to black out.

“Hard not to with a reputation like yours.” Panther replied.

“So what do you think Baron Blade wants with vibranium?” The Wraith asked.

“Your reputation precedes you.” Panther said, impressed. “Nobody said anything about the contents of these crates.”

“It wasn’t that hard.” The Wraith said casually. She walked over to the crate the Blade Battalion soldiers were wheeling. “It glows purple and is important enough for you to show up personally. There aren’t a lot of things that do that. Just one, actually.” She pulled the lid off the crate to reveal, of course, vibranium. And a lot of it.

Panther nodded, non-verbally conceding her point. “Yes, well, thank you for your assistance.” He began looking over the vibranium, making sure it was in order.

Meanwhile, the Wraith kneeled down over one of the Battalion Soldiers. She planned to wake him up but noticed something odd. Some sort of red glow through his goggles. She quickly pulled his mask off, revealing the goon to have a rather average (if beat up) face. Except something was wrong with his eyes. They were blank white with some sort of red symbol in the center. It looked kind of like an eye. An eye within an eye.

The symbol faded and the goon’s eyes returned to normal just as he regained consciousness. He glanced around in panic with his now normal brown eyes.

“Where am I!” He shouted. “What’s going on!”

The Wraith ignored him. She was still thinking about the symbol. She didn’t know what it meant but one thing was for certain: Baron Blade wasn’t behind this.

emphasized textAuthor’s Note: Huh, I don’t actually have anything to say up here. Unusual. Enjoy the story, I guess.

Chapter 1: From France, With Love

Chapter 1
From France, With Love

Dr. Meredith Stinson aka Tachyon stood at one of her many computers, typing away. She was often told that she was old fashioned for using so many computer monitors. Tony Stark had offered to set her up with one of his holographic systems but she turned him down. She just preferred dashing from computer to computer, just as she preferred dashing from experiment to experiment. In short, she did it because she liked going fast.

Next to her was Maia, intently watching her screen.

“I’ve done some research on that symbol you showed me, Maia.” Meredith said.

Maia gave her an annoyed glance. She didn’t like it when they used her real name when she was in costume. “You never know who might be listening,” she would say even though everyone was sure that Freedom Tower, and especially Meredith’s lab, were almost impossible to bug.

Meredith rolled her eyes. “Fine, the Wraith. Anyways, I did some research on that symbol you showed me and all I could find was a single ping: a teenage girl’s blog.”

Maia raised an eyebrow. “That’s it?”

Meredith nodded. “Yes, it describes strange goings ons at her school, Kadic Academy. Animal attacks, appliances coming to life, time resetting. And every time she always sees the same symbol. Look, she drew a picture of it.”

Meredith stepped aside so Maia could see. The symbol was identical to the one in the Blade Battalion Soldier’s eyes.

“Wait, back up, time resetting?” Maia asked. “Wouldn’t someone notice that? Like Doctor Strange or the Foundation?”

“You would think.” Meredith replied. “That’s why I asked S.H.I.E.L.D to look into it.”

As if summoned by her mention of the organization, the biggest monitor in the room, which she used exclusively for video calls, registered a call from an “unknown number”. Meredith zipped over and pressed the answer button causing the face of Director Nick Fury himself to fill the screen.

“Speak of the devil.” Maia snarked.

“Director Fury, have you found anything?” Meredith asked politely.

“We’ve made some inquiries with various parties.” Fury replied. “Unfortunately, we were unable to get in contact with Doctor Strange but our liaison with the Foundation informed us that two years ago their Time Travel Division had detected some odd readings from a factory in Paris immediately before they shut it down as a result of restructuring.”

“Great!” Meredith said. “Let’s get investigating, then!”

“We’d love to,” Fury said dryly. “But there’s one problem: the factory is in France. We don’t have jurisdiction there.”

“That is a problem.” Meredith said, rubbing her chin and hmm’ing. Her brain literally went a million miles an hour as she tried to think of a solution. She snapped her fingers. “How about I arrange to speak at Kadic Academy. That’s where the blog posts were from. You can send one of your agents with me as a ‘bodyguard.’” She put the word bodyguard in air quotes.

Fury stroked his beard. “That would work. It also reminds me, we did a bit of looking into who was running that blog and it’s a name you’ll recognize: Vanessa Long.”

“What?” Meredith asked, actually surprised. “Does Visionary know about this?”

“She has too.” Maia said. “She probably didn’t tell anyone to keep S.H.I.E.L.D and the Foundation off her back. Let her past self live a somewhat normal life without having surveillance on her twenty-four-seven.”

Meredith returned to rubbing her chin. “That would explain why she remembers things after time resets. Her psychic powers must protect her.”

“Sounds like we’ll have to speak with her.” Fury said.

“I’ll have to speak with her.” Meredith said. “She knows me, anyone you send will probably cause an incident.”

“Fair enough.” Fury replied. “But don’t think we won’t be keeping an eye on her. Fury, out.”

Maia sighed. “This is why I don’t trust government organizations.”

“Technically, we’re a government organization.” Meredith pointed out.

“We’re government funded.” Maia said. “That’s different.”

Briefing: Hey, Maria Hill here. Director Fury asked me to give you the briefing. Kadic Junior High School, also known as Kadic Academy, is a fairly standard combined junior high and high school located in the Sceaux commune in Paris, France. It was founded in the 1870s however the current building was built in the early 1900s.

Also of interest is a nearby abandoned car factory located in the center of the River Seine. Apparently, a few years ago multiple temporal anomalies were detected by the Foundation with the factory at the center. Of course, they didn’t bother to tell anyone or send in people to investigate so it looks like we’ll have to do their job for them. Of course.

One week later, Meredith arrived in Paris with S.H.I.E.L.D Agent and Avenger Clint Barton aka Hawkeye. Officially, he was her bodyguard. After all, she was a high profile scientist. In reality, he was there to investigate the strange occurrences of two years ago. Meredith, meanwhile, was going to talk to Vanessa about her experiences.

Upon arriving Meredith met Principal Sabine Blanche who had taken over two years ago after the previous principal, Jean-Pierre Delmas, had been fired for being really bad at his job.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Dr. Stinson.” Sabine said, shaking her hand.

“Likewise.” Meredith replied, trying her best not to shake the woman’s hand too fast.

“I must ask why you decided to speak here.” Sabine said with a raised eyebrow. “Kadic Academy isn’t a big or important school. Certainly not big enough for a visit from someone as famous as you.” The Principal was perceptive.

“I have my reasons.” Meredith replied.

The Principal nodded. “In that case, I won’t pry any further. Why don’t I show you the auditorium?”

“That would be lovely.” Meredith replied. “I hope you don’t mind if my bodyguard roams the school grounds in order to scope them out.” She winked at Clint.

“Not at all.” Sabine said. “Not at all.”

Clint wasn’t sure why he’d been chosen for this mission. He didn’t know anything about time travel. He could barely understand the powers of his fellow Avengers and he worked with them on a daily basis.

But alas, nobody asked for his opinion. They told him to pose as Dr. Stinson’s bodyguard as a cover to investigate a time traveling factory or something, so that’s what he was doing.

The factory itself, which wasn’t very far from Kadic Academy, didn’t look all that remarkable. It was old and dilapidated. Probably should have been marked for demolition a long time ago. Which, now that he thought about it, made it a pretty good candidate for a supervillain lair.

Of course, it probably wasn’t. Paris didn’t have supervillains. They had those whachamacallems. Akumas. It was part of the reason why American superheroes tended to stay out of France. They just weren’t equipped to deal with it. Instead they had to rely on Paris’ local heroes, Ladybug and Cat Noir, to get the job done and the problem was neither they nor the Americans really liked each other (except for Spider-Man, who had formed quite the rapport with Cat Noir).

As such, Clint entered the factory not expecting to find anyone or anything. And he was right. When he entered the factory, it was empty. Not a person in sight. But then, why did it feel like he was being watched?

It had been two years since the Lyoko Warriors had defeated XANA for good and shut down the Supercomputer. It had taken a while, but it seemed they’d finally gotten the hang of having normal lives again (or for the first time, in Aelita’s case). Even Jeremy, whose life had practically revolved around Lyoko ever since he’d discovered it, had adapted to being a normal, if smarter than average, kid. That’s why it surprised him when the proximity alarm he’d set up around the factory (just in case) went off. He immediately dashed over to check the cameras he had set up along with the alarm. Sure enough, there was a man standing in the factory. He was standing in the shadows so Jeremy couldn’t make out any of his features aside from him being well built but the point was he was there. Jeremy grabbed his phone, dialed Ulrich’s number and asked him to meet him in his room. After that he did the same thing with Odd and Aelita. He couldn’t do the same thing with Yumi, since she lived at home, so he instead asked her to video conference him. Five minutes later, he had gathered all his friends.

“Alright, Einstein, what’s so important you had to interrupt our very important foosball game?” Odd asked.

“Someone’s entered the factory.” Jeremy explained. “A man. I can’t tell you anything about him besides him being built like an archer.”

There was a brief moment of silence before someone spoke.

“So what?” Ulrich asked.

“What do you mean ‘so what?’” Jeremy asked, annoyed. “If we don’t do something he could discover the Supercomputer.”

“What are the odds of that?” Ulrich asked. “We disabled the elevator, remember. Nobody can get down there.”

“What if he jump starts the elevator somehow?” Jeremy asked.

“Jeremy, are you sure you’re not just having a relapse?” Yumi asked, her voice laden with concern.

“Wh-what do you mean?” Jeremy asked.

“She means it’s been two years since we shut down the supercomputer and everything’s been fine.” Aelita said, also concerned. “You might just be looking for threats where there are none.”

“Come on Einstein, everything’s fine.” Odd said. “Why don’t you just calm down and get on with your day. Weren’t you really excited to meet that speaker at the assembly? Dr. Stin-something.”

“Dr. Stinson.” Jeremy corrected.

Odd snapped his fingers. “Yeah.”

Jeremy sighed. “You guys might be right. But I still want to check it out just in case. We’ll be there and back before the assembly even starts, I promise.”

There was another silence. Once again, Ulrich was the one to break it.

“Alright, fine.” Ulrich said. “But remember, you promised.”

Clint was starting to think this whole thing was a huge waste of time. Aside from probably breaking every OSHA guideline in the book, there was nothing notable about this factory. It had a broken elevator but given the building’s age that was hardly unexpected.

Suddenly, he heard a clatter from the catwalk behind him. Quick as a whip, he drew his bow and knocked an arrow, aiming at where the noise came from.

“Who’s there!” He shouted. “Show yourself!”

To his surprise, this actually works. Five kids came out from behind a crate on the catwalk, hands up. Clint did a quick assessment of each of them. Two of them, a tall Japanese girl with black hair and a shorter boy with brown hair, seemed ready for a fight but also visibly nervous. A boy with the weirdest hairstyle Clint had ever seen looked confident enough but was clearly jittery, possible signs of ADHD. A blonde boy with glasses looked extremely nervous and seemed to be scanning the room for ways out of this situation. Finally, a girl with what appeared to be naturally pink hair seemed worried, though she did her best to hide it. Specifically, she seemed more worried for the other kids than herself, constantly glancing between him and them. All in all, none of them seemed to be a threat. Clint lowered his bow.

“What are you kids doing here?” He asked, switching from English to French.

“Um…” The boy with glasses said. “We were… uh…”

“Searching for parts.” The girl with black hair interjected fast. “For Jeremy’s robot.” She pointed at the glasses kid, indicating him as Jeremy.

“Uh… yeah.” Jeremy said. “I’m building a robot for a science project and need parts.”

“Uh-huh.” Clint said skeptically. You didn’t have to be a super spy to spot what an obvious lie that was. “Why don’t you all come down here so we can have a chat.”

“We’d love to.” The black haired girl said. “But there’s no way off the catwalk.”

She was right. For some bizarre reason the catwalk lacked any way to be accessed. However, Clint had an easy solution for this. He returned his arrow to his quiver and took out another one. He aimed straight upwards and fired, causing several of the kids to flinch. The arrow stuck to the ceiling and a rope unfurled from it.

“Climb down that rope.” Clint said.

The kids obliged. Once the five of them were standing before him, Clint put away his bow and crossed his arms.

“Now, why don’t you tell me the real reason you’re here.” He said.

“We were just here to find parts. Really.” The black haired girl insisted.

Clint shook his head. “You’re really bad at lying, you know that.” The girl actually looked mildly offended by that. Clint continued. “I think that you knew I was going to be here. In fact, you’re here because of me being here. Am I right?”

The five of them shifted awkwardly, indicating that Clint had hit the nail on the head.

“Just who are you kids?” Clint asked.

The kids didn’t answer. Instead, they stared at him in fear. No, that wasn’t right, they were staring behind him. Clint sighed and turned around to see a massive, vaguely humanoid monstrosity made of metal and wires. It had a round head with a single red eye at the center.

Clint sighed again. “Well nuts.”

From the moment Vanessa had heard Dr. Stinson was coming to speak, she knew she was going to be called to the principal’s office. She was sure there was only one reason for Tachyon to come to a school like Kadic and that was to talk to her. Was she being paranoid? Maybe. But considering what she’d been through in the past she kind of had to be. Besides, she was usually right. At the very least, she was right in this case. She had been called to the principal’s office, just like she thought she would.

As she entered the main office, the secretary gave her a curt nod and gestured to the door to the principal’s office. Vanessa went through the door and, as she expected, Dr. Stinson was sitting there along with Principal Blanche.

The moment she looked at the Fastest Woman Alive she was immediately hit with a barrage of thoughts. She was usually good at blocking out other people’s thoughts using techniques her older self taught her, but Dr. Stinson’s thoughts were loud. Worse, they were incredibly fast. Even if she wanted to hear what she was thinking, which she didn’t, Dr. Stinson’s thoughts went by so fast she couldn’t catch a single word going through her head. It might as well have been white noise.

“Principal Blanche, could you leave us?” Dr. Stinson asked.

“Yes, of course.” Principal Blanche replied.

She stood up and exited the room, closing the door behind her. This was it, Vanessa was essentially trapped. Unless she wanted to use her powers and she most certainly didn’t want to.

“Vanessa.” Dr. Stinson said. “It’s been a long time. How are you?” She spoke in English rather than the French she had been using with Principal Blanche.

“I’m fine.” Vanessa said neutrally. “Or, at least, I was fine.”

“Excellent.” Dr. Stinson said. “I assume you know why I’m here.”

“If you’re asking if I can read your mind the answer is no, your thoughts are too fast.” Vanessa replied. “I can hazard a few guesses, though.” She raised a suspicious eyebrow.

Though she had no idea what she was thinking, Vanessa was pretty sure Dr. Stinson was resisting the urge to pester her with questions about her powers. Instead, seemingly reading her mind without psychic powers, she attempted to reassure her.

“If you think I’m here to take you away or establish surveillance, I swear I’m not.” Dr. Stinson said. “I made sure to remove all the bugs S.H.I.E.L.D attempted to put on me-”

“S.H.I.E.L.D’s here!” Vanessa shouted, suddenly panicked. She remembered the men in suits who tried to take her away before her older self stepped in to rescue her.

“Calm down.” Dr. Stinson said, attempting to sound soothing. “The only S.H.I.E.L.D Agent here is Agent Barton and he’s far away right now. I even turned off my communicator and left it in the other room to keep him from listening in.” She held up her hands to reveal that her wrists did indeed lack a communicator of any kind.

Vanessa took a deep breath. “Okay. Okay. I’m fine. Everything’s fine.”

“All I want to do is ask you a few questions about two years ago.” Dr. Stinson replied. Her use of the word “I” instead of “we” was clearly a careful choice to avoid alarming her. “The Wraith and I were doing research and came across your blog.”

Internally, Vanessa cursed. That blog had been a terrible idea. The only reason she hadn’t deleted it was because she forgot her password.

Behind Dr. Stinson, a marble on Principal Blanche’s desk rose up and flew towards her. Without even looking, Dr. Stinson caught it. She moved so fast it appeared that her arm had changed positions instantaneously.

“Vanessa, please don’t pelt me with marbles.” Dr. Stinson said.

“That… wasn’t me.” Vanessa said as another marble flew at Dr. Stinson. She caught that one too.

“Then who-” Dr. Stinson began but she was interrupted by a sound like an old dial up computer. She whipped around to come face to face with a bunch of floating office supplies vaguely resembling a creature of some sort. At the center of the supplies was a floating computer with a red eye on the screen. The same eye she always saw two years ago. It flowed menacingly.

“Vanessa, run!” Dr. Stinson shouted. “Actually, scratch that!”

She grabbed Vanessa and zipped out of the room, accidentally breaking the door in the process. Behind them, the bizarre office supplies creature fired staples at them with the same force as a bullet from a gun. She placed Vanessa down and pointed to the door out of the main office.

“Now run!” She ordered. She pointed at the Secretary. “You too!”

As soon as the Secretary and Vanessa had exited, she grabbed her wrist com off the Secretary’s desk. She fiddled with it, slipped it onto her wrist, and held it up to her mouth.

“Agent Barton!” She shouted. “Clint! Are you there!”

Author’s Note: Haha! I tricked you! This isn’t a Sentinels/Marvel crossover at all! It’s a Code Lyoko fanfic!

I’m kidding, obviously. I actually didn’t plan this. My original plan was to do something cosmic-y. Bring in the Guardians of the Galaxy or something. Then I just happened to be watching an episode of Code Lyoko and the idea struck me to include it here. Then I included the Miraculous Ladybug reference and it just went from there. I promise that I’ll at least try to keep the Sentinels and Marvel stuff at the forefront, though. Yeah, this is probably the point where most people’ll jump ship. At least I got it out of the way early.

I realize the title of the chapter is weird in the context of the chapter, given that it doesn’t resemble the movie I’m referencing at all but I had trouble coming up with a chapter title. I originally wanted to go with the same naming scheme as the previous chapter but I couldn’t come up with a shorthand for Tachyon. Like, what am I supposed to call her? The Particle? I can’t go with the Speedster because there are other speedsters in the universe and I definitely couldn’t go with the scientist because, like, half the characters in both the Marvel and Sentinels universes are scientists. So I went with a dumb pun on a James Bond movie.

You might be wondering what’s up with that whole mission briefing thing partway through. Well, I’ve recently replayed LEGO Marvel Superheroes where each level begins with a mission briefing from Maria Hill (complete with spinning Lego models of the location you’re going to) and I like the idea so there you go. This is presumably something I’ll do regularly when I reach a point that I would consider a new “level.” Also, just assume that unless stated otherwise, Hill’s the one giving the briefing.

Mildly interesting tidbit: it actually took me a bit to decide the identity of the student at Kadic who remembered the XANA attacks after Return to the Past. My first idea was a young Jean Grey but I wasn’t sure if her powers would be sufficient enough to protect her from time alterations. At least, not without the full power of the Phoenix Force. So I went back to the drawing board and considered young characters who were at the very least associated with time and it hit me. Visionary aka Vanessia Long is a precog even on her lowest power level and at full power she’s strong enough to shunt herself across realities (though that’s kind of a one time thing and she’ll probably die if she tries again). So I figured that of course she’d be immune to short term time alterations, as would her younger self (it’s a long story). Thus, young Vanessa Long was the right choice. I still had to age her up to high school age (specifically, somewhere around Junior age as I’m going with the idea that she came to the school as a Freshman (making her one grade below the Lyoko Warriors except for Yumi who she’s two grades below) just as the XANA stuff started and it’s been two years since then which would put her in Junior year) but it’s my fanfic and I can do what I want.

Code Lyoko and all related characters and concepts are owned by… someone. It’s actually really complicated. Check the wiki, they have a page on it.

Miraculous Ladybug and all related characters and concepts are owned by Zagtoon, Method Animation, Toei Animation, and SAMG Animation. I think.

Author’s Note: You know, this was supposed to just be a series of vignettes. There wasn’t supposed to be a big plot. Ah well, when life gives you lemons you make a lemon cannon. Or however that goes. Does that phrase even apply here?

I actually don’t have anything to say up here. Or, if I did I forgot. I’ve got plenty to say below, though, so see you then.

Chapter 2: XANA Attacks

Chapter 2
XANA Attacks

The metal monster raised an arm and attempted to slam Clint. Fortunately, it was slow, giving him plenty of time to dodge out of the way.

“Run!” He shouted at the five kids.

Unfortunately, since the only way out was via a single rope, there weren’t many places to run. The kids settled for hiding instead.

Clint whipped his bow out. He fired three explosive arrows at the monster in quick succession. They hit dead on (hard not to when you’re the world’s greatest archer firing point blank at a target the size of a minivan) and yet, nothing happened. The monster was completely unaffected.

“Nuts.” Clint muttered. The monster tried to smash him again and he jumped out of the way. It looked like he wasn’t going to be able to do this alone. He rolled over behind a crate next to the elevator and tapped at his wrist com. “Dr. Stinson! Dr. Stinson, hello!” Nothing. Her wrist com must have been off.

Suddenly, there was a very loud noise. The kid with weird hair leaped out from behind the crate he was hiding behind.

“Banzai!” He shouted. Why he was using a traditionally Japanese battle cry, Clint had no idea. Probably heard it in an anime or something.

The boy waved his arms at the metal monstrosity. “Hey metal head! Bet you can’t catch me!”

“What the hell are you doing, kid!” Clint shouted.

“Something stupid!” The kid shouted back, running around behind the monster to avoid its fist.

Well he got that right. It wasn’t the stupidest thing he’d ever seen, it didn’t even make the top 50, but it was still pretty stupid. However, like most stupid things, it made for a pretty effective distraction which seemed to be what he was aiming for because as soon as he ran out there, Jeremy did his best to sneak over to the keypad on the elevator, pulled the outer casing off, and began tinkering with it. Clint moved closer to him.

“That thing’s busted.” He said. “You’re never gonna get it working.”

“Of course I will.” Jeremy replied, trying to keep his voice calm. “I’m the one who broke it, after all.”

“You… what?” Clint asked.

“I’ll explain once we’re safe.” Jeremy said, snapping the casing back into place and entering a code. He made a beckoning motion to the others. “Come on!”

The rest of the kids hurried into the elevator along with Jeremy. Deciding he had nothing to really lose by doing so, Clint followed suit.

“Odd, come on!” The tall girl shouted.

“Coming!” The weird haired kid, Odd, shouted back. He just barely dodged a punch from the metal monstrosity and ran towards the elevator, hitting the ground and sliding through like a baseball player just in time for the doors to close.

They exited the elevator into some sort of computer room. At the center was what looked like a hologram projector (Clint had seen plenty before) and at the side was a standard issue monitor and keyboard hanging from the ceiling along with a chair affixed to a track in the floor. Admittedly not the weirdest computer setup Clint had ever seen but still pretty weird.

Jeremy hopped into the chair and began typing but nothing showed up on the screen.

“Darn it.” He muttered. Then he said louder. “Ulrich, could you check to see if the supercomputer is online?”

The brown haired kid, Ulrich apparently, nodded. “On it.” He ran over to a ladder emerging from a hole in a corner and slid down it.

Clint put away his bow, walked over to stand next to Jeremy, and crossed his arms. “Alright, it’s about time for that explanation. Who are you kids, what was that thing, what is this place, and why does that kid have such weird hair.” He jabbed a finger at Odd.

“Hey!” He shouted indignantly. Everyone ignored him.

“Do you want the long version or the short version?” Jeremy asked.

“The short version.” Clint replied.

“I’m Jeremy, that’s Yumi, Aelita, and Odd,” Jeremy explained. He pointed to the tall girl, the pink haired girl, and the kid with weird hair respectively. “The one I sent to check on the supercomputer is Ulrich. The metal monster that attacked us was a creation of XANA.”

Clint raised an eyebrow. “What’s XANA?”

“A malevolent computer program.” Jeremy explained.

“A computer program?” Clint asked skeptically. “That didn’t look like a computer to me.”

Odd shrugged. “XANA’s weird like that.”

Ulrich popped his head out of the hole. “We’re all good here. The supercomputer is offline.”

“That doesn’t make any sense.” Jeremy said. “If the supercomputer is offline then XANA shouldn’t be able to attack.”

“Even if the supercomputer was online it shouldn’t be able to attack.” Yumi pointed out. “We destroyed it years ago.”

“Wait, you destroyed it?” Clint asked, surprised. He held his hands up. “Okay, I’m not going to ask, but once I destroy that thing you’re coming in for questioning.”

“Questioning?” Ulrich echoed suspiciously. “What are you some kind of cop?”

“Something like that.” Clint responded. At that very moment his wrist communicator buzzed and Dr. Stinson’s voice came out of it.

“Agent Barton!” She shouted. “Clint! Are you there!”

Clint tapped the com. “Yeah, I’m here. What do you need.”

A crash sounded from the other end of the line. “Some sort of… office supplies monster is attacking the school. I could use some help here.”

Two monsters in one day, that can’t have been a coincidence.

“I’d love to but I’ve currently got my own monster situation to deal with.” Clint replied.

“That can’t be a coincidence.” Dr. Stinson replied, echoing Clint’s own thoughts. “Well, once you’re finished with your monster you know where to find me. And if I finish first I’ll come and find you.”

“Copy that.” Clint said and the line went silent… He turned to the five kids and pointed at the ground. “You kids stay here. I’m going back out there.”

Yumi crossed her arms. “To do what? That thing brushed off three explosions.”

“I don’t know.” Clint admitted with an exasperated shrug. “But I need to stop that thing before it decides to just jump down the elevator shaft and tear us all to shreds.”

“But you can’t just go out there without a plan.” Yumi pointed out.

Clint turned away and rubbed his temples. “I can’t believe I’m listening to a bunch of kids.” He muttered before turning back and saying in a normal voice. “Alright, if you’re so smart what do you suggest?”

“Well,” Jeremy said. “I think we might be able to use electricity to shock XANA out of that monstrosity. I don’t suppose any of those arrows you’re carrying can induce electric shocks.”

“Of course they can.” Clint replied. “I’ve got an arrow for everything.” He took a shock arrow out of his quiver and spun it around.

The first thing that happened after Meredith finished speaking with Clint was that the office supplies creature charged her and knocked her out of the window straight into the Refectory Courtyard. This was a problem (well, more of a problem than it would usually be) because the Refectory Courtyard was full of students who immediately panicked and ran in all directions. Some of them stayed outside while others ran to the cafeteria building. None of them ran for the exits.

The good news was she was good at crowd control, as that was usually her job when fighting alongside the Freedom Five, the bad news was that she was fighting alone meaning she had to both avoid the office supplies beast and get everyone out of there.

“Yeah, I can do this.” She said to herself.

First order of business, the kids outside. Other than herself, they were at the greatest risk. She zoomed over to a group of students hiding behind an overturned table. Well, mostly. One of the students seemed to be filming the monster and another was standing up with a microphone like a news reporter.

“This is Milly Solovieff reporting live from the Refectory Courtyard…” The girl with the microphone said.

“Uh, Milly, we’re not live.” The girl with the camera whispered.

“Oh…” The girl with the microphone replied. She cleared her throat. “Anyways, as you can see a monster made of office supplies is attacking the school. No, this isn’t a joke.” I-” Before Milly could continue, Meredith interrupted her.

“Alright, kids, I know the monster is exciting but you need to get out of here.” She said evenly.

“You’ve got to be kidding.” Milly replied. “This is the scoop of the century.”

Internally, Meredith sighed. Reporters were always frustrating to deal with.

“It doesn’t matter.” She said out loud. “It’s dangerous here. You need to get to the exit in a calm and orderly manner. Now, when I say “go” then go. Understand?”

“Well you don’t have to tell me twice.” A dopey sounding boy said.

“Yes.” Milly and the camera girl said despondently.

Meredith nodded. “Good. Now go!” She zipped off towards the monster, briefly checking behind her to see if the kids were going towards the exit. They were.

She raised her fist and punched the monster in it’s monitor. Then she punched it again. And again and again and again at rapid speed, seriously denting it. The monster, for obvious reasons, did not like this and moved to grab her with its giant hand which, somehow, was made entirely of pencils. Meredith had plenty of time to ponder how the monster had gotten so many pencils while she stepped backwards to dodge its grab. Eventually she gave up as, despite being a genius, she simply could not figure it out.

Regardless, it seemed making hands wasn’t the only thing the pencils did. They also made great projectiles as demonstrated when the monster fired a few from its hands. Meredith, of course, dodged these easily but realized too late that she wasn’t the only one in danger.

A girl with black hair and a pink shirt that she hadn’t noticed before was standing right in the middle of the courtyard, paralyzed by fear. It seemed she had been late in following Meredith’s order to run and was now caught in the crossfire. The girl screamed and Meredith made to run and grab the girl but before she could a purple bubble sprung up around her. The pencils bounced harmlessly off it… Seemingly unaware of this, the girl continued screaming for a few seconds before realizing that she was fine.

“I’ve got her!” A voice shouted from the left.

Meredith turned to see Vanessa of all people standing there with her fingers to her temple. There was a look of concentration on her face

“Vanessa?” Meredith asked, surprised.

“Turns out I might have the hero bug.” Vanessa admitted.

Meredith wanted to object. She wasn’t a fan of kids getting involved in hero work. At least, not without proper training. But right now, she could use all the help she could get. She nodded.

“Get her to the cafeteria.” She ordered. “Then, stay there and protect whoever’s inside.”

“Right.” Vanessa replied.

She dropped the bubble and psychically lifted the pink shirt red girl into the air, causing her to once again panic. Vanessa did her best to ignore this as she pulled her away towards the cafeteria.

The metal monstrosity was still roaming the factory floor when Clint, along with the kids, reached the top of the elevator. The plan was simple: the kids served as distractions while Clint hit the thing with his arrows. Clint wasn’t a fan of this plan but apparently the kids had done stuff like this before. Not exactly like this but pretty similar.

As soon as the elevator door opened, Odd rushed out.

“Hey metal mouth!” He shouted, waving his arms. “Come and get me!”

The metal monster roared and attempted to slam its fist down on Odd, whose eyes widened as he dodged out of the way. He darted off and the metal monster began to lumber after him. Ulrich saw his opportunity and dashed behind it.

“Hey, you! Come and get me!” He shouted.

The metal monster slowly turned around. It seemed to do everything slowly, which was good. As it turned, Clint took his chance and released three shock arrows onto it. Two hit one arm each and a third hit it square in the back. The arrows released an electric shock that ran through the whole monster. Thankfully, the floor of the factory was made of stone so the charge simply ran into the ground and dissipated.

As the electricity ran through the monster, a black smoke began emanating from it. And as more smoke came off it the monster broke down, pieces falling off as it slowly sunk to the ground…

“There!” Jeremy shouted, pointing at the smoke. “That’s XANA!”

“Alright, what do I do now?” Clint asked.

“Nothing unless it starts up again.” Jeremy replied. “In my experience, XANA’s smoke is a one use trick.”

And so they waited, Clint with his bow trained on it. Eventually, the glowing eye on the monster faded away and it lay in a crumpled heap. XANA’s smoke encircled the monster and eventually dissipated.

“Well, that was-” Odd began but Clint cut him off.

“Don’t finish that sentence.” He said. “Just don’t.”

Vanessa watched as Dr. Stinson fought the office supplies monster. It seemed to be capable of adapting, figuring out that Dr. Stinson was a purely melee fighter so was doing its best to keep its distance and keep her on the defensive to prevent her from getting too close.

That definitely wasn’t good. Dr. Stinson was fast but eventually she’d tire out or the monster would get her. Vanessa wasn’t sure what would happen then but it probably wouldn’t be good for Dr. Stinson or the students. Vanessa was doing her best to keep a mental shield up around the cafeteria. Like Dr. Stinson, she couldn’t keep this up forever and would eventually tire out, leaving the students at the mercy of the monster if Dr. Stinson failed.

And, too Vanessa’s shock, she did fail. At least, in her eyes. The monster somehow managed to grab the Fastest Woman Alive. While it was highly likely that Dr. Stinson could escape the monster’s grip easily, Vanessa’s tendency to assume the worst kicked in and she was sure this was the end. Unless she did something.

Impulsively, she dropped the shield. She reached her hand out and a purple glow surrounded the monster. It released Dr. Stinson and then began to collapse inwards on itself in a scene that would be horrifying if the monster weren’t made of office supplies. Slowly it crumpled until all that was left was a tiny ball which fell to the ground, likely violating several laws of physics.Then again, having psychic powers probably violated the laws of physics so it didn’t really matter.

The other students, already on edge from Vanessa’s earlier displays of psychic power, stared at her in horror. Even though the monster wasn’t flesh and blood the level of power Vanessa had displayed was immense. And unlike in America, where superheroes were quite common,displays of superpowers in France were usually an indication of an Akuma attack.

Vanessa sighed. “Great. Just great.”

“Why am I here again?” Tony asked.

Tony Stark aka Iron Man stood in his Holographic Communication Chamber or, as he liked to call it, his Holodeck. Unfortunately, he couldn’t officially call it that as the name was trademarked but such was life.

The Holographic Communication Chamber allowed one to not only communicate with someone via hologram but also to create a holographic simulation of the room that the person you were communicating with was in. It was as if you were in the room with them. And all they needed was a small device that would scan the room and project a hologram of just you. It was going to revolutionize communication… as soon as Tony could find a way to mass produce it that wouldn’t bankrupt his company.

For now, the HCC would have to be restricted to use for Avengers business only, which was what Tony was doing right now. Clint had called him in, alongside Hank Pym, to help interrogate a couple of kids. He wasn’t entirely sure why, considering Clint was a professional spy and really shouldn’t need his or Hank’s help.

“You and Hank are our top experts in the field of Artificial Intelligence.” Clint explained.

“And?” Tony asked. “What does that have to do with-” His eyes widened. “Wait, are you saying these kids found an AI?” Tony looked at the five kids before them. They were certainly some of the oddest looking kids he’d ever seen. Particularly the boy whose hair seemed to stick straight up.

One of the kids, a nerdy looking boy with blonde hair and glasses, started talking faster than Tony could keep up. Granted, even if he could keep up he wouldn’t understand what he was saying considering he was speaking French.

Tony held his hand up. “Hold on. I took Spanish in High School, not French.” Thankfully, assuming the kid didn’t speak English, the stopping gesture was universal and the kid stopped talking. “J.A.R.V.I.S, activate the translation filter.”

The translation filter was another invention of Tony’s with help from Reed Richards aka Mister Fantastic. Reverse engineered from alien tech, particularly that of the Maerynians, it could translate almost any language on earth and quite a few that weren’t thus allowing for anybody from anywhere to have a two way conversation with almost zero issue. Unfortunately, they hadn’t figured out how to make it work outside of a phone call or similar form of communication so it was still quite limited. It was planned for release next year, albeit with the alien languages removed, as a joint product of Stark Industries and Richards Incorporated.

“Activating translation filter.” J.A.R.V.I.S said.

“Okay, I’m good to go.” Tony said, making a thumbs up.

The kids introduced themselves to Tony and Hank and explained everything to them. About XANA. About Lyoko. About everything. Well, almost everything. Tony had a feeling there were still a few things they were hiding but it wasn’t any of his business. And if he did get curious he could always hack, sorry, ask S.H.I.E.L.D later.

“Any thoughts?” Clint asked the two super scientists.

Hank stroked his beard. “Hopper… Hopper…” He snapped his fingers. “I knew a man by the name of Franz Hopper a long time ago. He was a genius. Nobody knew more about AI than him. He wanted to use AI to change the world for the better.”

“Guess that didn’t really pan out.” Tony said.

“Indeed.” Hank said.

“So if you destroyed this thing, how is it still around?” Tony asked.

“I’m not sure.” Jeremy replied. Watching him speak was a bit disorienting as, though the translation filter could translate perfectly, it wasn’t fine tuned enough to perfectly match the mouth movements of the speaker. “My multi-agent program should have wiped it from the internet completely.”

Clint raised his hand unnecessarily. “There’s a high possibility I could be wrong but couldn’t somebody have downloaded it onto a flash drive or something? Then it wouldn’t be connected to the internet.”

“No way.” Jeremy replied. “XANA would be way too big to be held by a flash drive.”

“Unless it was self-replicating.” Hank interjected. “Then all you’d need is a small part of it and once it’s installed in a big enough computer it could expand.”

“So what we need to do is find out who downloaded this XANA thing and track them down.” Tony said.

“We’ll need a copy of that multi-agent program first.” Hank said. “So we can destroy it for good.”

“Hold on.” Yumi said, holding a hand up. “We can’t just hand this stuff out to people. Especially people we barely know anything about.”

“You can trust us.” Hank said reassuringly. “Well, you can trust me, at least. I can’t really vouch for S.H.I.E.L.D or Tony.”

“I’m trustworthy.” Tony protested.

“Tony, do you know how many supervillains you’ve accidentally created?” Hank asked.

“Not that many.” Tony pouted.

Hank ignored him and turned back to the kids. “Look, I understand that you’re apprehensive. You’ve spent a long time trying to prevent people from discovering all of this, especially law enforcement. But we could be dealing with actual real life supervillains here. We can’t afford to have anything held back.”

“He has a point.” Aelita admitted.

“I think that’s about everything we need.” Clint said. “Once you transfer the multi-agent program and any relative documents to Hank we’ll be on our way though I can’t promise there won’t be more visits in the future.”

Unlike Tony, Meredith didn’t have a fancy hologram communication system. She didn’t need it. A laptop computer did just fine. A really high tech laptop computer but a laptop computer with a processor almost as fast as she was but a laptop computer nonetheless.

“I still don’t understand why you didn’t invite me to your “interrogation”.” She said to Fury who was on the other end of the line. “I’d love to learn more about this AI.”

“Dr. Stinson, you’re a genius but right now we don’t need a genius, we need an expert.” Fury replied. “And nobody knows more about AI than Tony Stark and Hank Pym.”

“So I suppose my job here is done, then?” Meredith asked.

“Unless you want to take a vacation in Paris.” Fury said.

Meredith thought about it. “Maybe later.” She replied. “What about Vanessa? You don’t honestly plan to put her under surveillance.”

Fury shook his head. “No. We had a look through the files recovered from Project Cocoon and we’ve called in someone more equipped to deal with her than either of us.”

Meredith raised an eyebrow. “Are you always this cryptic?”

“Yes.” Fury replied uncryptically.

Author’s Note: In case you’re wondering why I mentioned Ladybug and Chat Noir in the previous chapter but they don’t show up to fight the big monsters, it’s because they’re too far away. I assume. Miraculous Ladybug has a weird grasp of space because they seem to be within walking distance of every major landmark. Then again I’ve never been to Paris so it’s possible it really is that small.

I was going to explain why they didn’t call in Meredith for the interrogation even though she was already there but I explained that in the story so I don’t have to. I do want to express an opinion, though: I believe Dr. Meredith Stinson is as smart as Reed Richards. Considering that, in addition to obviously being Sentinels’ local Flash expy she’s also their Reed Richards stand in when it comes to being a genius super scientist it only makes sense.

And one last thing. Like everything even remotely related to Marvel, this chapter has a post-credits scene. Well, technically it’s a post-Author’s Note scene but that’s besides the point. So, let’s get to that.

Vanessa knew she was in for trouble the moment the black jet landed on the sports field. For the past week following her display of power, the rest of school was terrified of her. As a result, Vanessa became more paranoid. She started intentionally listening in on people’s thoughts again, something she had sworn off doing.

That was how she knew about the jet despite having not seen it personally. And that was how she knew it had to be here for her. From the looks of it, it was military grade. At least, that’s how her layman’s perspective classified it. Clearly, some government organization or other was there to throw her in a cell and do crazy experiments on her.

Her suspicions were confirmed when she was called to the principal’s office for the second time in a week. She considered running but concluded she likely wouldn’t get far. Not without using her powers again, at least.

She walked to the principal’s office and entered to find, not government agents, but a bald man in a wheelchair and a woman in blue and yellow spandex with shocking red hair. For some reason, she hadn’t seen either of them in the minds of the other students and teachers. That was odd. But what was even more odd was that she couldn’t read their minds. It was like she was running into a psychic wall.

“Hello Vanessa.” The man said. “My name is Professor Charles Xavier and this is Jean Grey.” He gestured to the woman.

“Pleased to meet you.” She said.

Vanessa stayed silent, trying to break past whatever wall was keeping her out of their heads. Professor Xavier chuckled. “Don’t try to read our minds, Miss Long. We both learned how to defend our minds against psychics a long time ago. After all, we’re psychics ourselves.”

Vanessa’s eyes widened. “You mean there are more psychics out there?”

Professor Xaviar nodded. “Many. In fact, that is why I am here.”

Vanessa raised an eyebrow. “What, you want to recruit me to be a superhero or something?”

Professor Xavier folded his hands on his lap. “No. I run a school for young mutants to learn to control their powers and be protected from those who might wish to do them harm. That is why I am here. I would very much like it if you were to attend.”

Vanessa held up her hands. “Hold on. I’m not a mutant. I got my powers from genetic experimentation.”

“That is true in a sense.” Professor Xavier replied. “You were, for a very brief time, experimented on by Project Cocoon while still in the womb but all it did was amplify your existing power to exponential levels.” He gave her a serious look. “Vanessa, you need proper training. The amount of power you have combined with your past trauma, well, forgive me for being blunt but you’re one mental breakdown away from another incident.”

Vanessa looked down. Jean stepped forward. “What the Professor means to say is that we want to help you.” She said in a soothing voice. She placed a hand on her chest. “I want to help you. I can teach you how to use your powers properly. Prevent them from getting out of control.”

“Jean is one of the most powerful psychics on the planet.” Professor Xavier exposited.

“I don’t want to use my powers.” Vanessa said. “I want to have a normal life.”

“We all want that.” Jean said empathetically. “Well, most of us. But being a mutant, especially a powerful one, attracts trouble. So please, come with us.”

Vanessa looked around the office. Jean was right. She did attract trouble. Maybe she’d be safer with people like her. She took a deep breath.

“Okay.” She said, trying hard to keep her voice from shaking. “I’ll come.”

“The Foundation,” eh? I wonder what that could be . . . ?

Edit: And now I just saw X-Metal’s other post. Question answered.

Author’s Note: Oh… I guess I spoiled it by accident. Was intended to be a surprise but, eh, what’re you gonna do. I would like to state that Sentinels and Marvels and The SCP Foundation Contains the Sentinels Multiverse definitely take place in different universe, hence the lack of references to any Marvel characters.

This chapter went through a lot of revisions. Originally it focused on Unity and Hank Pym visiting Mordengrad, then it opened with the current opening and then switched focus to Unity and Wasp visiting Mordengrad, and now we’re here.

So, yeah.

Chapter 3: Ghost in the Machine

Chapter Three

Ghost in the Machine

Briefing: Most of what S.H.I.E.L.D knows about the SCP Foundation is highly classified. Things like when it started, how it started, and who’s in charge are either unknown or under heavy security. What we can tell you is that they operated in secrecy for years, protecting the world from “anomalies” (read: anything weird or magical) by “containing” them, until an attempt to contain the hero Nightmist resulted in the accidental unleashing of a demon god and the destruction of San Francisco, forcing them into the light. The United Nations put their foot down after that, declaring that the Foundation was now under their jurisdiction or else. Thankfully, they seem to be going along with it as we’re pretty sure they could destroy us all any time they wanted.

Even under UN control the Foundation still largely operates as if it were a separate entity. They make their own calls as to when to intervene in affairs, regardless of what the rest of us think, though they also can’t disobey a direct order from the UN. The organization often takes actions that even we at S.H.I.E.L.D consider a bit extreme, stating that everything they do is completely necessary and that they never go farther than they need to. Usually.

All that said, when you don’t have a wizard on hand there’s almost nobody better equipped to deal with the weirder and more horrifying side of our universe than them.

Junior Researcher Jackson Halligan lay on the floor, investigating the wiring of the strange computer. As far as he could tell, it was a holographic projector of some sort. Not exactly anomalous. In fact, nothing they’d found so far seemed to be anomalous. He was starting to have doubts that the foundation was even needed.

He sat up and turned to his superior, Dr. Kim Howell. She was the Foundation’s top computer tech and was the person you called in when you had an anomalous program running amok. There were rumors she herself was anomalous following an incident with the remnants of SCP-6127, better known to the public as Omnitron. These were just rumors, of course.

“You know boss, I’ve gotta wonder. Why are we even here?” Jackson asked. “I mean, this thing is just an AI, right?”

Dr. Howell looked down her glasses at him. “Did you actually read the file, S.H.I.E.L.D gave us, Halligan?” She said the word S.H.I.E.L.D as if it were a bad word which, to the Foundation, it kind of was. The two organizations didn’t really like each other. “This AI is capable of possessing objects and people. It is not “just an AI.”” She shook her head. “There was a time when “just an AI” warranted an investigation on its own. Then Tony Stark comes along and now we employ them ourselves.”

Jackson raised an eyebrow. “Are you getting nostalgic?”

“No.” Dr. Howell replied bluntly.

“Okay then.” Jackson replied. “So what’s next?”

Dr. Howell didn’t answer, instead turning to one of the MTF soldiers accompanying them. “Power up the supercomputer.”

“Yes ma’am.” The MTF soldier said.

The soldier descended the ladder leading to the supercomputer room. Dr. Howell got into the chair attached to the ceiling and stretched, preparing to type. The computer activated and the monitor lit up. Dr. Howell’s eyes widened, unusual for her as normally nothing phased her.

“What is it?” Jackson asked, trying to look over her shoulder.

“This computer contains an entire virtual world.” Dr. Howell replied, almost sounding in awe at the discovery.

“What, like a video game?” Jackson asked.

Dr. Howell shook her head. “No, an actual, true virtual world. According to this, it’s called Lyoko and those devices below us are scanners that allow you to physically enter it.”

“Is that even poss-” Jackson began and then stopped himself and shook his head. “What am I saying, of course its possible.”

Dr. Howell began typing on the computer, faster than Jackson could see, and muttering to herself. She appeared to discover several video files but only one was of interest to her.

“Somebody attempted to delete this file.” She muttered. “What are they hiding?”

She moved the mouse over to the file and selected it. A security feed showing the main room of the lab where they were currently standing popped up. After a few seconds, a man dressed all in white seemed to just appear from nowhere onto the screen. He inserted a flash drive into the computer and began typing away at it. Then, he removed the drive and literally disappeared.

Dr. Howell swore uncharacteristically.

“What’s wrong?” Jackson asked. “Who was that?”

“That was the Ghost.” Dr. Howell said gravely. “One of the few people to successfully steal from the Foundation and the only one to get away with it.”

“Oh, that’s not good.” Jackson said. “Is there any way to find him?”

“Unfortunately, no.” Dr. Howell replied. “There’s no way to find him. He could be anywhere on earth.”

Meanwhile, across the ocean, in what was formerly a sleepy American town, the Ghost himself was sneaking into a secure (or not-so-secure) Foundation site. Specifically, Site-04, so dubbed because it was built around the ruins of Omnitron IV. Despite the factory being inactive following a battle with Omnitron-X, the Foundation had still set up a site there because every time they thought the thing was shut down for good it got back up and started wrecking shop again.

Ghost had no problem slipping past the Foundation’s security with his invisibility and intangibility. If he didn’t know better, he’d say their security was weaker than last time.

This wasn’t the first time he had snuck into this facility. The first time was a little over a week ago when he was hired to sneak an artificial intelligence he had previously been hired to steal into Site-04. Not exactly the weirdest job he’s taken. Now, he’s been hired again to turn that artificial on. Because apparently it couldn’t do that itself. Ah well, who was he to complain. It was more money in his pocket.

He slipped past some guards and into the factory itself. His goal: the center of the complex. To most people, the path to the center was a maze. To him, it was just a few wall phases away.

So that’s exactly what he did. He passed through a few rooms that didn’t really hold much interest to him, mostly abandoned assembly lines, until he arrived in the central chamber. The inactive eye of Omnitron stared down at him. Honestly, it kind of gave him the creeps.

Most of the room was a large pit. A thin bridge extended out halfway over it from the doorway a few feet to the left of where Ghost had entered, stopping just before Omnitron’s eye. The bridge had no railings which was extremely unsafe. OSHA would have a field day with this place if they knew about it.

Of course, he was supposed to cross that bridge. It was literally part of his instructions. Even if they hadn’t been, though, Ghost wasn’t stupid. Seeing how dangerous it was, he definitely would have had to cross it sooner or later.

He slowly walked over to the bridge and crossed it to the center. The platform below him glowed blue and a holographic screen popped up in front of him.

The screen had a keypad with the words “Enter Access Code” above it. This was no problem as Ghost also had the access code, assuming it hadn’t changed since he’d gotten it which it probably hadn’t. Sure enough, it worked and he was presented with a screen full of buttons. There was only one button he cared about, though. Whoever had installed this was nice enough to clearly label the power button. He pressed it.

As soon as he pressed it, the room filled with glowing blue lights. They ran up and down the walls and across the eye in the center. Then the eye glowed red and a symbol resembling another eye appeared at the center of it.

“Startup complete.” A robot voice said. “Activating production line.”

Author’s Note: So, yeah, “the Foundation” was the SCP Foundation. Probably obvious since what other options were there? The Future Foundation? Doubtful.

For the record, unlike the XANA thing, this was always intended to be part of the fic. The Foundation was the SCP Foundation from the start.

So, to elaborate on the mission briefing because I put way too much thought into this, the SCP Foundation essentially served the same purpose as they always do in most canons, staying hidden and containing Anomalies with exceptions that they either couldn’t contain, didn’t need to contain, or were better left uncontained (your average Sorcerer, for example, was perfectly willing to keep themselves a secret and the Sorcerer Supreme is essential to reality’s continued survival). Then along comes Legacy. Before the first appearance of the first Legacy, the Parsons family largely stayed under the Foundation’s radar. But Legacy was different. He was a very public figure and posed a threat to the Masquerade. But by the time the Foundation was able to do anything about it he had already become an American icon. That was the beginning of the end of secrecy. Superheroes, Supervillains, and generally powered individuals began popping up everywhere and the Foundation was unable to do anything about it.

Now, the Foundation had control issues. Sure, they acknowledged that they were there to serve the world, not control it but they always felt like they were in control so long as they could contain anomalies. So now that their control was slipping, they began to grow reckless, trying their best to contain any anomalies they could and maintain some modicum of control. Things eventually came to a head when they snapped and attempted to contain Nightmist while she was in the middle of a very important ritual, accidentally unleashing Gloomweaver and burning most of San Francisco to the ground (since then it’s been rebuilt as San Fransokyo with the help of the Japanese). Nightmist managed to banish Gloomweaver back to the Realm of Discord but the jig was up. The UN put their foot down, deciding the Foundation needed more oversight and to be revealed to the world. The Foundation tried to get out of this by threatening them but the UN called their bluff as actually declaring war on the world went against the Foundation’s creed and would reveal them anyways.

So, that’s basically what happened. The Foundation went through restructuring, which most of the Foundation wasn’t particularly happy about. The O5s were all replaced since they authorized the mission to attempt to contain Nightmist except for 13 who opposed it (I’m going with the “O5-13 is a random guy plucked off the street so he’s saner and more level headed than the rest of them” theory). Also, one of them is now a talking cat because why not. This is also why they didn’t notice XANA because their time travel division was defunded as mentioned before.

Things the SCP Foundation has done in this universe:

-They discovered the X-Gene long before anybody else, though they called it the Anomaly Gene or SCP-1163 (now SCP-1163-EX). They contained quite a few mutants (SCP-1163-1) before the 60s where knowledge of them became so widespread they were forced to reclassify it as explained. They released the mutants they contained, Amnesticizing most of them though a few managed to avoid having their memories wiped and ended up joining the Brotherhood of Mutants.

-Though containment failed, obviously, they actually can be heavily credited with the prevention of casualties during the Dreamer Event while the heroes were dealing with Vanessa directly.

-They’ve made several attempts to contain Haka over the years, all of which have ended in failure.

-Due to the existence of S.H.I.E.L.D, S.W.O.R.D, and the Foundation itself, F.I.L.T.E.R doesn’t exist and the Foundation takes a few of their accomplishments. Namely:

–The discovery of an interdimensional alien outpost, now Site-88 aka the Block.

–Briefly capturing Tempest when he first comes to earth.

-They briefly participate in the Armor Wars.

-They are aware of and monitor the Nexus of the Void but don’t dare mess with it as they’re acutely aware that doing so could kick off a chain reaction of events that end the world.

-As noted, they were responsible for the containment of Omnitron following the first and second incidents (though they missed some pieces with the second one that Baron Blade was able to get his hands on which didn’t result in a huge incident but did lead into Omnitron IV being created which is now under constant Foundation surveillance).

-Several items that would normally be in the care of Dr. Strange or Nightmist are in the care of the Foundation instead and vice-versa.

-They have a base in the Savage Lands. They also had a base on Insula Primalis before Citizen Dawn kicked them out, no-selled a bunch of nukes, and actively broadcasted both her existence and the existence of Insula Primalis to the rest of the world. The Citadel of the Sun is built on the remains of the old Foundation base.

-They worked alongside S.H.I.E.L.D during an equivalent to the events of the first Thor film. The Foundation wanted to contain Thor but S.H.I.E.L.D had already marked him down as an Avengers candidate.

Other fun facts about the Foundation in this universe:

-The Scarlet King may or may not be a singular entity of pure malevolence.

-SCP-3000 is either Jormangandr, the Midgard Serpent fabled to kill Thor at Ragnarok or Apophis, an egyptian snake demon whose main goal in life is to swallow Ra and by extension the Sun. I haven’t decided yet though given it’s at the bottom of the ocean the former probably makes more sense (SCP-3000 - Anantashesha written by A Random Day, djkaktus, and Joreth).

-Many of the sapient/sentient/whatever word is applicable SCPs who do not pose a threat to reality are not in SCP custody due to the Masquerade having basically been broken since day 1, even though the Foundation were in denial about it for the longest time.

-Due to the Masquerade officially breaking, several files have been released to the public. These consist of files that require the minimum level of clearance that even the lowest level (non-D-Class) Foundation employee has.

So Kim Howell is obviously Parse except she’s not called Parse here because she works at the Foundation instead of Revocorp and thus didn’t leave after the whole Cosmic Omnitron thing. Jackson Halligan, on the other hand, is a completely original character who mainly serves as the Watson in this situation and doesn’t really have much going for him. Don’t expect him to have an important role.

This version of Ghost is based on the version from Iron Man: Armored Adventures as that is not only my favorite version of the character but also one of my favorite Marvel villains of all time. I like him because even when he loses he still wins which is quite rare in animated TV Shows. Also, I literally just realized this chapter title is also the title of an episode from that show. Oh well, mine’s more literal anyways.

The SCP Foundation is owned by… nobody. Because that’s how their licensing works, I think. I will be crediting specific authors whenever I bring up SCPs from the wiki, though, because that’s the good thing to do.

Edit: Oh, and don’t worry about Omnitron-X, he’s already out of Omnitron IV.

1 Like