Spiff's Tactics accessories <Best Player Aid Idea 2014 Award Winner>

I added files for tile #1 of the Insula Primalis map to the terrain collection on my site.  I'm hoping that since everything's made of rocks in Insula Primalis, this set of elevations can act as a template for the rest of the tiles and they won't end up being as much work as having to create semi-unique buildings for every hex.  We'll see if that translates into me posting the files any faster than before or not. :)

I hate to do this once I've posted something, but I decided I didn't like the way the cliff walls looked in the "tile 1" file, so I've changed it.  The difference is subtle, and if you've already printed out the first one, you may not even feel like you need to redo it.  The only difference is that in the first file I posted, the rocks on the sides of the terrain looked small and thin, which I didn't like.  The new file has cliff sides made of rocks which look bigger (they match the volcano sides better now), which I think looks better.

The rest of the Insula Primalis terrain I make will be patterned off this new look.

Insula Primalis' tile #2 has been added to the package of terrain on my site.

I posted Insula Primalis tiles #3, #4, and #5 to the package on my site.  Since #7 has no elevations on it and #8 is the volcano which I've already finished, that just leaves tile #6 to complete.

Tile #5 has that little box canyon, and I tried to find something special I could do to that 3-tile elevation in the middle, but I couldn't find anything that looked good.  I wanted it to have gold veins along the sides or crystals growing out of it or something, but nothing looked right.  Too bad. :(

Thanks!!!! I finished the buildings yesterday and started to play against baron blade....buildings make everything easier!!! Like LOS and range are not a problem anymore... then started subzero against omnitron, another epic battlle... a little bit difficult ro muve omnitron around but still fun

now thinking about making sunzero impaling structure it will be so much fun to see how puting one over the other increase the level where you are standing!

That looks fantastic!

I have always hated the look of miniatures on a flat map, just annoyed me.  Now I'm thinking I want that skyline, and so now I want the miniatures too.

That looks fantastic.

Who is zis "subzero"? We start playing Mortal Kombat or zomzing?

Hi Guys,

@Spiff.... Can I just say your work looks totally stunning!!  I'm massively impressed with your skill and work my friend!

I've just picked up tactics and played my first game last night and this would improve the game 10 fold.

Craig :)

Thanks.  Enjoy!

After an irritating (I'm sure) delay, I've finally added the last tile of terrain to the Insula Primalis set.  It's got waterfalls!

Spiff you are a crazy and wonderful person. Would it be too much to ask for some photos of papercraft Insula Primalis? The Megalopolis ones look great!

I have no photos of Insula Primalis because I haven't actually printed out a full set.  Each of the Megalopolis buildings was a unique combination of the shape of the terrain and the building art itself, so I printed and assembled each one to make sure I had it right.  In Insula Primalis, there's pretty much just level-2 rocks and level-3 rocks (plus the volcano, of course), so once I had the template for each type of rock nailed down, I could replicate it without needing to print it and assemble it each time to make sure I had it correct.

Are you just curious, or was there an actual need behind your question?

I'm just curious and want to see how it looks =). No biggie!

Now I'm kind of interested in 3D printing these. Maybe I'll get a couple printed as a test and see how they do.

My group played with the Megalopolis terrain and loved it and are putting subtle pressure on me to make an Insula Primalis set, so it'll probably happen sometime.

I'm wondering if for Insula Primaris if finding some old Heroscape terrain wouldn't be easier/cheaper than 3d printing it. ;)

Maybe, but that kind of misses the point of having a fun papercraft project to complete, doesn't it? ;)

I have to admit, I'm not in love with the Insula Primalis terrains.  I think the rock texture is too high-contrast, and I'm afraid that if I were to print the entire set, the terrain would make the gameboard too busy (this is in contrast to the Megalopolis terrains which are colorful but still relatively flat, so they don't have that problem).  I'd love to use something like the ground textures in WoW (sort of cartoony but still look nice), but I haven't spent the time to do a thorough internet search to see if those are even available.

I found something online I like for the rocks, so I may take another shot at them.  If you like them how they are now, feel free to print them.  If you're interested in waiting to see if I can make the new thing work, you may want to wait.

How do you store your Megalopolis terrain?  I'm intersted in crafting it but there is no way it'd going in the game box