Spiff's Tactics accessories <Best Player Aid Idea 2014 Award Winner>

I'm not sure how many people are using these, but I've updated the "standups" file on my site so that Unity's bot and Visionary's decoy projection use the new Tactics art rather than old SotM art.  While I was at it, I decided to get a little crafty and figured out a way to make a Blazing Tornado standup that is actually tornado shaped (you can see it in the pic below).  I would have liked to make the tornado taper even more than it does, but if it tapers too much, you can't get your finger inside it anymore which makes gluing things down difficult, so I left it as is.  I think it still looks pretty cool.  The file still contains the original simple version if you don't want to hassle with constructing a tornado.

I also made alternate versions of the Impaling Structure standups which are star shaped and so look more ice-spikey while still being something you can set a unit on top of.  They look really great next to the 3D buildings; it really looks like ice is errupting from the streets. They're simple to make, but I included the old version which are basically triangular boxes (like Omnitron-V in the pic) in case that's more your bag.

![](upload://qLWK0J9IQOWNYtkWuoMxbq2SLiR.jpeg)

standups_500.jpg

I've added buildings for tile #2 (Riverside) to the terrain file on my site.  No more avoiding it... now I need to figure out how to build the Freedom Tower (gulp).

I liked the design you started during playtesting. Will that not work?

Nope, mine stands straight up and takes up only a single hex.  The Tower on tile #8 lays over in a way that makes sense in 2D but is all kinds of crazy in 3D.

I'm planning on including my single-hex Freedom Tower with the batch one I get it finished.  It's still a cool little Freedom Tower people can make and put on their desk or something if they wanted.

Spiff, you are amazing and your hard work is appreciated!  Can't wait to print it all out and have some fun!

Making Freedom tower fit the hexes, elevation and look even remotely like a building shaped like an "F" is not going to be possible.

Bet me?

Well, Maybe not impossible for someone with a transmogrifier.

It fits the hexes, elevation, and looks remotely like a building shaped like an "F" (barely).  It's definitely an awkward building, but I think it's acceptable.

You can see in the pic there's a square of window panels missing along the vertical trunk of the "F".  I discovered that when I was nearly finished putting together the structure, but I'll update the file so that the template is correct.   I'll do that after work tonight and then upload the finished file, and then Megalopolis will be complete!

![](upload://fs5yPp8ApPwONRyMELRoDDOTfAO.jpeg)

freedom_tower_0.jpg

What's the next project?

I assume it looks good fromt he opposite side.

That's actually a pretty good job.

It looks fine from the other side but not quite as good.  From the side showing in the pic, you can see that the hexes curve towards the viewer, which helps make the top arm of the "F" be an appropriate length compared to the rest of the building.  From the back, those hexes are curving away from the viewer which enlongates the effect and makes the top arm look too long.  It still looks like an "F" and it still looks fine, just not as good.

Dunno.  There seems to be enough interest in the terrain that maybe I should get started on Insula Primalis terrain now that Megalopolis is done.  I should also maybe get started organizing what I'll need for the WotC accessories and making placeholder stuff so I can drop in the final art and text once it's available.  And then there was that request for small versions of the Vengeance villains.  If people have votes about any of that or something else they wish I'd make, I'd be open to hearing them.

Geek and Sundry just put up a video to make a DnD dice tower: http://geekandsundry.com/vlogs/e/diy-dd-dice-tower/paul-mason-the-diy-guy

Can you use that to make a template for a Tactics one?

I could totally make a Tactics dice tower (probably), but I'd do it with cardstock not foamcore which would probably make assembly easier.  It should work OK, I think.  No way to know until I try.

However, that's probably not higher priority than a full set of Insula Primalis terrain, yeah?

I'm ready for Insulis Primalis.  :slightly_smiling_face:

The terrain file on my site now contains a complete set of Megalopolis buildings, including a bonus - my playtest version of the Freedom Tower, back when I thought it would be a single-hex building.

Anything new coming?

Oy, I was just thinking about this this morning, wondering if anyone had noticed I'd gone dark on the subject.  The truth is, I got sidetracked by a personal project, and then something new got posted for playtesting which I jumped into.  But the Insula Primalis terrain should be simpler than the Megalopolis terrain was (it's all rocks, not individual buildings), so I'll try to get moving on that.  I promise to have something by this weekend, sooner if I can.

I have the volcano mostly ready to go from my time playtesting Tactics.  Maybe I'll dust that file off, make sure it still works for the released version of the game, and post that one to start.

I updated the terrain file to include the Insula Primalis volcano.  It was pretty much ready to go from playtesting and all I had to do was add a few instructions.  That should give you something to chew on until I can find time to do more.

Cool! Thanks!