The Best Heroes-A Statistical Community Effort

well I can throw up that question on the Suvey - we may never figure out how to use it, but it be good to have it i think (done) 

Fair enough did not think of the time stamp.

Going to add another game just played, just beat Apostate

Clarification: When a card says single source, is it an instance of damage or from one card?

Probably best Koey if you start a new thread for your questions - gonna try and keep this thread on track :p

.... and now slightly off track, having been staring and studying the Arkham Horrors statistics sheet for hints and ideas on how to format ours, I've noticed something.

Awp, Flamethrower? You both played way to much Arkham Horror :P

I'm borrowing quite heavily from the AH page, but you can see my (SUPER) Work In Progress here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqClP82b_XgZdGJKUVJRakJmZ3RMX2pFUjB3MEtBWHc#gid=0

This looks pretty sweet,   you're doing great.    and yes, between the two of us we submitted over 300 individual games of Arkham (we played in most of them together, but no double-submissions!) and thats not counting all the games we played before we really started submitting them.  If you motor through it (which we usually did) a game of Arkham takes about 2 hours, so that gives you some idea of how much we played that game =p. 

How about all the 3-4+ hour games at the start. :o

Well, we had all those out of the way before the statistics tracking process began. 

That doesn't mean they didn't add to total hours you invested in the game!

OKay. Back on track :p

I think the most interesting page ive made so far will be this one: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqClP82b_XgZdGJKUVJRakJmZ3RMX2pFUjB3MEtBWHc#gid=3

As you can see that page lays it all out by Villain. I'm doing another page similiar that will lay it out by Hero. Also awesome bout those pages is that once i fill in the information on those two i can have it automatically populate to the other pages.

In terms of "length" are you looking for time, or number of rounds? That could perhaps use clarification?

good call. 

both! 

(So I added a new question)

I don't expect that round one to be filled in often. Its more of an 'Idle curiosity, how long does a game often last?'

Oh I think its far more than idle curiosity. It will show if length of game correlates to wins/losses, and if longer combats are better against certain villains, etc. I think it will be quite interesting!

Yeah I agree its a great stat to have - But I don't think it will be filled in very often. I may put an 'Average Game Length' field tho somewhere

Oh geeze, I didn't even realize this thread existed. I have a chart with around 260 games I've played, just for fun... It's heavily skewed with alot of outliers though because I have 3 different playgroups and each playgroup has different amounts of experience and playstyles. I think I'll keep it out of the mix. I'm curious to see how my results differ from the collect forumites data which HAS to be more accurate then mine. (Legacy, Haka, then Mr. Fixer have the highest Win % for reasons I can explain in the case of Haka and Fixer)

It didn't exist before a couple days ago :) And why are your groups any different from anyone elses? I can't speak for everyone, but 260 games seems like a gem of data.

Considering Josul this thread just started this morning, Its not surprising :p

Awesome that you have that data though! Share some of it perhaps in this thread? It be cool to look at.

I have three playgroups.

The First is the university crowd, where I run games for the local gaming organization. It's not uncommon for people who are "half-baked" or new to the game and want to try it out or are very easily distracted and not pay attention or unable to play except on rare occasions. Their skill level is low, and they are very biased on who they pick based on how they look, so Tempest, Nightmist, Absolute Zero, Expatriette, Ra, and Fanatic are picked alot in this group. This group also tends to play extremely selfishly and end up losing close games. 

I also have a casual group, they play with the "pubbies" but know the decks fairly well and do pay attention. They tend to pick heroes at random and have a better win/loss rate. With this group, I have about a 40% win rate due to random heroes sometimes resulting in games where all the heroes dogpiled Ra due to a complete lack of ongoing/environment removal. 

My last playgroup is the "pro" card players. They take all games really seriously (One of them actually became the top sealed MTG player in my state for a short stint). They skew the graph because this group has an 80% win rate on normal modes, and 40% win rate on hardmodes (Not counting classic BB/omnitron from before EE since they count for alot of the advanced mode wins). Haka, and Fixer are two of the players' favorite heroes, and in the meanwhile the university crowd pick them rarely so their win ratio is inflated. 

As a result, I have distinct population separation in my samples. I am willing to wager that if a mass of people enter their data, you will have a better distribution of skill-levels instead of having distinct peaks making for a more accurate representation. 

I only kept track of how many times a hero was picked, how many times they won, how many times a villian was fought/won with hard-mode being separate.

You raise interesting points... but ... thats awesome part of data collection

What I would suggest? Enter a few games in a week - not all 260 of em. Do like 20 or 30 games total a month (5 or 10 from each of your play groups, for instance) and put them in over time. You're right - if you enter /all/ the data in right now, it would skew the comparisions to be -your- playgroup, cause even in a months time there probably wont be enough data otherwise.

But this is overall data. When I put in games?  Its going to be very much like your last group. We're all pro(ish) players. We have a 80-90% win rate. We all play Legend of the Five Rings competitively (Some better than others << >> ... ie not me.) - we have a couple of players who routinely get into the final cut of the Koteis.  - Or very very close to doing so. 

The data we're collecting is going to (eventually, months down the road) be all inclusive. Its going to include the ones just having fun and screwing around (Your college group) and its going to include the pros. And its going to include the middleground. We need it all.  Afterall, if Tachyon routinely ends up in a winning group even with a hundred 'screwing around' games with her, its going to show she is more effecient at winning than others (I'm not convinced this will be the case but thats what the data is for! :P)

But i would suggest slowly entering it. Put in 15-30 games a month until you get through them, then just put in the games you usually play each month. That way you wont overly skew the first couple months data.

I am going to say, however - This is not going to be like the Akrham horror one. Having played that game a few times, its a Fantasy Flight Game - and a lot of those games are kinda -ment- for you to loose more than you win XD

I think that even against 4s, you are still ment to win quite a lot - I'm willing to bet there will be far far far more wins than looses. I mean in my playgroup, like I said, we only loose one or two times a month.  

edit:::

Assuming your data fits with what we're collecting. If it doesnt, well then that makes sense  too :P

The win rate on the Arkham Horror one is currently 63%, which is quite definitively won more than lost.  The data set is perhaps skewed, though it's hard to really tell in what way.  The people who are the type to fill out an online form to log their plays are the type of people who spend their time on the forums, seeking perhaps to better their play.  They would also, perhaps, be more the type to try out the harder villains and not mind losing to them as much, or keep using the weaker characters in an effort to get them to do better.

Yeah, Sentinels is in general an easier game, but the complex levels of difficulty make for some interesting numbers to track.  I suspect we'll see a good share of losses as well.

Indeed. And ive put together some different trackign ways then they are in that AH one - they just track by individual Old One and Investigator, im going to see if a given hero wins more often against a given Villain or in a given environment ect. 

I've submitted a play. Now, where do I see the stats?