Weekly One-Shot #48: Make It "To Go"

I'll try to explain a little! :smiley: Spoiler boxed for highlighting:

PW Cosmic using constructs to save heroes: Lambent Reaper goes after whatever has the lowest HP. So: First on your turn throw out a Construct and activate your base power. Then when Lambent kills that construct, shuffle it back into your deck and immediately choose to play another one from your hand; doesn’t matter which one. Then when that one gets killed too, choose to play another one, etc. until you run dry of constructs.

PW Argent using his power to heal: Taking advantage of playing Inspiring Supertonic means every time you use your base power Argent also gets to activate the “heal 2 HP” aspect of Supertonic, which is nice in a pinch.

PW Fanatic: Since she takes a lot of damage in this game, throw out Wrathful Retribution, then use either Vernal Sonata or Reclaim From the Deep (I forget which one came out most) to stick it back in hand so you can throw it out there again. I think I got a good 35 HP taken off Infinitor just from this alone.

Prime Wardens Fanatic doesn't even need a card to be in her hand to play it.

Near mint for me!  Big difference going is being careful around environment turn 3 to try and keep one of the manifestations alive so Infinitor doesn't flip back- the first time I tried it I got cocky when resurrection ritual revived a manifestation,  but I then I lost another construct to Master of Ceremonies,  and then like two more Masters of Ceremonies came out.  When Infinitor flipped and put out another whackload of manifestations,  I went back and tried it again.   Note that there are reshuffles that happen so while the start isn't random,  the environment played out differently after my undo so I think pulling out True Form and reshuffling will change things,  and probably also Captain Cosmic's power shuffles his deck plenty so the constructs he has will change a lot too.  I went all in on Turn 3 and finished him off then.

The biggest boon from PW Fanatic's power with this team would be the power use - it was huge to get another Argent Adept activation from that.  

PW Argent Adept is great for getting set up if a bit random.

I didn't end up using PW Tempest's power,  but it was my backup plan to finish off Infinitor - I had an Aquatic Correspondence to dig for more damage, although not much health ha!  

I used PW Haka's power to get out a ground pound - note that it can be any card, it's just that Haka's can be redirected.

Zealous Offense was huge this game.

I should have had Mint. I totally forgot you have to discard for Wrathful Retribution so I had to use Undo to go back to Fanatic’s start of turn. Then I had to double skip her turn 3 to get enough cards to play it again in round 4, and have Haka use his base power to Haka of Restoration her. My tip: leave out the Divine Focus (for the self-damage) but DON’T use it. I did a total of 50 damage just with WR.

In my opinion, this game couldn’t have been set up better if I had stacked the decks. I had an Emboldened Tempest using double Hailstorms and putting the Wrathful back in Fanatic’s deck, Haka using Mere on Infinitor, and AA feeding cards. I coincidentally played Ground Pound the turn that True Form came out, so that was nice too. The good Captain had his constructs to get blown up, and Autonimous Blade was quite helpful (dealing as much damage as Haka.)

This is what I did for a turn 3 win.  CAVEAT:  I'm doing this from memory so some of the details are off.

spoilers below

[color=white]

For this game the environment doesn't really matter if you do it right.

Turn 1: CC plays anything but Augmented Ally.  Argent plays Inspiring Supertonic, conducts for Bulwark, use the accompany to give Tempest a card.  Fanatic, Embolden on Haka, use power to flip Divine Focus.  Haka, play and use Mere and for power #2 play Haka of whatever.  Tempest, play Hailstorm to plink Infinitor for 1.  Your goal on turn 1 is to hurt Fanatic and make sure Tempest has the most cards in hand so he get the Crushing Cages that come out on turn 2 and 3

Turn 2: Infinitor flips, your squad  takes a lot of pain,  .  Note how the manifestations are arrayed and sequence the hits out so Fanatic takes the most pain.   CC puts Augmented Ally on Argent.   Argent - with Augmented Ally, use Conduct to give Fanatic a card.  Search up the harmony-rhythm instrument on your play phase.  Use it to give Fanatic a power use, Fanatic will give Haka a power use.  Haka will hit Infinitor in the face.  In general, Bulwark's Accompany should feed Fanatic cards for Divine Focus fodder.   Fanatic , take the 4 damage from Divine Focus and Brutal Censure Infinitor.  Damage yourself with power and give Argent a power use to Supertonic Haka to whack Infinitor with Mere.   Haka , play Ground Pound so your team doesn't die - discard Ta'Moko and Dominion.  Use Mere for power#1.   I think the manifestation that reduces all damage to 1 is out, so I think you can play rampage with your other power usage to keep Infinitor on his flip side.  If not, do something else.  Tempest, if you're not caged play Aquatic Correspondence and if you will end up tied or above Haka in hand size go ahead and ball lightning Infinitor's face with your power.  Otherwise, just double skip.   Your goal on turn 2 is to throw all spare damage at Infinitor and make sure Tempest has the most cards in hand so he gets the Crushing Cage that comes out on turn 3.  Fanatic can Divine Focus the bad guy as long as she keeps enough cards in hand to play her Wrathful Ret next turn.  I know she has a Prayer of Desparation she can play on turn 2 to feed her cards for Divine Fouc, but I think that's a trap play.  It's far more important to get a power use so she can damage herself and enable Haka to whack Infinitor and fuel his own Haka of Battle.  I did not play Rampage in my game, but do the math and if it's safe to do it (i.e., won't cripple Fanatic) go for it - remember you're not taking damage next turn b/c of ground pound so damage to Fanatic is entirely under your control .)   

Turn 3:  LOL at the bad guys because of ground pound.  Tempest gets a Cage.   CC  - iirc you should have drawn Automated Blade - put it on Fanatic.  if I'm wrong about that, do whatever causes damage to Infinitor. Argent  - do same thing as Turn 2.   Fanatic , by now you should be in single digit health and have 4 cards in hand.  If you can do this without dying, take the 4 damage from Divine Focus again.  Play Wrathful for about 24 .  On your power phase, don't die so you can keep Embolden out.  Haka, by now you should have a Haka of Battle - the three things you will do are Elbow Smash, Haka of Battle the rest of your hand and Mere.  Infinitor should be dead.  If not he'll be low enough that you can finish him off next turn.

[/color]

Thanks for the Near Mint! :) (I wasn't going to attempt this again on my own with that bug lurking around...)

Here is why I prefer the Prime Warden versions:

PW AA:  The Argent Adept is all about setup.  Its the major weakness of his character- he needs cards in play- LOTS of them- to function at peak efficiency. This version sacrifices the ability to easily access the "perform" abilities in order to get more cards out per turn for the AA, which lessens the setup time for those fights where speed is crucial.  You have to rely more on your instruments to really get the combinations you want, but his cards support that heavily. The base power also supports using the "put a card on the bottom of the deck" part of arcane cadence, making it even more useful.

PW Captain Cosmic:  While you won't get as many construct out with this version, it is infinitely more useful against villains (like Infinitor) who do a lot of AoE attacks. Instead of wiping out everything, you get the option to use things like Construct Cataclysm and Conservation of energy midstream to wipe your own constructs first and get a bunch of cards (or card plays) in the process. You'll find he pairs extremely well with a hero who can grant bonus card plays (much like Unity), which makes him such a great teammate with the Adept.  

PW Haka: I've often underestimated things like "Vitality Surge".  This version of Haka won't be doing damage immediately, but you can set yourself up as a tank far more effieciently by getting his support cards (like dominion) out faster, or by using cards that grant card draws (like vitality surge or Haka of…cards) to get to what you want faster. I generally transistion to using the Mere or Taiha about halfway through the game, but there are plenty of times when I just keep playing two cards.  Elbow smashes, vitality surges, and even rampages to trigger constructs. Using the Haka cards on other people can be situationally amazing as well- like making sure Fanatic does enough damage to keep Zealous Offense around, or giving someone a jolt of HP, or shielding tempest to give him an extra card play with his base (PW) power. I tend to use them as fast as I get them- instead of saving for one big punch, its all about spreading the effects around in small doses. 

PW Fanatic: Hands down, this is my favorite version of her. You run the risk of playing a card you don't want (like end of days), but you can do SO much!  giving someone else a power is huge. Giving HER a power is huge- note that she is doing radiant damage to herself, so you can use Sacrosanct Martyr for even bigger hits. She is VERY reliant on her teamates to stay alive and not burn out, but the wardens are all about supporting each other in exactly that way. Also note that Zealous Offense relies on you doing 3 points of damage… which her PW base power does to her.  So go on the offensive through self mutilation!

PW Tempest: BE JUDICIOUS.  Serioiusly. He's got lots of other powers, and this one is all about using it just the right amount. You can seriously run out of cards if you burn through your hand, in addition to the ever present problem of getting hurt!  BUT, that being said, playing 4 cards is tremendously nasty in the right place at the right time. You can set up multiple passive effects to be ready next turn (like lightning storm and the Subwave inducer), or get out multiple powers so that they are ready for use the next turn.  you HAVE to plan ahead, but you will reap tremendous rewards and have power turns when Tempest obliterates the villain with a fistful of lightning. As a side note, The best combo you can get is to have the subwave inducer and Otherwordly resilience- having them both out (with the inducer tuned to lightning) cuts the cost down to 1 HP per card.  Thats an amazing deal!  Just remember that Tempest has a lot of other powers at beck and call, so only use the arc of power to set up and to unleash hell.

hope this helps!

[ color=white ] With no Spaces [ /color ]

Gives you spoiler text

Mint.

Quiet a bit of fun in a mathy sort of way. Get Fanatic down as low as possible, while plucking away at Infinitor was my plan. I set it up on the final turn so that Haka Rampaged Out of turn to get Fanatic down to one. She then played Wrathful Retribution which got Infinitor down to single digits and Tempest (who at one stage had all three Crushing Cages on him) finished things off with Ball Lightning.

Yay math!

Near Mint.

I forget how that game went as I enjoyed the Prime Warden teams synergy so much I've played it a couple more times. That said I figured out how to defeat him in round 2. Steps to get it to work:
CC: augment ally AA, use base power

AA discard onslaught and use base power puts the drawing cards accompaniment in play and use it on fanatic or tempest so they will get the crushing cages. Play the find an instrument card and put the lyre or harp into play I suggest the lyra so we can have fanatic or tempest draw another card.

Fanatics turn doesn't really matter use her power on CC so he has 2 instances of his power going.

I have Haka ramage and get rid of the constructs starting with the eye and then base power for mere.

tempest whatever, I played aoe cold damage and used it.

environment turn nothing exciting.

villian turn constructs are played and crushing cage goes on someone not AA CC or Hakka, my case fanatic. Augment ally is destroyed play as many constructs as possible i forget if it was 1 or 2 draw a card if you can't play another.

CC's turn play a construct use base power.

AA put inspiring supertonic in play use lyra to have CC use his power again and draw a card.

Fanatic's turn my game she had crushing cage so all she did was power to have AA use lyra again and do the same thing.

Haka's turn elbo smash a construct and then hit it with mere we need to trigger CC's power.

At this point you've essentially won. Draw 2 cards and by now you will have conservation of energy which will let you destroy as many constructs as you want which since we have 3 instances of his power means each one lets us draw or play a card. destroy a construct in play draw 1 or 2 cards play 1 or 2 constructs until you get construct cataclysm then using your base power play that starting a whole new chain of destroying constructs again draw 1 or 2 cards play 1 or 2 constructs. You can keep this up until you have enough damage on contruct Cataclysm to destroy infinitor. 

That said it takes a little while and I would start mixing in some Potent Disruptions as they do 5 damage each and then once infinitor is lower then your Cataclysm you can stop using your base power and let the cataclysm die out and win the game or just keep playing poten disruptions till he dies. 

At one point I played dynamic siphon and destructive response to let CC use his base power one more time bring the total up to 4 instance, but it's not needed.

So that's how to beat the one shot on haka's second turn.

By the way I think PW:CC's power in the game is currently broken because once you get to 3 instances active and play conservation of energy or construct cataclysm in one game he can play as many cards as he wants and win the game by himself. It's a near infinite loop the only thing that stops it from being infinite is the player not playing anymore constructs.

This is the same type of loop as Absolute zero and ra or visionary with fixed point in time and twist the either or imbude with fire in play and keep dealing absolute zero damage until it's enough to kill the boss or setbacks friendly fire and mr fixer with dual crow bars with fixed point in time except a lot easier because CC can do the combo with any team and any environment.

It can be broken but Handelabra has been told by Christopher it is a stackable power now that the instead has been removed.  

So my infinite Cataclysm is still a thing?

(and yes, I’m laying claim to it. I saw it first, the day they first showed the image of the promo online, before it got the Instead fix.)

If you want to kick the broken level up a notch add guise's "I can do that too". Becuase I like trying combos just did this in a game against Akash'bhuta. defeated her before the environment got a turn. PW CC, guise, PW AA, Legacy dad, and fanatic. Dynamic Syphon on PW CC fisrt turn use power, guises turn doesn't have "I can do that too" So i play retcon for a card draw and base power for a card draw and get " I can do that too" damage Dynamic Syphon and use base power again. PW CC play Syncopated Onslaught and base power to do 1 damage to dynamic siphon and base power again, hit the golden 3 uses. Legacy has everyone draw a card and then guise use a power who plays "I can do that too" and now has his own absorption and hits Dynamic Syphon for a forth absorption on PW CC. fanatic plays her sword and destroys Dynamic Syphon. I chain some Potent Disruption even using them to destroy constructs in play until i get Construct Cataclysm and then the chain reaction starts eventually both guise and CC get aother instance of absorption leading to this:

1.CC draw/play

2.CC draw/play

3.CC draw/play

4.guise draw/play

5.CC draw/play

6.guise draw/play

7.CC draw/play

CC kept constructs out, and played with destroying the sword and put it back and dealing low damage to dynamic syphon on giuse so he could hit things. Guise played his one shots and this continued till Akash'bhuta was dead. I had fun coming up with ways to abuse this further, that said it is broken. You should not be able to have a hero team that can kill the villian in the first round.

That has been possible since Shattered Timelines.

I don't see how Shattered Timlines created an limitless damage loop that can be pulled off before the environment turn. I mean I know of a few Limitless loops in Time Cataclysm with fixed point in time, but to be able to take advantage of that before the second round would require quite the ideal setup. Limitless loops during fixed point in time that I can think of is AZ's isothermic transducer with twist the ether or imbued with fire which would require AZ taking 1 fire damage before the villian turn possible one way with guises selling out. The other loop I know of is Setback's friendly fire and Mr. Fixers' Dual Crowbars allowing him to constintly deal damage to setback and then another target one possible way would be with guise dealing damage to dynamic siphon on Mr. Fixer. I love fixed point in time's shenanigans, letting do things you normally couldn't, but it's one environment card and the hero's have to be ready to take advantage of it.

PW CC's power as it stand can be pulled off before the first envornment turn pretty much with any allys as long as he starts with dynamic siphon which is a 27.73% chance to start the game with. Alternitively you just build the team around it and have legacy dad and PW Fanatic or the Prime warden team itself. This loop isn't a hard thing to pull off. As it  stand PW CC, legacy's dad, and PW Fanatic probably have close to a 99% win rate against any villain and environment combo. There shouldn't be an I win team comp even in a non competitive co-oprative game.

Oh rules question related to this loop if Destructive Response triggers and then is destroyed and the second Destructive Response is played it can trigger but if you replay a Destructive Response after it has been activated once and destroyed it still maintains it's having triggered that turn. Is this intentinal that the card should be maintaining it's triggered state while destroyed?

Bug

Rook City Wraith uses her power to put Fixed Point into play.

Ra plays Imbued Fire.

Absolute Zero plays Isothermic Transducer.

Absolute Zero deals himself an unbounded amount of fire damage to deal an unbounded amount of fire damage to a target.